Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Gold Vl berlina series 200 project

Started by Adam95 · 2 Mar 2013 · 30 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Adam95Archived member
Hey guys , I recently picked up a champagne gold 1988 vl berlina series 200 For $600 dollars off an elderly bloke he was the first owner and the car is 100% original. Now the car has no rego or roady Needs new suspension ,drivers window wont go down , indicator relay , front indicator light , rust fixed in boot seal And a respray as far as I can tell. I thought I'd post a thread about This project cause there was only 600 made and there's probably not many around these days , well I have not seen any around my area lol I will post pics and plans I have for the vl. Feel free to post any good ideas , so far in the next couple of months I'm hoping to get her on the road and have the respray done. Sorry guys can't turbo her due to p plates in five months ---------- Post added 02-03-13 at 20:31 ---------- ---------- Post added 02-03-13 at 20:32 ---------- ---------- Post added 02-03-13 at 20:34 ---------- Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
fleasArchived member
I've always liked them, think they are pretty sweet. Don't worry about turbo....keep it stock even well into your 20s....less headaches trust me. Loving the gold hubcaps too. Never sell these. Cheers
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
Hey fleas, yeah mate i want to keep it original as possible , if changes are made everything taken off will be kept not sold!. the car does need a good clean up and will be done over the period of the next few months its just money setting me back but what can you do haha. also i forgot to add its an rb30 auto and car has done 240ks keep yous posted about other plans or changes .
0 likes
gold-vltArchived member
Take the hubcaps off asap but keep them stored because they will basically 100% get stolen being vl berlina turbo hubcaps that are highly sort after. especially in the southern states. Btw your series 200 has about the same amount of k's that mine did when i bought it 3 years ago. though mines got about 185,000 on it now and i've converted it to manual.
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by gold-vlt [View Post] Take the hubcaps off asap but keep them stored because they will basically 100% get stolen being vl berlina turbo hubcaps that are highly sort after. especially in the southern states. Btw your series 200 has about the same amount of k's that mine did when i bought it 3 years ago. though mines got about 185,000 on it now and i've converted it to manual. yeah i know what you mean lol i took them off the first day i got it i was surprised they were still on the car... how much did it set you back for the manual conversion ?
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Nice car mate, don't see many series 200 VLs anymore Where abouts are ya in noble park, I live nearby, might have to go for a p-plate cruise one day lol
0 likes
gold-vltArchived member
the manual conversion came bolted the spare engine that came with my old wagon. i used that with a brand new exedy sports tuff clutch, new throw out bearing and a braided clutch line for the conversion. but you can pick up a manual conversion for $300 - $600. you want one that hasnt been behind a boosted car though if its a na mf5 box youre after.
0 likes
bar0034Archived member
I saw this advertised and I thought hopefully this goes to a good home! Good pick up and grouse price!
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Looks good, and is a nice base to start with as well.
0 likes
russo187Archived member
awesome buy for $600 bucks mate...you don't see many of these series 200 vls...
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by gold-vlt [View Post] the manual conversion came bolted the spare engine that came with my old wagon. i used that with a brand new exedy sports tuff clutch, new throw out bearing and a braided clutch line for the conversion. but you can pick up a manual conversion for $300 - $600. you want one that hasnt been behind a boosted car though if its a na mf5 box youre after. I just bought a vl exec for 700 bucks , RB30 manual . its got a few other bits ill use for mine. ---------- Post added 10-03-13 at 16:44 ---------- Thanks guys , im keen to get a start on this ill keep yous updated
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
Hey guys just a quick update I got the executive back home yesterday only paid 650 , I'm considering wrecking it for parts and just keep the manual what do yous think ? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Those calais taillights *facepalm* lol
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
I know haha the paint work isn't that bad tho but if some one wants to buy it with no box and front bar there welcome lol
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
.... Or interior light lol
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
That exec looks like a decent pickup for $650, what colour is it I don't think I've seen it before? I reckon if you neatened up the moulds, put vl or vk tail lights in it and slammed it on mx grey turbo hubbies with maybe even a red pinstripe it'd look baller as f**k and you could probably make a profit if you sold it on like that as well lol.
0 likes
Adam95Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] That exec looks like a decent pickup for $650, what colour is it I don't think I've seen it before? I reckon if you neatened up the moulds, put vl or vk tail lights in it and slammed it on mx grey turbo hubbies with maybe even a red pinstripe it'd look baller as f**k and you could probably make a profit if you sold it on like that as well lol. Yeah haha I was gonna keep it for a daily but to much work needs to be done to it I've got 1 project already so ill probs just strip it for parts and keep most of it for spares ---------- Post added 18-03-13 at 14:01 ---------- Quick update guys got a 2 1/2inch red back sports exhaust with no rear muffler and pacemaker extractors with high flow cat should be on sometime this week
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
that series 200 was a good car. about 3 others including mysef were after it but old codger wouldn't let anyone come look at it! "Oh such and such said they would come next week so I'll wait until then" "
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam95 [View Post] Yeah haha I was gonna keep it for a daily but to much work needs to be done to it I've got 1 project already so ill probs just strip it for parts and keep most of it for spares ---------- Post added 18-03-13 at 14:01 ---------- Quick update guys got a 2 1/2inch red back sports exhaust with no rear muffler and pacemaker extractors with high flow cat should be on sometime this week let me know how you like that exhaust setup , im gonna buy the same thing but I think I'll get the rear muffler so it's not too loud.. did you buy a hiflow cat or using the stock one?
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i ran a 2 1/4 reccomend it any day over the 2.5" ---------- Post added 18-03-13 at 22:59 ---------- headers are great though. very underrated and an easy bolt on. brand isn't importnat keep an eye out for a cheap second hand pair
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today82

6,388 threads, 42,709 posts and 624 images saved from CT

18.7% of indexed threads saved