Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys,
Just posting a thread of my vl turbo build that I plan on doing. Just bought this car so right now I'm just getting into stripping it down so me and the old man can respray it.
Anyway, i have a few questions. What I'm trying to get my head around now is what I've bought for it. Well, How to set it up. I bought a forward facing plenum, Front mount holes cooler and high mount t04e to put on after the respray. Now the cooler I have requires holes to be cut for the piping in the usual spots ( battery tray and air cleaner ) but after thinking about it I'd rather not. So was thinking does anyone have any no holes cooler piping kits and does anyone have any photos of these piping set ups? Mainly photos from under the car and where the piping comes up the front of the motor and the turbo side.
Another thing is I also got an xf throttle body with the above items. Whats the go with adapting them onto my FF plenum, Whats needed to do so?
And one more for now, I was told to use xr6 turbo injectors once I've put in the xf throttle body. Is this true? Will I need a different computer?
Thanks all!
Cooler mocked up:
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Looks nice! What's wrong with the current turbo set up already in it? PM deano, pretty sure he has a no holes cooler kit for sale.
Leave it as is, over the high mount t4 set up. There really hit and miss those set ups. Where as the standard set up you have now will last alot longer and is alot more responsive.
Also alot less hassels from cops.
And you will need another ecu to run different injectors. Or a nistune..
0 likes
Turbo hubbies, stealth cooler set up and you've got a nice sleeper on your hands
0 likes
I got the GKTech no holes cooler and mocked it up today. From the other photos I've seen on vls it doesn't hang below the bar so will be stealth as **** haha, which is good seeing as I'm a P-plater. But yeah. Wont be wacking the highmount on anytime soon, Just the cooler and then respraying it.
Better to get used to the car first then just going burko.
Cheers!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Hey guys,
I haven't done much lately. Just got the intercooler flushed and pressure tested then mounted it back on after a quick polish. At the stage were I'm mocking it all back up because some of the piping is rubbing on the power steering lines so a mates been kind enough to mark out where the problems are in the piping and custom fab it to work. And when that's all done we'll move the AFM into the piping and he'll also fab up an intake pipe for the turbo.
Another thing happening is I've picked up a 3.9 ratio lsd centre to wack in the back to get it moving a little faster from a stop. Final drive speed doesn't bother me cause who really drives at 160k's all the time eh?
Next plans are to either paint or polish the rocker cover and replace the remaining spark plugs I couldn't get to under the throttle body.
Sorry about pics. Taken at night time and does it no justice.
Thanks!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Alright, Me and a mate got the intercooler kit on today and started her up. Heres a video of the flutter. It used to make one before but it was A LOT shorter and could barley hear it. Will sound pretty decent once I have the intake pipe for the turbo made up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHPfiU62Ik
Thanks!
0 likes
Today I was a little bored so cleaned up the engine bay a little. Bought some new hoses and what not and made it look more presentable. Also Painted the rocker cover and cleaned the intake manifold. Looks a lot better now!
Decided to paint strip is as I'll do anything to get out of sanding so after a few coats of that it there was no paint left on it so I wacked a few dry coats on and then layered it thick. Was done in Wrinkle paint hance the wrinkling.
And a few shots of it on the car/ misc.
Thanks!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Started cutting out and plating the rust today. Heres it so far:
And cut/ plated.
Thanks.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
good stuff mate, it was a great example to return to standard but this is your car and I hope you enjoy it.
Also a modified vlt is far better then a neglected one that sits in the rain so good on ya pal! All the best and keep us posted, will look amazing with a fresh coat of asteroid silver on mx grey bars!
0 likes
27-06-13, 17:02 GMT+10#10 Thanks mate
OT;
Got the rest of the boot done besides the top two corners thanks to the rain so will have to finish that off tomorrow. The whole top sill to my amazment was full of bog. But anyway, some pics.
Welds were done with a gasless so bare with me haha.
Thanks.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
01-07-13, 22:25 GMT+10#11 Hey all. SOme more updates. The boot is all done now which is sweet. Now to start on the windscreen rust...
Also. I got my intercooler piping back from a mate. He moved the AFM into the intercooler piping and I also made a new intake for the turbo. I thought it'd muzza dose ( You know, The real high pitched ones ) But it doesn't. Oh well. It's just loud as **** now. Gon' be sucking in kids and ****. Heres a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hAb4pw3r8TU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hAb4pw3r8TU)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
03-07-13, 03:19 GMT+10#12 Good job on the rust, was pretty bad in there. If you want a hektik kebab spec dose, cut the intake in half. Its too long. Point it down towards the ground if you want to retain a pod filter.
0 likes
03-07-13, 20:00 GMT+10#13 Thanks man. And yeah I've realized. All the muzza dose vl's I looked at are highmount so plenty of room for straight pipe. And I'd rather leave the pod where it is. Pick up less dirt and **** there haha.
0 likes
03-07-13, 23:54 GMT+10#14 Just get a 10" straight medal pipe on your low mount set up. Will do you perfect
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
04-07-13, 23:33 GMT+10#15 Nahh. I'll leave it how it is. I like it. Plus, If I were to work with the lowmount setup I'd need little ling ling asian hands to be able to reach **** haha
Anyway. Got my catch can on today. Dunno if I want to leave it where it is or move it?
Thanks.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
05-07-13, 19:24 GMT+10#16 Move the catch can, at first glance at the pic I thought the breather hoses were blue spark plug leads hahaha
0 likes
06-07-13, 01:19 GMT+10#17 It looks very awkward their. Put it where the charcoal canister is.
0 likes
07-07-13, 18:24 GMT+10#18 Catch cans moved. Looks alot better. Just have to shorten the hose. And also primed the boot and took a few snaps. Plans were this weekend to do the front windscreen rust section but because of partying and sleeping all day it didn't really happen. :/
Thanks.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
07-07-13, 18:40 GMT+10#19 we get the idea with the FMIC, that's 8 pics of it so far
0 likes
08-07-13, 11:18 GMT+10#20 Then you should get the idea that this is a build thread so its going to have numerous photos of an item i've been focusing on lately posted.
0 likes