Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Factory Morning Blue SL Turbo never modified need opinions

Started by Katsa · 19 Nov 2017 · 51 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

KatsaArchived member
I'm in two minds at the moment, I've got a completely unmodified SL Turbo, apart from a changeover exhaust ( still factory size, but no kick up ) Interior is the best original interior I have ever seen with only a tiny mark in roof lining, factory radio still there and working perfectly, body is dead straight with minor surface rust and afew spots around Front/rear screen as usual, engine bay has nothing that shouldn't be there nor nothing missing. Car starts and drive fine, I've taken around the block afew times, car has original purchase receipt and afew other goodies. Really all that's needed is paint and it'd be an immaculate completely original Vl turbo I swore I'd never sell this, my issue is this, I'm not keen on driving stock cars and I'm limited for space. I'm thinking of swapping for another genuine vlt, something modified even slightly so I don't feel bad for further modifying. What would you do, keep the orig sl turbo, sell it, or swap it? Only issue is space as I'm literally packed to the brim with cars and have no space, has nothing to do with money so don't care about "a stock car being worth more"
0 likes
Julia_PArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Katsa [View Post] car has original purchase receipt and afew other goodies." Nice to hear, in the US where I am mostly things like original receipts and papers worth framing and can add a lot to value. I had same thoughts updating a Merc roadster with a drop in rb motor for more grunt but decided against keeping car stock since I want get up and go and more roadsters came on the market from east europe few years ago so who cares as stock cars dont have the grunt. My thought is since your car is now around 30yrs old then it might be best keeping stock and with papers makes it worth more, some ppl put cars like that up on blocks and wait while driving others. The way economy is going for that in western world might be best as some like style over modern plasticy bling. I would have done same few years ago but, I like push and pedal mods and ppl I know have shown how the cheap RB motor will do wonders for my roadster and for other cars too
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
hey chris. if its original with books and has original duco and the engine and trim aren't buggered I'd send it for a high quality detail and leave it at that. your value in an untouched car would be diminished by modification. selling or trading for something highly modified is a good idea. that way you can cash out at a premium and buy a premium modified car whereas if you modify or restore the paint (other than a detail) you will have an in between car which will reduce value and you will have spent lots of money on mods. returning to standard is good but theres something special about a car with lots of originbal bolts and paint dabs and the like. there are people out there who will want it for a premium price. probably a different market than you have sold to in the past. ---------- Post added 20-11-17 at 12:20 ---------- thats the financially smart decision anyway. on the other hand you can just enjoy it and throw logic to the wind Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
I hope I don’t tread on too many feet here but this is solely my opinion. I cringe when monetary value is highly conversed when talking cars. As much as I love originality and don’t like seeing some modifications, that’s the owners choice and I respect that. To me it’s a passion, couldn’t care if it’s worth $2000 or $200k I enjoy it because it is what it is. My advice is to do whatever makes you happy.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] I hope I don�t tread on too many feet here but this is solely my opinion. I cringe when monetary value is highly conversed when talking cars. As much as I love originality and don�t like seeing some modifications, that�s the owners choice and I respect that. To me it�s a passion, couldn�t care if it�s worth $2000 or $200k I enjoy it because it is what it is. My advice is to do whatever makes you happy. Agree that's why I said has nothing to do with money lol I just know how rare it is to find something as original as this so I don't wanna much about with it, but no guarantee the next bloke will keep it stock either. Might have to go with Mitchams idea I think
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Katsa [View Post] Agree that's why I said has nothing to do with money lol I just know how rare it is to find something as original as this so I don't wanna much about with it, but no guarantee the next bloke will keep it stock either. Might have to go with Mitchams idea I think Best piece of advice I�ve ever been given Katsa is that over time so do our ideas. I may regret saying this but who knows if my interest in cars will still be there in 10 years (I hope it is) My 20 year old self would kick me in saying that lol. Cheers, David
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
dave - im with you on valuing a car. however I have a very limited income and run my own business. I have one car thats a bottomless pit but the others i TRY to be conservative with. I'be been lucky in that most I have sold i haven't lost or i've only lost running and maintenance costs. (and normal depreciation) a few like my VN and my corona I have probably come out on top (excluding labour costs.) I'm hoping the VL's and the VN i'm building I wont lose any money on but they are 5 year projects most likely. I aspire to always have my VL wagion but the rest I enjoy now and I have in the back of my head that life events may require me to sell a few off.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
pics of it? was it the one on ebay a while back?
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
No it wasn't, I bought it from qld, wasnt advertised yet, I messaged the bloke if he wanted to sell. If I can find somewhere to store a car or two until July '18 then there's not a chance I'll be parting with any of them and will just buy another
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
i hate the fact that the last 20 threads that have been made are all about vls as investments instead of being worked on.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] i hate the fact that the last 20 threads that have been made are all about vls as investments instead of being worked on. That's just what happens mate, with people getting and making good money from these cars it's always going to be a topic of discussion, the good news for you is I'm making this thread to basically say if someone wants an unmodified(good investment) then I'm happy to swap them for a modified one as I am like you, I'd prefer a worked one that you can drive everyday, not one that sits in the shed collecting dust
0 likes
deenoArchived member
Mate if money isn't a problem, and there's only 6 months or so between you keeping the car or selling it, do whatever it takes storage wise to keep it. Kennards storage it if you have to lol. My only thought in keeping it would be you clearly love vls, and yeah maybe you like them better when they're pushing power but at least you won't get hassled for driving this one. Sent from my SM-G930F using Calais Turbo mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=78347)
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by deeno [View Post] Mate if money isn't a problem, and there's only 6 months or so between you keeping the car or selling it, do whatever it takes storage wise to keep it. Kennards storage it if you have to lol. My only thought in keeping it would be you clearly love vls, and yeah maybe you like them better when they're pushing power but at least you won't get hassled for driving this one. Sent from my SM-G930F using Calais Turbo mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=78347) Yep, Chances are that's exactly what'll be happening unless someone comes up with a swap I'm keen on, you are also 110% about not getting hassled, another reason why I'd be keeping
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
would you swap for an A9Y?
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 12maneym [View Post] would you swap for an A9Y? Send us a pic or two and some info [phone removed], I'd prefer a sedan but happy to have a squiz
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
fort knox gives new customers free storage for a month. get the fam to sign up one month at a time Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
Would love to see a pic of the afore mentioned classic in its stock condition.
0 likes
KatsaArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] fort knox gives new customers free storage for a month. get the fam to sign up one month at a time Hahaha love your work mate! ---------- Post added 27-11-17 at 21:12 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Boyracer [View Post] Would love to see a pic of the afore mentioned classic in its stock condition. Pm me your mobile number mate and I'll sms you afew pics, I've got no idea how to post em here now that photo bucket is being a fork Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
facebook upload in a public album then copy image url and paste into the [IMG] [/IMG]
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
you can upload to imgur
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today31

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 217 images saved from CT