Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

We are enthusiasts of what?

Started by Katsa · 14 Apr 2018 · 40 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

KatsaArchived member
Thought I'd have a little rant on here. Was just strolling through Facebook, and my feed kept on getting updated with discussions from not only Vl followers but other cars too. The topics that continually pop up are 'what's my car worth' and 'show us pics of your car and how much would you ask' Then occasionally you get a link to an expensive car and have a pack of responses like, 'hope it sells for that, it makes mine more valuable'. 10 years ago all we wanted to do and discuss were cruise around, build fast cars and talk about who's the quickest on the street and how they're not really a street car cause there using e85 and 255's. When did we become money enthusiasts and not car enthusiasts?
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Totally agree - couldn’t care if the car is worth a $1. A Vl turbo to me is the only car I don’t get sick of (so far since 1998). I’d daily one if I knew it could be left somewhere with out getting damaged or lost. So many people when they see our cars, the first thing besides “that’s nice” is the subject of monetary value. That’s when I lose interest with conversation with people. I suppose it hasn’t changed Katsa and I could be wrong but I’m Guessing in the 70s/80s whenever, these conversations (how much they are worth) were still prevalent.
0 likes
deenoArchived member
Totally agree Katsa, blew the auto in mine 5 years ago rolled off the back of the tow truck and has been in the garage ever since. I hate people asking what i reckon it'd be worth bla bla, i genuinely love the car don't make a difference to me what it's worth as i have no intention of selling. Just need the funds to get her back on the road lol. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Yep, it's getting abit much, literally have people calling me that are cashed up asking if they should buy a certain car because and I quote, "guys asking 20k and I've seen them listed for sale for 40k" From people that used to hang sh1t on me for liking vlts as a kid cause they were 'ugly boxes, and muzza/wog cars' I will be looking forward to the day all the "investors" piss of from the Vl scene. I would go as far as saying, when/if the day comes where I'm sick of vls, I would almost give a car to a fellow enthusiast, terms are strictly must not re sell for a dollar, must give to another enthusiasts and he must also adhere to the above.
0 likes
deenoArchived member
Ha yeah that'd be the day. The thing people may not understand when something is for sale, it will only sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for it anyway. I came from the era when genuine vlts were for sale for under 10k if it was a shmick calais or bt1 maybe 10-12 lol i miss that. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
Do you know what my VL's are worth? 1 Marinello V8 BT1 with a group 3 body kit (apart from calais front) 1 Calais Turbo (converted) Morning blue, and manual, with new paint (in july) kkthxbai i haven't driven my car in 3 years. i honestly coudlnt give a flying **** as to what it's worth, i put a value of 30k on kalay, and 30k on the BT1 kalay because that's what it has cost me, and what it will cost me to replace her. the bt1, how many red v8 bt1's are around? only reason for a value is for insurance. other than that, i can't wait to just get in my car, hit boost in 2nd, and keep driving. i don't care about cruises, i don't care about clubs, i care about getting in my car, driving it and that's it. when i first joined ct, 15 or so years ago (<<< read there) people were syaing, lower it more, put these wheels, do this do that... never have i done any of that. my cars are built for me, by me, for my own enjoyment. my little brother is going to the trouble of smoothing his engine bay, this and that, for others, i don't give a **** what others think. i gave the bt1 to myother brother, with 3 very strict rules. he can't sell it need full comp insurance bodykit stays imagine the bt1 efficanatios that will have a heart attack later this year when the bt1 finally, after 16 years drives out of the driveway, with it's very "wog" plates and a body kit. best thing? will be the first drive to the previous owners house, he was crying when i picked it up. i can't wait for the ****heads to piss off and leave the scene... they should go into stocks or some****. ifyou think i'm no enthuisist, good on you... i have my rear doors in my bedroom, with my blanket off my bed and pillow keeping them from bieng damaged.
0 likes
OliverArchived member
I've had my VLCT since 98 sure the value has increased but it doesn't matter to me as the car will never be for sale and it will get left to my daughter in many many years time. Most of the guys on here are real VL enthusiasts hence CT is always going to be better than the FB groups Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Ye, big fan of the forums, shame there's only a handful of us that contribute. To be honest that's why I started thread in public section and not members section to generate some discussion and see who's lurking around. Might have to do a calaisturbo.com.au roll call and see who's still strolling around the forum lol
0 likes
John boyArchived member
Guys well said , one other thing i hate is when you are trying to sell a car and people bagg it
0 likes
SilverCalArchived member
Loving the fact that the forums are still up, even if i don't come on here much anymore, hate the fact that facebook has ruined it.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Ye that's why I thought I'd make an effort to get this place up and going again! Unfortunately some of the clowns from Facebook will find their way over here if it starts ramping up abit
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
we can ban them / control them here. fb is just about likes and talking ****
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by KALAY [View Post] we can ban them / control them here. fb is just about likes and talking **** Hahaha like your talking about wild animals, in your defence some of the comments I've read on fb your not far off. My favourite thing to read though has to be the old can you decode my ID plate, there's a post daily of that lol
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
katsa i dont want to be a **** but every thread you have made the last 6 months has been about the value of a vl .... i am a big vl fan dont get me wrong but they are not valuable.... ( except hdt, walkinshaw ,directors and other specialty ones) a calais turbo will never be worth 50k and even if it was you would have to spend more then that getting it there. they are the slowest value growing cars going. i have owned about 10 now over the past 10ish years and never paid more then $1500 for one and neither has any one i know. vls are all about big ass turbos with mangled gearboxes doing big ass skids and thats all they will ever be and should be treated as. anybody who thinks otherwise or posts adds on gumtree advertising wanted classic cars will buy cash to collect are scum.
