Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Thought I'd chuck up some info about my car as it is about to undergo some changes.
The car was built a few years ago, apparently never performed as wanted, and was sold to the guy I bought it off.
It had 165 000kms on the clock, three years later when I bought it, it had 167 000kms, so needless to say, it had not done a whole lot of driving.
So to the details of the car then:
Motor:
SOHC RB30.
Arias pistons
Shot peened rods
ACL bearings
Cometic MLS headgasket
Crow cam
PSI valve springs
Adjustable cam gear
Moroso external belt driven oil pump
ARP stud kit
MSD 6AL box
EMS Stinger 4424 ECU
Earls oilcooler
Bresciani plenum
5R Stainless top mount manifold
ITS turbo
Tial wastegate
Box:
Jatco 4-speed auto box
Built by Simon at Allfast, rated to 600hp at the fly
Vasco plus input shaft
Manual valve body
B&M quickshifter
Bigger KEAS sump
Earls tranny cooler
It has a minor fuel system with a surge tank, single 044, and some unknown larger injectors.
Chassie has been fully redone, all new bushes from nolathane, new control arms, new shocks, new springs and new adjustable panhard rod.
Never driven another VL, so have nothing to compare it to, but it isn't actually too shabby.
Interior has been redone as well, some nasty Saas seats, rear seats have been trimmed to match, and door cards have been done too.
It's been fitted with a Walkinshaw bonnet scoop, a Calais conversion, and a body kit of some form, and has been given a respray in black with blue pearl.
The car has had a lot of time and love spent on it, there isn't a single "normal" vacuum line on the car, every single line is braided and have pressed fittings. There are barely any hose clamps under the bonnet, all hoses are pretty much speedflow or Earls, even the radiator hoses. Also has a bit of custom work with overflow bottles etc.
On my list of things to do is:
Manifold
Turbo
Gate
Fuel system
May go for a different ecu
Loads of boost
Cosmetically, it will get tint, new wheels, new headlights and new front seats.
What I've ordered so far is new headlights (old reflectors are crap), new key and barrel set as it annoys me to have three different keys to one car, and a boost controller has been installed as it was only running gate pressure when I picked it up. Can't have it that way, now can we?
And here are some photo's!
After the purchase, I took the car down to Mitch at WA Performance and chucked it on the dyno. When I bought it, it made 265rwhp. After Mitch added a few pounds of boost, a few degrees of timing, and more fuel, it made 308rwhp on BP98 which seemed to be the limit for what that turbo could make.
The next step was some tint. It got 35% all around, and the windscreen copped a lighter tint too.
I also fitted new headlights from TYC as the old ones were rather crappy.
I also bought a new set of seats to replace the SAAS seats.
These came out of a Honda S2000.
I also ordered a new hot side setup from Golebys.
6Boost manifold with T4 flange
50mm Turbosmart gate
Precision 6466 with a .84 rear
Bosch 1000cc injectors
Fuel rail.
Decided to take it down the 1/4 for a baseline before fitting the new setup, so I bought a set of tiny Hoosiers and slapped them on a set of BBS meshies.
I was expecting it to struggle to get into the 12's, however, first run I left the line without stalling it up just to get a feel for it, and it still ran a 12.7@110mph. After a few more runs I managed to get a 12.19 which I was rather stoked with as I didn't expect it at all.
Yesterday I also got my hands on a set of 17" rims from a BMW 1-series.
Got them stupidly cheap, so figured why not?
And that's where I'm currently at at the moment.
I will start putting on the new turbo etc. in a few weeks, just have to finish off my girlfriends car first as it is taking up space in the shed that I need for the VL.
Her car is currently copping a HKS3037S. Should be fun once done!
Hope you enjoyed reading!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Bought a set of Whiteline adjustable trailing arms today.
Will see if I can suss out how to set the pinion angle.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Looks nice mate. those new seats are different but i like them... cant go wrong with black. Will be good for 10s with the precision and 1000's on it.
You made 2HP more then my setup, only different being that mine is manual. Hope i can get a similar time to you on the 1/4
Keep us updated.
0 likes
Looks good mate I like it seats there different but there not to bad actually
Always love black VL's Nomnomnomm
0 likes
nice car
what thermos fan size are you running ?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Cheers guys!
