Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Vl Rb20det Wagon Drift Pig

Started by BronsonVL · 2 Sept 2013 · 23 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

BronsonVLArchived member
Hi guys I have been building this Vl for about a year now and its finally time to try it out! So I first bought it in bits and every one looked at me like it will never happen, i finlally got it together but it was a head ache! At first i really didn't like rb20's but I have fallen in love with them, I have learnt so much about the rb's and vl's after this. I am glad to say its pretty much done and ready for the Drifts!! 88 model berlina. Its white with standard body but have removed my front bar to fit the intercooler nice and snug. Engine is a Rb20det And its fair stock other then new metal head gasket, FMIC, 3inch Exhaust from turbo to tip, new gready blow of valve. Dont know exactly how much its making now but i got it dyno'ed a month ago and one of the coil packs was failing so it only made 163rwkw! The problem is now fixed so im hoping it makes around 180rwkw Hav'nt done much to the brakes and diff just yet just regular service repaced pads/ shoes and tighten everything in site. Rebulit the diff, got new bushes and got it welded by a mate of mine so everything in there is nice and tight. At the moment she has vp calais rims but I have a pair of 17inch rodney james rims to go on and stockies on the back. Interior was stock berlina but I have Stripped it. All the extra bits the berlina came with i have put in my other Vl Turbo. Other Mods, I have put new lowered springs and shortend shocks all round so its stiffer but i have chained up my rear springs so there is hardly any body roll in the rear. I also have a boost guage, racing seat, catch can, upgraded the fuel pump bosch 044, cleaned injectors, ect. Future mods, Im going to see how she goes on the track first but im looking at getting a hydraulic handbrake, bigger tacho, racing harness, roll cage and more steering lock. As engine wise i have no idea yet i want to see how it goes if needed I can up the boost but there should be enough power for me. This is my first drive in her when I put it back togeather, the front bar is still on and intercooler is smaller now i have a huge one on there. [IMG] (http://s949.photobucket.com/user/Bronson277/media/VL%20Wagon%20Drifter/IMG_20121203_183443_zps24405658.jpg.html)[/IMG] I dont have a picture of the whole car with the intercooler atm but this is good enough for now [IMG] (http://s949.photobucket.com/user/Bronson277/media/VL%20Wagon%20Drifter/20130604_152510_zps124c77a5.jpg.html)[/IMG] Engine bay, dosn't look pretty but does the job of hitting limitter all day every day [IMG] (http://s949.photobucket.com/user/Bronson277/media/VL%20Wagon%20Drifter/IMG_20130430_151537_zps313c0b80.jpg.html)[/IMG] I will upload some more photos once I take her out to the drifts!! If any one is doing the rb20 conversion or building a track car and is stuck on something dont hesitate on asking me I dont know everything but I have learnt alot doing it. Cheers guys I hope you all enjoy my Vl and keep up the zutututu's Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Here is an update on my engine bay. Moved the AFM to the cold side and replaced all intercooler piping and joiners. Happy days! Drifts just a week away now getting my wheel alignment done teusday then I'm 100% ready. ---------- Post added 07-09-13 at 23:04 ---------- Also my dads mate was telling me to try this chain setup they used to do back in the day (just like the old dodgy trick of cutting spings) never heard of anyone doing it but see how it goes. Feels wrong to do it but should stop heaps of body roll. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Will be keeping an eye on this one
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
hats up with the chain? decent shockers would secure it fine? also hats up with the oil catch can piping? surely that could be neatened up? i'm having trouble folloi=wing the hosing with all the clamps and not being a big rb20 buff. you are running drum rear still plans for that? brake conversions are doable and it sounds like your old man has some experience and can be a good guide for you. also did you do the engine sap yourself? anyway congrats you are smashing through it and on red p's that'd make you a fresh driver aswell so even more kudos. my car at your age was mum's old magna.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Haha cheers slroller I have got brand new shocks and old Munroe lowered springs but I have been told it's still not enough. So I was searching different ways to get it real stiff couldnt find nothing but coil overs but for now I don't have that cash to buy them so dad said try this, my drift is tomorrow so I'm really going to find out how is goes. The catch can was a difficult one because I didn't want to hide just for the sake of keeping my eye on it in the pits,as for the horses I thourght it was over kill but it ment to be the best way haha :/ doesnt look the best but beats hiding it and on the day trying to work on it. I forgot to mention brakes I have looked into it changing it to disc rear it's probly the next thing I'm going to do along with hydro hand brake and stuff. And no engine was already in but the heads and manifold were off so I just learnt how to but it back togeather the worst but best thing is that dad shows me how to do it then pulls it apart and gets me to do it haha sucks sometimes but it has taught me alot! Hopefully will have you updated tomorrow night after a solid day of sliding it Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Wooo I am wrecked, so tired never new drifting was so hard! Haha she went heaps good out there had plenty of power the only real problem I had was body roll! It was a bitch so hard to control because of it but few people said I was pretty good for my first time. At the start I didn't have much confidence but by the end I was linking some corners and it felt really good. But the body roll issue I need to fix asap! Would of been so much easier to control. Any one have any ideas? I'm thinking swaybar but what else helps alot?
