Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

James' 5L Berlina

Started by priceysVL · 10 Mar 2013 · 21 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

priceysVLArchived member
Hello CT Ive had a couple of threads on here previously where motivation and direction were lacking for financial reasons and mostly being relyant on other people. Between now and first joining ct, ive gone through a calais, 2 wagons and exec but i just cant seem to get rid of the vl bug. My latest venture was found by pure accident. I was planning to convert a bog stock auto exec into a turbo manual sleeper and was on the way to grab a full manual conversion..... and then I saw this [IMG] [/IMG] Genuine 5L Berlina. Originally not for sale but we worked out a deal. Make / Model: 1987 VL Berlina Colour: Gold (originally kimberly bronze, resprayed at some point) Bodykit: None Engine Type: 304 V8 Engine Mods: Cam (unsure of specs), K&N Air Filter Power: Untested Exhaust: Extractors into 3inch pipe with centre muffler Gearbox: 3 speed auto Diff: Unsure of specs Brakes: Disc all round Suspension: Lowered all round Wheels/Tyres: 15" Calais Wheels in need of a polish Interior: Beige Stereo: Plays Metal Other Mods: None Future mods: Plans are to fix a few little things such as trim and the interior - Set of wheels, probably VE SSV'S - Personalised plates - Major service and familiarise myself with carbys - Redo the suspension, possibly coilovers For now she'll be just a nice cruiser. Few more pics from this afternoon [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Wow thats pretty clean mate, not to mention 5L VLs are damn rare... especially a 5L berlina I was following your wagon build, but good luck with this one! Im starting to really like the gold vls for some reason, even the calais mags seem to suit it
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Cheers mate. I was half hearted with wagon and kept getting stuffed around. Love the sound of a v8 so I plant to look after this one
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Nice buy man, I reckon polished calais rims and black venetians would make this look clean as... Thanks nick
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
I would definantly like to get a set of ve ssv's, so once there on I might send the Calais wheels to get polished. Also will be chasing a set o f beige berlina front door trims as the current ones have speaker holes cut. Will have some interior shots in the next few days. Cheers for the comments guys, keep them coming
0 likes
fleasArchived member
Love it; re-align the front bumper moulds and get a hold of an SL, Exec, Berlina style nosecone badge. Looking forward to progress pics.
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Looks very nice. I miss my 5L Calais that I sold last year due to lack of motivation and money (plus needing money), really wish I had kept it. For what they are the old 5L's are still fun to drive. Hope the plans for this one pan out well.
0 likes
12maneymArchived member
looks clean as mate good score, will look good with the ssv's on her.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 12maneym [View Post] looks clean as mate good score, will look good with the ssv's on her. I posted on your wagon thread mate, is that an originally colour cause they look very similar in colour. Mine has been resprayed ---------- Post added 12-03-13 at 14:20 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Waughy [View Post] Looks very nice. I miss my 5L Calais that I sold last year due to lack of motivation and money (plus needing money), really wish I had kept it. For what they are the old 5L's are still fun to drive. Hope the plans for this one pan out well. Sound awesome too
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Sound awesome too Yes, I had genie headers, high flow cat and 2-1/2 inch cat back, sounded fantastic. I miss that V8 rumble, hoping to get close with the VZ Ls1 when funds allow but I know it won't sound quite as good as the old carby 5L.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Waughy [View Post] Yes, I had genie headers, high flow cat and 2-1/2 inch cat back, sounded fantastic. I miss that V8 rumble, hoping to get close with the VZ Ls1 when funds allow but I know it won't sound quite as good as the old carby 5L. I do remember seeing your 5L for sale, would've loved to have purchased but only got my fulls a week before buying this. Love v8 Calais, class with grunt. Putting a Calais front on his has crossed my mind
0 likes
WaughyArchived member
Yeah I'm kicking myself for selling but it wouldn't be any different if I kept it, just don't have the money to throw at it. Last I heard the motor had been pulled for a rebuild and the new owner had started respraying it. Haven't heard anything got a few months now.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Well atleast it's being looked after by the new owner
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
On Friday, a few of the exterior blemishes will be getting touched up. A dodgy previous repaired rear wheel arch and a bit under the windscreen. Hopefully I can get the colour matched right. Anyone have any ideas as to what the colour came from? As in what manufacturer? Or it may be a custom mix
0 likes
#adzArchived member
looks tidy as, and v8...love it you need to post some photos of the motor and interior!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Yeah will do mate, try to this weekend. Is also now sitting on ssvs. Need to replace strut tops in the coming weeks aswell. And probably getting some plates for my 21st
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Now for sale, pm if interested
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
why Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Now for sale, pm if interested did you find a wagon?
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Wagooon... On the way bigm Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today82

6,452 threads, 42,992 posts and 632 images saved from CT

18.8% of indexed threads saved