Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

back space for an 15x8 rim

Started by DFECTD · 28 Feb 2014 · 28 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

DFECTDArchived member
sorry if this has been brought up before but I cant find it.Looking at a 15x8 weld prostar with a 26x9 slick on it what back space would I be looking at?standard diff,standard springs.i know the seat belt bolt needs to be grinded off.any other useful hints would be appreciated. damo
0 likes
EVLRB30Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by DFECTD [View Post] sorry if this has been brought up before but I cant find it.Looking at a 15x8 weld prostar with a 26x9 slick on it what back space would I be looking at?standard diff,standard springs.i know the seat belt bolt needs to be grinded off.any other useful hints would be appreciated. damo 5" and you should be fine
0 likes
DFECTDArchived member
thanks man
0 likes
OVR-800STArchived member
what about for a diff shortened 1.5 inch either side?
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
if 5" is good and the diff shrtened 1.5" either side then 3.5" backspace would be safe. simple math.
0 likes
OVR-800STArchived member
sweet thanks SIroller
0 likes
NSNPWRArchived member
5" BS ain't gunna fit with a standard rear end...no way...5.5" stretching it! More like 6" with a stock length diff...
0 likes
bigpsiArchived member
(http://s144.photobucket.com/user/bigpsi/media/BAA6B0C7-B8F1-435E-BB86-903FC6A551A6.jpg.html) This is a 8.5 inch/5 inch back space convo with a 255 tyre Can't believe people would give advice that 5 inch backspace fits lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
DFECTDArchived member
thanks guys,the biggest back space I can find for a prostar is 5.5".....................................guess its a matter of finding out.if anyone has a 5.5" back space 15x8 under their vl id love to hear from you.cheers damo
0 likes
bigpsiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by DFECTD [View Post] thanks guys,the biggest back space I can find for a prostar is 5.5".....................................guess its a matter of finding out.if anyone has a 5.5" back space 15x8 under their vl id love to hear from you.cheers damo I don't think there is any 15x8 that will fit 'properly' For my car to sit nice needs about 40mm shorter per side (haven't 100% finished measuring)
0 likes
DFECTDArchived member
sorry they do a 6.5" I just found out
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
You could always get a set of 15inch simmons and have them done in whatever offset you want .
0 likes
sherman89Archived member
I have 15x8/3.5 inch b/s with 255 et streets, diff shortened 68mm p/side.
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
Did you have to move the shocks at all ? I thought the brakes would hit the shocks after 50 mm
0 likes
sherman89Archived member
All standard just cut down and changed back to drums. i was worried about the drums but the car still pulls up with no chute from 158mph.
0 likes
BTArchived member
sherman do u remember the overall diameter of the diff drum to drum because i remember my diff was drum braked and was 1400 from memory ... mind u mine was a vh but iam sure they are the same as vl from memory ... hear is a pic of it ... with convos 15" by 8" or 8,5 with 3 3/8s backspace with simmons 18" by 9"s with 4 inch dish and 5 inch backspace un tubbed [/URL] (http://s645.photobucket.com/user/bt_vlct/media/p1042060410_zpsf5a89c9c.jpg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
sherman89Archived member
Nah I don't know the full width sorry. Car looks awesome on the simmons!
0 likes
NSNPWRArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bigpsi [View Post] I don't think there is any 15x8 that will fit 'properly' For my car to sit nice needs about 40mm shorter per side (haven't 100% finished measuring) I'm having 8s made at the moment, the guy doing them has allowed me to mess around with backspacing...the end result is if you want an 8" cop rim to fit, the inside edge has to be within a few mm of the trailing arm...end up with about 2" of lip so backspacing is more like 6"...I will try and get the measurements off him. Off the shelf is obviously a different story! As I found out with the convos I just bought...theyre 'flush' to say the least...
0 likes
bigpsiArchived member
In my old Calais I cut the lip part off the outer edge of the trailing arm and welded a plate on top of the arm to give the tyre clearance
0 likes
RB-GEMArchived member
What's a good size wheel/tyre combo to use at the track when using a standard width vl diff ?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today62

3,774 threads, 23,878 posts and 472 images saved from CT