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i have super low suspension with monroe gt lowered shocks. big sway bars front and rear, strut brace at front and lots of fresh rubbers all around. i have almost zilch body roll in fact when the strut brace is fitted if i hit bumps in the road the car wants to skip across the road instead of sit on it. I don't know what your spring / shock setup is but look into what i have. also i have a locker. so whats your diff centre? braking traction may help the body slide as opposed to grip and roll. ---------- Post added 14-09-13 at 22:19 ---------- so it sounds like you have shortened shocks. what springs are you running? and keep your eye on ebay and gumtree for suspension parts. my swaybars , strut brace and panhard rod cost me $200 huge bargain. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Yeh I have shorten shocks and lowered springs but no idea what brand they are they were already in it and there are blue but look heaps old so I re painted them blue I have Munroe gt shocks in the front but peddlers in the back I thourght the peddlers were ok but I have brand new gt's to put in the back so I will do that! And you setup sounds great I will give it a good and as for the bushes that's a must there still all original so that's helping the problem heaps! I have also got a locker and that is the best thing ever haha. I will try get some photos up but having trouble finding any all the drifters had jap cars so they looked at me and thought it's not worth takeing photos of I will prove the old vls can do it too! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
theres been a few vl drifters back in the day so it might be worth chasing them down. there was a white and a morning blue one that actully got onto street commodores dvd's. theres also some youtube clips up and about. lowered suspension is all good but when you do the bushes you will feel the car really transform. like i did exhaust and it got loud but there was no ower gain. as soon as i did the filter boom i felt it. same thing with rubbers. lowered suspension is all good but you need to firm up the entire setup otherwise its just lowered and theres all this uncontrolled movement on triling arms and swaybars etc. by the way i did front and rear swaybars but everyone recommends standard rear swaybar to keep the rear end soft and oversteering. can't speak from experience but thats what people say so experiment around and see how you go.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Yeh thanks mate and I got some photos as you can see heaps of roll and didn't make hardly any smoke so next time I'm going to have to try harder! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
some look rolly some look ok. what psi are you running in the tyres? when i was into this stuff we pumped up the tyres. I can also see you have a bit of sidewall flex there. maybe some 17"s on the rear would do you well like in the first pic it looks like the tyre wants to roll off. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Waiting in line and the bloke see oil on the ground and only checked mine -.- haha it isn't that bad looking is it? And there was another vl out there way better than mine! I was too busy having the time of my life I wished I thourght about asking his setup he was doing great out there! Cheers heaps for the help as well man I'm going to try find some YouTube clips of some other out there drifting vl's and what's the difrence with after market sway bars? Are they bigger? And bushes are at the top of my to do list now haha Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
heres my mates matt and ben. just have whiteline sway bars and lowered springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ob8hKxCMKI
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
I never thourgh of that and it was pumped to 40psi but my first few laps they were 20 I forgot the pump them so that might be one of the first photos :P ---------- Post added 15-09-13 at 23:26 ---------- What that is sweet! There going nuts I love it! Love the surf board idea might have to do it here! Do they have front and back sway bars done ? Also what else have they done surely they have done more they look like they have no roll haha
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
yeah we use to have 40-50psi. it's pretty overkill but it stops that flex and assists skids especially when you aren't using huge power!
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
just thick swaybars and king springs all round also a strut brace and a half cage. ben runs 17 inch rims and has r33 brakes all round. it has a little roll but not like your standard vl wagon. the thing is mental to ride in.
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Yeh sweet sounds like an easy affordable setup! Haha I will try track down some cheap stuff, but have you got any ideas what's the best place to look I'm from adelaide and gumtree doesn't have much here
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
whitelines website will have it all
0 likes
BronsonVLArchived member
Ok thank you Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i don't know how "on the cheap" you are doing this but i just pulled off some nolathane control arms trailing arms and swaybar rubbers off of a wreck that i gave to my dad. they sort of aren't worth selling second hand but they'd have had minimal km and i recon they fit anything vk-vs liveaxle so it might be worth browsing wreckers yards and private wreckers and asking if they have anything. all my swaybars and that were second hand and a quarter of the price.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,576 threads, 76,174 posts and 942 images saved from CT

30.9% of indexed threads saved