0 likes
SII_TurboArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] katsa i dont want to be a **** but every thread you have made the last 6 months has been about the value of a vl .... i am a big vl fan dont get me wrong but they are not valuable.... ( except hdt, walkinshaw ,directors and other specialty ones) a calais turbo will never be worth 50k and even if it was you would have to spend more then that getting it there. they are the slowest value growing cars going. i have owned about 10 now over the past 10ish years and never paid more then $1500 for one and neither has any one i know. vls are all about big ass turbos with mangled gearboxes doing big ass skids and thats all they will ever be and should be treated as. anybody who thinks otherwise or posts adds on gumtree advertising wanted classic cars will buy cash to collect are scum. Sounds like you and your mates have only ever owned sh*tboxes. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] katsa i dont want to be a **** but every thread you have made the last 6 months has been about the value of a vl .... i am a big vl fan dont get me wrong but they are not valuable.... ( except hdt, walkinshaw ,directors and other specialty ones) a calais turbo will never be worth 50k and even if it was you would have to spend more then that getting it there. they are the slowest value growing cars going. i have owned about 10 now over the past 10ish years and never paid more then $1500 for one and neither has any one i know. vls are all about big ass turbos with mangled gearboxes doing big ass skids and thats all they will ever be and should be treated as. anybody who thinks otherwise or posts adds on gumtree advertising wanted classic cars will buy cash to collect are scum. This is the only thread I have made in the last 6 months regarding prices. The other ones have been about arm rest paints, Pannic, a blue sl turbo etc etc. Not sure what you've been reading mate. Also it seems like that's all people want to talk about in regards to vls so it would make sense to try and generate discussion in this forum with current topics. You'll have to excuse me for trying to breath life back in these forums again. To add to the above you will find that I to a point share your view about the price being unrealistic so not sure what you were getting at. But thanks for the input mate, everyone's opinions are welcome and it's good to see you posting, shame you sold the Calais roller!
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Happy to ban people if we want to argue Everyone has their own opinions but let’s keep it clean and not personal
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
I was talking about the investment finewine thread and other comments but do not worry. Half the people in this thread all tried to ask me how much i sold my calais for... so you all do care about sales prices. I am a realist if i buy $1500 tidy na sl , turbo it and give it a quick paint job and it only owes me 3 to 5k then what is the point of paying $20000 for a lw5 where the only benefit is different letters on a piece of tin besides , yes resale value and wank factor are better but if the other car is so much cheaper even if you lose $1000 who cares ---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 23:08 ---------- If you look at alot of the older monaro/toranas xa/xy falcons prices are dropping and cars that were all bought up and restoRed in the late 90s and early 2000s are now hitting 15 and 20 years old again and people are starting to sell them off again being now most of the owners are gettin on in years. Now the jap imports are getting abit older people who liked them as kids when they came out are older and can afford to restore /build them better and the newer stricter import laws are pushing there prices up instead
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] I was talking about the investment finewine thread and other comments but do not worry. Half the people in this thread all tried to ask me how much i sold my calais for... so you all do care about sales prices. I am a realist if i buy $1500 tidy na sl , turbo it and give it a quick paint job and it only owes me 3 to 5k then what is the point of paying $20000 for a lw5 where the only benefit is different letters on a piece of tin besides , yes resale value and wank factor are better but if the other car is so much cheaper even if you lose $1000 who cares ---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 23:08 ---------- If you look at alot of the older monaro/toranas xa/xy falcons prices are dropping and cars that were all bought up and restoRed in the late 90s and early 2000s are now hitting 15 and 20 years old again and people are starting to sell them off again being now most of the owners are gettin on in years. Now the jap imports are getting abit older people who liked them as kids when they came out are older and can afford to restore /build them better and the newer stricter import laws are pushing there prices up instead I can see where your coming from, to many Vl lovers LW5 means a boatload however, I for one care about it. A good mate of mine however shares your opinion and doesn't mind. I'd rather a rough factory turbo over a clean converted turbo. I'm strange like that. As for the other cars you mentioned I can't comment as I don't follow them. In terms of price and comments on price, it's relevant, if you want a Vl you have to pay a price, that's why we discuss it. I,personally would prefer vls to be cheaper cause I love the car not the value of it. But simple supply and demand will have it the other way. Again good on you for posting your opinion mate, I can always appreciate another persons view! Have you got into another Vl mate?
0 likes
MUSArchived member
I pulled my Calais off the road for a resto a year and half ago... I don't plan to keep it in the garage either once it's running again. I plan on driving it regularly to work (because we have a secure carpark with boomgates and I'm security b!tch, so good luck theives :P) Each to their own. A lot of guys would leave it in the garage and only bring it out on the odd show or cruise. I could drive to work a new car, but something about my Calais and the smell of fuel, coupled with boost just can't be matched. As annoying as it can get at times driving a 30yr old car, problems, no Tech, etc. I wouldn't have it any other way.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today34

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 236 images saved from CT