Seats are quite comfy, and much better than the old Saas seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elare69
[View Post]
nice car
what thermos fan size are you running ?
Twin AU fans I believe.
Hooked up so one starts ~10 degrees before the other one.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Bought a new set of wheels for the VL.
They're Compomotive TH1882 that I imported from the UK.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Apart from the side mounted numbler plate this thing is mint az!!!
0 likes
So, time for another update.
I bought a new set of lower trailing arms and dropped them off to Final Drive along with my tail shaft.
Phil reinforced the trailing arms, changed the CV and centre bearing on the shaft, and balanced it.
I slapped all of it in along with adjustable upper trailing arms the other day, and I've ordered some magnetic angle indicators so I can set the pinion angle.
I also picked up a 9" today, came with rotors, calipers, 28 spline shafts, a dardy mini-spool and 3.89 gears. That can all reside in the shed for now, but I got it for a good price, so figured I may as well buy it, since you never know when you'll need a 9".
I also decided to start doing something about the Walkinshaw scoop. Took it off, gave the bonnet a good clean, and put some black mesh to cover the hole.
The manifold is miles away from hitting the bonnet, so I can't understand why a hole was made. Such a shame. Either way, will take the car to a panel beater and see if they reckon they can match the paint next week.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
16-11-14, 22:24 GMT+10#10 Wiled man. Lucky it's a small hole. Some one cut 50% of my bonnet out when they fitted a vh style scoop.
Paint came up nice.
0 likes
22-05-15, 08:08 GMT+10#11 So it's been a while since I updated anything here.
The good old Jatco decided to die on me, so I ordered a 850hp rated Powerglide from Keas.
I collected the box a few days ago, so all I need to do now is slap it in, have a tailshaft made up, and then transbrake skids.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
26-05-15, 07:41 GMT+10#13 Thanks mate!
Quite keen to get it back on the road now, was looking through some photos the other day and saw this one which was taken just before the Jatco popped.
Makes me even keener to get it out there again
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
03-08-15, 08:11 GMT+10#14 Baby steps.
Got myself a drop box over the weekend, so I got my Jigsaw out and got stuck into it.
Bought the surround a few months ago, so good to have it all covered up, didn't look too good before. All holes etc. have been drilled, just waiting for the paint to dry for final installation, but should be good once done!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
03-08-15, 18:17 GMT+10#15 Nice mate. What converter are you running?
0 likes
03-08-15, 22:22 GMT+10#16 It's from Allfast in WA, was supplied with the box by Keas, to suit my turbo setup.
0 likes
10-08-15, 08:38 GMT+10#17 So I've had a semi-productive weekend.
Box went in after work one night, and I spent Saturday finishing off all the small bits around it ie. fitting starter motor, rad fans etc.
Took some measurements for the tail shaft, so hopefully I can have a new shaft done by the weekend so I can have the car back on its wheels.
What's left now is to replace speedo cable, tail shaft, tranny cooler lines, hook up trans brake solenoid and trans temp sensor. All the small fiddly stuff.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
17-08-15, 08:18 GMT+10#19 So I got it up and running over the weekend, fitted everything except the speedo cable, that's something for next weekend I believe.
Took it for a drive on Saturday, didn't break down, much success!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
08-09-15, 00:09 GMT+10#20 So a quick little update might be in order.
I took the car down to the Motorplex on Wednesday to see if it went any better compared to last year.
First run out, it felt a smidge slow up top, didn't think much of it.
Went out for a second run, only to see the boost starting to play tricks and the car started surging. Backed off the throttle and when I got to the end, I had successfully converted it to a 4 cyl RB.
Got the car home and ripped the plugs out, cyl 1 and 6 were totally dead.
I did a leak down test to see how bad it was, it came back with the following:
cyl 1: 95% leak
cyl 2: 15% leak
cyl 3: 25% leak
cyl 4: 25% leak
cyl 5: 45% leak
cyl 6: 20% leak
Not much to do except rip the motor out and start looking at rebuilding it.
So I began dismantling stuff on Saturday, and borrowed an engine crane and lifted it tonight.
The idea now is to start stripping it down after work, and see if I can get it away to have the block machined next week if it is salvageable.
Might finally get some use of these goodies that I picked up about a year ago, because, you know, having spare rods & pistons is always a good idea.
To be continued!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes