Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

VL calais turbo

Started by BT1 SA · 3 Sept 2015 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

BT1 SAArchived member
Hi everyone I have a couple of questions I'm hoping can be cleared up for me. I'm sure they have been asked before so I apologize now 1: Solid colour on calais turbo's - did any factory calais turbo's come solid or where they all 2 tone? 2: Emission Stickers - Is the N/A the same as the Turbo sticker? 3: Plastic cowl that sits inside the engine bay above the firewall covering the wiper motor is it the same from VC to VL? 4: K frame black gloss or flat? 5: Pop up lights bracket black gloss or flat? I have purchased a calais turbo and from earlier photos from previous owners it is solid with no 2 tone however the car has just been re sprayed and I'm not sure if I should 2 tone it or not? Eucumbene solid. I'm trying to keep it as original as I can so I really need facts as I've asked and read heaps and these questions are where I'm at with the build. Thanks heaps guys. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deenoArchived member
Hey mate I know there were some single tone Calais turbos as a mate had a red one which was factory. Not sure about the blue but sounds legit. Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Calais Turbo mobile app
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Thanks deeno it's a start ---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 17:38 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by BT1 SA [View Post] Thanks deeno it's a start Would the solid colour been a factory order when ordering a calais turbo or would holdens have decided this rambom
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
1: Solid colour on calais turbo's - did any factory calais turbo's come solid or where they all 2 tone? Almost all Calais build sheets I've come across list them as two tone (Asteroid, Champagne etc), except for a very few very early 1986 cars that were single tone from the factory. Most single tone cars were done at dealer level at the new owners request or the dealers discretion. Only way to confirm would be to find your cars Broadcast sheet if it's still there. 2: Emission Stickers - Is the N/A the same as the Turbo sticker? Yep. 3: Plastic cowl that sits inside the engine bay above the firewall covering the wiper motor is it the same from VC to VL? There is no plastic cowl covering a VL wiper motor, so no. 4: K frame black gloss or flat? Satin 5: Pop up lights bracket black gloss or flat? Satin
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
[QUOTE=VLTWhite1;3065149] 3: Plastic cowl that sits inside the engine bay above the firewall covering the wiper motor is it the same from VC to VL? There is no plastic cowl covering a VL wiper motor, so no. Thanks VLTWhite1 you have cleared up that well. As for the plastic cover there is a gap between the rubber and the start of the metal cowl about 150mm.I remember seeing a flimsy plastic cover that ran along there years ago. All I can seem to find are one's for the VC to VK on that Kingswood site.I have a VH BT1 which pretty much looks the same as the VL in that area. Any more thoughts? As for the broadcast sheet taken the back set out and i have stuck my arm down between the back sets towards the front seats with no luck mmmm this could have been a request after holdens at the dealership but at the end of the day I was hoping to find out for sure what really happened back in the day. I got all the original service books with the original guys name and address but haven't gone down that path yet contacting him. Also got the car record book where every time the original owner filled up petrol he logged what petrol station, liters, cost and odometer reading. Pretty chuffed about that ---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 19:45 ---------- http://www.oldskoolautoparts.com.au/...t04rb8tjd4jvu7 (http://www.oldskoolautoparts.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=13_838_848&products_id=10666&osCsid=qa5co8b9b88rt04rb8tjd4jvu7) Looks similar to this but the one in the link above is for vn to vs
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
the plastic cowl infront of the windscreen does differ from vb-vl. instead of explaining it, see; vb-vh cant remember what vk had, vl ---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 22:13 ---------- they differ because the air inlet duct for your aircon/heater is in a different spot. ---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 22:14 ---------- with the broadcast sheet make sure you check between the carpet and underlay, thats where mine was, not under both. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
Photo 1 shared by Psi_Wagon
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Thanks PSI Wagon great pictures. So now I have to find where these are selling does anyone know where they are available? I didn't check between the underlay I'll have another look today. Cheers again guys. I'll post some pics when I can.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
I should have one laying around mate! $20 It's yours
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by deanoVLCT [View Post] I should have one laying around mate! $20 It's yours Awesome deanoVLCT what condition is it in could you post a pic. From memory they deteriate pretty quickly I remember back in the panel beating days this part would brake looking at it so I would assume not may would have survived 28 years and would be hard to find in good condition. Thanks again mate
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
I'll check the shed this weekend mate, I'll spray one up for ya! Easy!
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Thanks again deanoVLCT
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
DeanoVLCT did you get my messages?
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by BT1 SA [View Post] Awesome deanoVLCT what condition is it in could you post a pic. From memory they deteriate pretty quickly I remember back in the panel beating days this part would brake looking at it so I would assume not may would have survived 28 years and would be hard to find in good condition. Thanks again mate its the vb-vh panel that is made of paper lol, the vl ones are far stronger, and they are everywhere since every vl had one. and ive never seen one damaged!
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Thanks PSI Wagon I've been looking but haven't found one yet. Still waiting for deanoVLCT to get back to me.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Didn't get a msg from ya dude! I haven't checked my mates yard yet! I'll be in touch
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Ok thanks mate. I've sent private messages and I don't know why there not going through?
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Facebook is your best way to contact Deano :-0 hahahaha
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
Thanks Steff.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Lol no flogbook for me buddy and no I didn't get your messages! I actually saw what you needed on eBay for $144 lol I will pm you when I go to the yard to check a Vl for you!
0 likes
BT1 SAArchived member
I agree flog book.Why would you want to know about everyone else's problems. I didn't see the ebay one I'll see if I can find it. Cheers.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today92

7,520 threads, 49,831 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved