Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

1987 VL Executive

Started by Psychotik · 15 Mar 2014 · 70 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

PsychotikArchived member
I have recently bought a 87 VL Executive for my first car, I am currently 16 and 17 this year. I am intending to fix it her all up, and then start with the other exterior modifications and engine etc. I bought it for 2600 from an old man, who bought it from his friend and before that it was owned by the government so, there has only been 3 owners before myself. There are minimal downsides to the car which include one dent on the boot, some rust here and there and just some poor paint 'fixes' made by the previous owner. Since I am repainting the car, I was wondering if I should have it one tone white or white over grey. Just need to choose the grey as well (if I go with that). In the end I think it was a good deal anyway, tell me what you think! Make / Model: 1987 VL Executive Colour: One tone white, intending to respray. Bodykit: No Engine Type: RB30E (Non Turbo) Engine Mods: None at the moment Power: 114KW (stock) Exhaust: Stock Gearbox: Automatic Diff: Stock Brakes: Stock all round Suspension: Stock (Will lower it) Wheels/Tyres: Stock, with white hubcaps Interior: Stock Blue Stereo: I am pretty sure it is stock, not 100% sure as I am new to the VL scene. Other Mods: None, I am aware of. Future mods: New rims (probably pursuities) New exhaust Remove rust, and repaint the whole car (Going for the a pearl white over grey, but not sure about what grey to pick yet please suggest below) Lower it on Super Lows Turbo Conversion Pictures: Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Got some new pursuit rims, the one on currently is the spare off my old man's car though. It was just to see what it looked like, looks good imo, as they normally do on VL's. The other 4 are in my garage and have surface rust so need to be sanded and painted. They have no tyres on atm though. Here is how it looks with rally wheels on, just to see, defenitley not putting them on, as when on the back they hang out a lot. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
satansLBOArchived member
nice base to work on bud well done..... I have to say MX bumpers will look the better if done properly. (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/jamesglaskin/media/whitemx15s_zps5811df9f.jpg.html) (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/jamesglaskin/media/whitemxsl_zps2d35086c.jpg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Damn, they do look better, they aren't so "blendy" with the car are they? And they look really good with the pursuit rims. Changing my mind once again haha, will do. I am also probably painting the whole car itself a diamond white.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Looks pretty clean mate! Definitely a good base to start with, unmolested is a big plus! Definitely MX grey looks tops, white over grey is one of the best colour combos for a VL imo
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Thanks man. Yeah I know right? Will keep updating the thread.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Update: Probably going to go for the one tone, like XCHASE has done. IMO I think it would look great, what do you guys think?
0 likes
MUSArchived member
It's already one tone lol.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
I am repainting ^. It has rust that needs removing, and I am repainting whole thing, so just saying I might stay with one tone, rather than two. But my decisions will change over time most likely.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Have you considered something like an HDT LE/Sport kit to compliment the singletone more? All white with the kit in berlina spec would look great IMO.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Hmm don't know honestly. Might go with the two tone, since its different for me. I like both, but I know my decisions will change over time.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] Have you considered something like an HDT LE/Sport kit to compliment the singletone more? All white with the kit in berlina spec would look great IMO. Always looks nice!
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Quick update: Today I detailed the car with the old man, and have decided to paint my pursuit rims a gloss black. I will be putting chrome caps, bolts and trim on the wheels, which imo will look nice when done.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
You must be Psychotik, paint them the correct silver as above and frisbee the chrome dress rings as far away from your car as you can. Great starting project.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
What is wrong with the chrome dress rings? And I wish to make my car stand out and different, rather than the generic VL with them silver pursuities. Please explain as to why they would look bad, etc.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Nothing wrong with chrome dress rings in my opinion, but would advise against black stockies. I never understood the appeal of these, makes it look like you're running on your spare wheels... Looks very cheap and will probably attract more po-po. Silver with dress rings can be nice, though. This is what I was running for about 18 months. Silver steelies and centrecaps with chrome rings. I liked it but got bored. (And steel wheels handle pretty sh1t) Up to you though it's your car. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Dunno hey, I think that the black rims will make it stand out, especially with the silver rings, caps and bolts. Just my opinion, I got the idea from PROVLT. ---------- Post added 24-03-14 at 19:50 ---------- Maybe not the caps, will paint the caps the same black. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
Chaser rims are meant to look like chaser rims, e.g cop car street use. Look close at post 3, the rims look bigger without the chrome rings.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
I want my car to look different. PROVLT, looks quite amazing with rims like that. I am doing it anyway.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
If you do that I will find your car and paint the wheels while your asleep.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,707 threads, 77,842 posts and 961 images saved from CT

31.3% of indexed threads saved