Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Ok so I'm almost at the fuel system section of my VL build,
I have seen many VL fuel systems that all run surge tanks etc, BUT, I really don't want one, I had a twin 044 and surge tank set up on S14 which I'm changing for different intank setup and I really don't want the noisy fu king things in this car either,
I have seen mates use Pierberg and Deischwerks pumps for similar power (different cars) and have no worries at all, BUT I'm not sure the VL tank can warrant this?
The car will be an E85 car and good for around the 900 flywheel hp mark, It will be street driven and mostly for sh!t like Powercruise and general cruise/drag stuff so I'm leaning towards the pumps as above as they are very quiet, My concern is with the tank design it self, can they handle a couple of intank pumps? has anyone done a similar thing? would a couple of Walbro 450's be viable?
I'm keen to keep the original tank although cutting it open and modifying is not out of the question, maybe a bigger internal type surge cage?
Thanks.
0 likes
Im about to try and fit a single Walbro 460 to mine, to feed my LS3
0 likes
I think you would need to keep the tank reasonably full to prevent surge in VL.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-30-ET
[View Post]
I think you would need to keep the tank reasonably full to prevent surge in VL.
Yeah I was wondering about it's setup, I've not seen inside a VL tank before so unsure how it works, for where the pump sits I assume thee must be some kind of cage/cell section in there, I'm not against the idea of chopping the tank open to install a surge style thing in there
0 likes
there is a small swirl pot in where the intank pump sits, but would not be reliable enough at low fuel levels.
0 likes
Its ****,the only way to make this work is to cut a tank open and modify
by the looks,they arent even good enough for a pickup pump and probally prematurely wear
Out intank pumps when running external pumps due to this to
Cheers
Darren
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
[View Post]
Im about to try and fit a single Walbro 460 to mine, to feed my LS3
What are they rated to? What computer did you end up using?
2x A1000s would work wouldn't they? Mind you like the others have said the tanks design is the problem.
I'm looking at using a 3L surge tank, with a Holley 1800 pump.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgz
[View Post]
What are they rated to? What computer did you end up using?
2x A1000s would work wouldn't they? Mind you like the others have said the tanks design is the problem.
I'm looking at using a 3L surge tank, with a Holley 1800 pump.
I have this one to play with..
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/450lph-wa...f90000267.html (http://walbrofuelpumps.com/450lph-walbro-e85-racing-fuel-pump-f90000267.html)
I've never looked into the A1000's?
The VP-VS use a single high pressure intank pump, the tank internals are basically the same, cant be that bad?
I'm not keen on a boot mounted surge tank, and my under car surge tank doesn't fit with my exhaust..
Will be using VF LS3 ecu
0 likes
Nah I've converted it back to a LS1 reluctor wheel - but now trying to sort my accessories as I can't use a VE (smart) alternator, and the LS1 alternator doesn't match the LS3 balancer or waterpump. So will try a LS1 balancer and water pump with ls1 power steering and alternator. My exhaust manifolds have arrived so it's really just cooler/pipes, ecu and fuel to go.
I'll see what the budget is like, but I'd love a fueltech computer, but otherwise it'll be ls1 to get it all running. I wanted the ls1 reluctor wheel, as I planned to use just the 102mm cable t/b.
---------- Post added 25-01-17 at 01:08 ----------
My mechanic runs two of these inside a cell arrangement and that runs 175mph.
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/a1000-fuel-pump/
Apparently there is a little carrier you can buy which slots in. but I had concerns about fuel temp when running two large pumps non stop - where as the Holley staggers it's pumps depending on boost/power.
0 likes
25-01-17, 10:03 GMT+10#10 Yeah all my gear is VF and keeping the fly by wire
See how I go with fitting my pump in maybe a week or so...
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
25-01-17, 15:24 GMT+10#11 You can chop your old tank up and get a modified swirl pot put in or get an aftermarket aluminium tank made with better pick ups.
I'd stick with an external undercar surge tank and quiet externals or do what I'm doing
Surge tank with fuel pumps dropped inside it so it's whisper quiet and super effective just like the picture above.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
26-01-17, 20:37 GMT+10#13 It does look cool,wonder what happens to your car
If you go over 88mph once you fit it..
Cheers
Darren
0 likes
28-01-17, 12:17 GMT+10#14 Worth it for the long term. Don't need fuel pump noise to impress people or do my own head in.
0 likes
05-02-17, 19:24 GMT+10#15 https://www.efihardware.com/products...onversion-Kits (https://www.efihardware.com/products/c541/Steel-Fuel-Tank-Conversion-Kits)
Looking at dropping VE or BA fuel pump assembly into the VL tank..
0 likes
08-03-17, 05:22 GMT+10#16 Starting to wish I'd gone the standard ECU. The LS1 computer or Fueltech wont run the LS3 alternator, which means I have to swap it out for a LS1 replacement, which then doesn't match up with the LS3 p/s, balancer, and waterpump. Also bought one of those billet idle tensioner pullys as I heard the LS's are good at shreading belts.
0 likes
08-03-17, 09:54 GMT+10#17 You may find an early VE 6L alternator would be the go..
---------- Post added 08-03-17 at 08:10 ----------
Ps... https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-131 (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/efi_in-tank_pumps/parts/12-131)
This looks good.....
0 likes
10-03-17, 09:27 GMT+10#18 hmm i'll check em out. Cheers
0 likes
16-04-17, 09:41 GMT+10#19 Bump,
Anyone been able to fit a walbro e85 460 pump straight into the vl tank?
Or does anyone know the diamter of the sender hole in top of the tank??
Cheers
0 likes
16-04-17, 11:31 GMT+10#20 (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/deano23x/media/Bt1/New%20bt1/2B64CCB2-CD07-4F85-8EDE-E4849CAA98C5_zpsxqc50a8l.jpg.html)
0 likes