Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys, I've had a few VL's, 10 to be exact but always had a soft spot for the one wagon I had. I looked for ages everywhere to find another wagon but to no avail until a mate said he knew someone who had a wagon for sale. A Calais wagon.
The next day I went and had a look. Wasn't immaculate but was genuine A9Y. Needed paint and interior was needing some love. We both knew what they were worth and we agreed on a price.
Make/model: 1988 VL Calais Wagon
Colour: Cardinal red over asteroid silver, satin black surrounds
Drivetrain: RB30 n/a 4 speed auto
Future plans : restore to its former glory, turbo conversion, manual conversion. A long way down would love to put an 8 in.
On pickup
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378282956.218061.jpg
Views: 248
Size: 71.7 KB
ID: 61210] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61210&d=1378282959)
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378282979.490425.jpg
Views: 224
Size: 68.6 KB
ID: 61211] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61211&d=1378282981)
I immediately gave it to a mate for a respray and tidy of the exterior, bit of rust removed. I already had a rust free tail gate which saved a lot of headaches. The roof had to go back to bare metal the same with the bonnet.
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378283070.290445.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 98.9 KB
ID: 61212] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61212&d=1378283072)
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378283088.511455.jpg
Views: 214
Size: 98.9 KB
ID: 61213] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61213&d=1378283090)
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378283104.866103.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 105.9 KB
ID: 61214] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61214&d=1378283107)
More prep
[Click image for larger version
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378283145.663793.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 61.1 KB
ID: 61215] (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?s=15034bd0d081387e384187676cc6b048&attachmentid=61215&d=1378283149)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)
0 likes
Finished product
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Nicee man, I love the look of Burgandy wagons, I reckon polish those Calais rims and it will look mint lol
0 likes
Already got a set of polished Calais.
---------- Post added 05-09-13 at 14:42 ----------
Took the seats out and found 25 years of neglect and coke syrup.
Have steamed cleaned the carpet and seats and both came up really well. Also picked up a mint set of door trims to replace the speaker ridden old ones.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Cleaning up the floor ready to spray down some rustkill.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Looking mint already!
Hang on to this one please!! Would be a shame to see it go to waste
Have you added this to the A9Y register in the Turbo discussion i think?
0 likes
Thanks mate. Big plans for this one, as hanging out so long to get another wagon and even happier its an a9y. Floor is all painted with rustkill, letting it dry then fish oil can go down.
Got carpet underlay from bunnies to put down too.
Haven't added it there yet.
0 likes
looks mint post respray mate
what are your plans engine wise?
0 likes
Funds allowing it will get a standard turbo conversion, maybe FMIC. Possibly manual conversion as well but down the track would love to put an 8 in it.
0 likes
08-09-13, 13:35 GMT+10#10 sounds good man, hard decisions!
0 likes
08-09-13, 14:40 GMT+10#11 Why didnt you get the universal (or VT style) windscreen rubber done if it was resprayed?
0 likes
09-09-13, 17:45 GMT+10#13 Let the rustkill dry and sprayed fish oil over that. Will start fitting the underlay and carpet tommorrow. Then I can re -assemble the interior. Just wanna drive it
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
09-09-13, 18:02 GMT+10#14 good stuff man
glad you didn't go with the universal windscreen seal
0 likes
09-09-13, 18:19 GMT+10#15 Quote:
Originally Posted by #adz
[View Post]
good stuff man
glad you didn't go with the universal windscreen seal
Cheers mate, slowly getting there. Yeah I had the option of the universal seal but wanted the exterior as original as possible.
0 likes
09-09-13, 18:20 GMT+10#16 ^why so?
I understand originality, but you basically cant risk taking it out in the rain or washing it casually
---------- Post added 09-09-13 at 18:20 ----------
My bad
Reply was to #adz
0 likes
09-09-13, 18:28 GMT+10#17 They can't be that bad can they
0 likes
09-09-13, 18:51 GMT+10#18 Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22
[View Post]
^why so?
I understand originality, but you basically cant risk taking it out in the rain or washing it casuall
due the the shape of the universal seal being so different to the original one. i think the squared off edges suit the car better.
never really thought of it from a practical point tho, surely they would have a little bit of durability! i'm hoping
0 likes
09-09-13, 19:54 GMT+10#19 From a looks point of view i am personally not fussed, but each to their own in that respect.
From a practical view, my VL was garaged all its life, until 6 months before I owned it when it was left outside, mainly in summer as well, the front cowl panel has visible rust, its not rotten through but it looks pretty bad.
As far as I know they hold the water in!
But I'm guessing this wags isn't going to be your daily? So it's not a big deal
But for me when I get the rust fixed I want the piece of mind of the universal seal
0 likes
09-09-13, 20:15 GMT+10#20 Yeah no daily duties, purely a cruiser,but will be driven like a daily as soon as I get it registered haha
0 likes