Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

single cam vs twincam debate

Started by elare69 · 7 Aug 2013 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

elare69Archived member
single cam vs twin cam which is better ? is twincam cheating ? twincam better my opinion vl debate cheers
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
I like the single cam RB30 for the originality factor, plus it shows the ability of the builder/tuner to make more power with less 'potential' than say a twin cam Only issue I see with going twin is adapting it to fit, especially for a 26 head which is apparently harder than the 25, plus the cost of finding one.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
SOHC was the Aussie spec RB3OT requested by holden for its simplicity, if 500hp is achievable for a road car then why would you want to complicate things with a higher maintenance spec motor that looks Japanese?
0 likes
zvonkoArchived member
Honest question and this is for the RB gurus out there, have you found a single or twin cam rb30 to make power more reliably? I know the twin cam comes at an additional expense but does it outweigh the fact it may last longer or be more efficient? I love the good old single cam but you can't go past a twin cam rb30, it's like having a threesome every time you have sex. Having said that I still hold a higher level of respect for those pushing the single cam boundaries.
0 likes
elare69Archived member
I agree single cam for the vl but they do struggle to go past 400rwkw + on unleaded fuel while twincam 3l makes 500 to 550rwkw pump unleaded around 25psi , spend good $3000 $4000 on single cam still have the dizzy issues , lifters ect while twimcam more driveable everyday even stock 25 head $300 can make nearly 450rwkw on pump fuel. single cam really needs big cam make use of the head +1 for twincam parts to buy for the twincam are cheaper from the states
0 likes
WHTVLTArchived member
I hate the cheating bull**** people go on with! The twin cam head are more efficient! Cost is not much difference when ur talking big power! It's up to what the owner wants! I love twin cams! Probly would of gone that way looking back! But 840hp (hydraulic cam) is proof the single cams do work! That's mild run in tuen, Still heaps more in it!
0 likes
elare69Archived member
whats most rwkw can single cam make on unleaded
0 likes
cagedArchived member
I have a single cam with a wade cam 125lb springs unported and it does alright has gone flat 10 & 142mph with only 18-19psi the way i see it unless you are going for the vl or nothing build its all personal e.g I chose to stay manual not auto. Twin cam is alot better but alot more expensive to setup as if you have a vl you already have a single cam head so spend the money on that it will be better than the stock rb26 head because you cant afford mods after all the machining costs etc. Big budget go the rb26 head with all the mods just my 2cents
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
I prefer the OG factor of the single cam. If I cared about ultimate performance or bragging rights 26/30 would be the go but for something that makes good power for cheap you cant beat the SOHC for a street car imo.
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] I prefer the OG factor of the single cam. If I cared about ultimate performance or bragging rights 26/30 would be the go but for something that makes good power for cheap you cant beat the SOHC for a street car imo. Yeah i like the originality factor, also the fact that single cams can make tonnes of power on e85, theres more than a few now over 1000hp
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
For the street with decent power, people keep thinking twin cam is more expensive - it's not! I built a 26/30 with just a set of cams and springs with a forged bottom end and it would outflow the majority of heavily ported single cam heads. The cost of porting, cam, springs, lifters, valves - vs a set of cams and springs and a head that can be had for 1k - it's not an expensive exercise for the street application.
0 likes
elare69Archived member
tomie cams set $500US and valve springs + seats + retainers $450 us dollars . cheap don't even think full worked single cam wit roller rockers keep up to stock 26 head
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
It won't flow as much... no.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] For the street with decent power, people keep thinking twin cam is more expensive - it's not! I built a 26/30 with just a set of cams and springs with a forged bottom end and it would outflow the majority of heavily ported single cam heads. The cost of porting, cam, springs, lifters, valves - vs a set of cams and springs and a head that can be had for 1k - it's not an expensive exercise for the street application. What are the legalities like surrounding twin cam conversions? Do you need it engineered as an RB26? I assume they wouldn't see if its got a 30 bottom end or not. Also what kind of power were you making with the 26/30 with cams/springs if you don't mind me asking? Just curious how it goes value wise to a 30et.
0 likes
elare69Archived member
if you go twincam still wit the same engine number so wouldn't be anything hard to pass , twincam 3l making over 500rwkw on unleanded 98 fuel - cams average clean up ports ect stock cams make just at 400rwkw - nice driveable vl depending on turbo just emission test and engineered same as would single cam
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Haven't you got some cornicing to do you gronk..
0 likes
elare69Archived member
finished at 4pm today Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
You ACT tradies tooo much cash money.
0 likes
my30etArchived member
single cam , vl come with single cam so leave it
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
Soon as I hear twin cam or more so LS conversions to VL's these days I lose interest in the car. I can't pin point what it is that turns me off these options, I guess the SOHC is where it is at for me and gets the cred when it comes to VL's.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,683 threads, 77,645 posts and 961 images saved from CT

31.2% of indexed threads saved