Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

High Ballers - Billet RB30

Started by Stiki · 15 May 2013 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

StikiArchived member
Hello everyone, I used to use this site years ago when I was into my VLs. Long story short I'm looking at doing an RB again. I want to start with a Billet Block and have contacted Bullet Cylinder Heads. If you don't know them do a quick google search, they have proven themselves with thier Billet Subaru, 4G63 and SR20 and many Heads. The RB26 was in the pipelines but never got produced due to lack of interest. I want to know if the RB30 sence will have enough interest. Basically Bullet Heads has said the initial cost of a block is 20-25k to design, prototype and manufacture. A billet block itself would be in the $10,000 mark - expensive yes but cheap considering people pay $11k for a cast RRR RB26 Block.. if you can find one. So a sale of 3 blocks would cover initial costs and a small profit. I think if myself and atleast two other people made a down payment of $5000 each we could get this happening. Anyone genuinely interested? Cheers for your time - Stiki
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Quick question, why billet? There's plenty of high powered RB30s out there running the cast iron block. Or is it to be a little different...
0 likes
INFLYTArchived member
Why though? Just get a set up through RIPS or Maatouks. Proven 1000hp+ RB30's.
0 likes
StikiArchived member
I have also been speaking to Rob from RIPS - he digs the idea and told me what he'd personally do with that base. It's abit of absolute piece of mind 1000HP - more if I want it. To be a little different and to have a piece of art Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
I agree with these boys.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Maybe he wants to make 2000hp and touch up some 2jz 220mph celicas.. I say do it. Edit: didn't Rajab or Brescini make some?
0 likes
StikiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] Maybe he wants to make 2000hp and touch up some 2jz 220mph celicas.. I say do it. Edit: didn't Rajab or Brescini make some? Don't know but will have a look into that.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
But these 1,000rwhp engines would have grout filled blocks, would they not? I'd assume that you could have water galleries in a billet block and still be capable of running 60 psi of boost.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
I've talked about these with my engine builder, and he told me that if he can do a 6.9 in his Mazda with a 'factory' block there isn't much need for a billet one. But good on you if you go ahead with it, definitely something different, and if Rob says there's merit in it then go for it.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Chalk and cheese, different block with differing integrity issues.
0 likes
YetiArchived member
GONE IN 7 will get one
0 likes
StikiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] But these 1,000rwhp engines would have grout filled blocks, would they not? I'd assume that you could have water galleries in a billet block and still be capable of running 60 psi of boost. Water jackets are machined into the block and then sealed with a cover plate. An electric water pump must be used. There is sufficient cooling for all types of racing and street use. This is the ultimate starting base and could build a very street able 1000HP Street Block, or 2000HP Drag Block. BCH's Billet SR20 makes and holds 1600HP. I personally will go 3300cc with 1000-1200HP and a 200 Shot. Quote: Originally Posted by Bullet Cylinder Heads BCH designs, models and manufactures billet engine blocks to suit many applications. The example pictured is a Nissan SR20 Billet Aluminium Block. The blocks are made of air craft quality 6061T billet aluminum for ultimate strength. Modular design allows for different bell housing configurations. The SR20 Billet Block is currently offered with Nissan rear and front wheel drive as well as Chevrolet bell housing configurations. With both the SR20 & 4G63 the 5 main caps are machined as a one piece cradle providing maximum rigidity. The block is fitted with Darton nodular iron sleeves and 4 ARP 7/16" main studs per journal. Head studs are 1/2" providing increased clamping force on the head gasket. The Subaru block uses two sets of main bolts. Double the clamping force. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
lol thats back in the day of epic threads Quote: Originally Posted by Yeti [View Post] GONE IN 7 will get one
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
I wonder, will every thing you build into this package have to be top notch? The parts must be good quality as block alone will not guarantee longevity. look forward to seeing what goes into this package and what it pulls.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] But these 1,000rwhp engines would have grout filled blocks, would they not? I'd assume that you could have water galleries in a billet block and still be capable of running 60 psi of boost. Mine isnt grout filled, and it would have to be close to 1000 fwhp if not just over. Awesome idea if you can get the interest, but as said above, everything else would have to support the power too.
0 likes
86psiArchived member
Don't bother with the block but get them to do a decent head
0 likes
StikiArchived member
Well I've even contacted Maatouks and Rajab and didn't hear anything back Guess I'm out of options here. Anyone know of a New RB30 hiding in someone's garage? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
I would have thought the billet cylinder head would be the goal, not the block so much. Few options for billet heads around. Grout fill if you must, but I just don't see how its worth it unless you're completely customising the design... Only time you'll bust a block, especially if you fill it, is if you have something go wrong massively. If you have a slightly stronger billet block it will be ruined under the same conditions anyway... If a rod breaks and punches through a normal block, its still going to tear the **** out of a billet block, if not go through it anyway. But watch this anyway: http://youtu.be/GU32Q6QXtWQ
0 likes
elare69Archived member
would be cheaper to use RD2.8 block and fit 3L internals . diesel block tuff extra 20kg of meat and 8mm bore wall and can even fit dry sleeves inside/ block is $600 has oil squirters
0 likes
PWR 747Archived member
agreed
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

9,060 threads, 62,881 posts and 789 images saved from CT

26.5% of indexed threads saved