Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Garrett GTX42 vs Garrett T51R

Started by 251NFL · 5 Feb 2013 · 71 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

251NFLArchived member
Right o...I can't make up my mind...I can get a almost new t51r for 1000 cheaper than a brand new gtx42 Is the gtx THAT much better? Would love to hear from some people that either have either of these or know a fair bit bout them Cheers
0 likes
ITG-05ZArchived member
i would love to know about this too what would be better suited for my ls2 to spool quickly
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
One guy I know was making 630's rwkw wise on 32psi with a GTX42 Whats the compressor on a T51r? got any compressor maps to compare to?
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Well both wheel sizes are just about the same. The 51r has a smaller rear housing than the gtx Bear in mind it's going on a rb30 sohc...that 600kw car an sohc rb30? I know a dude making 560rwhp on 23psi from a sohc rb30 with 42x On the other hand know another dude making 670rwhp on 25psi with 51r but on 26/30...
0 likes
sherman89Archived member
Twin cam and single cam cant really be compared. And 23psi is hardly working. Have a talk with John about it, im sure he can give you good advice! If you are only looking for high 500s, theres so many options. Figure out how fast you want to go and then decide.
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Spoke to John already either way I wanna go will get the job done...I'm after 600-650rwhp...just want to get there as efficient as I can...most people are saying 42x...I just want to know if there is a 1000 dollar difference in the two The t51r made 540rwhp on 24psi on sohc also...
0 likes
JET-64UArchived member
No it's 26/30, car has made 950hp on 38 psi now with low timing, gtx will be less laggy and are very Effecient. Very happy with mine
0 likes
JET-64UArchived member
T51r's are good turbo's but any new billet wheel turbo is slot more efficient than steel wheel
0 likes
WHITER33Archived member
I have a T51r with 1.06 rear on my 26/30. Made 475rwkw thru a power robbing C4 at 24psi and 300rwkw @ only 10psi Was planning to run 30+ but my exhaust wasnt up for it
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Yeah seems like the 42x is better for a sohc...I might get the 51r for the time being and eventually go to 42x. Just can't see the extra 1k atm for what ultimately is close to the same thing
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 251NFL [View Post] Well both wheel sizes are just about the same. The 51r has a smaller rear housing than the gtx Bear in mind it's going on a rb30 sohc...that 600kw car an sohc rb30? I know a dude making 560rwhp on 23psi from a sohc rb30 with 42x On the other hand know another dude making 670rwhp on 25psi with 51r but on 26/30... Nup twin cammer mate. Hard to compare an engine to an engine unless same build specs. Heads, cams, manifolds all change it. ---------- Post added 05-02-13 at 21:05 ---------- Speak of the devil. Quote: Originally Posted by JET-64U [View Post] No it's 26/30, car has made 950hp on 38 psi now with low timing, gtx will be less laggy and are very Effecient. Very happy with mine
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Yeah can't compare against the 2630 lol I'm leaning towards the 51r atm just because of my financial situation, would be nice to save a grand... Anyone have a t51r on a sohc rb30??
0 likes
grunter01Archived member
I was thinking of going gtx42 on mine but can't justify the money upgrading my 42r
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Yeah man that's why I'm thinking going the 51r for the time being...
0 likes
sherman89Archived member
Just do it properly to start, why bother having to remake/change dump pipe/cooler pipe later. Just get a regular 4202!
0 likes
251NFLArchived member
Cos later ill be back on site and cashed up to my eyeballs so lil extras like that wont be a big hinderence...whereas now I just want to get it back on the road without having to keep the gt40 when I can upgrade for no extra cost Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
YEEHAAArchived member
Interesting thread. What RPM are you guys seeing full boost by with the above turbos/SOHC?
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 251NFL [View Post] Well both wheel sizes are just about the same. The 51r has a smaller rear housing than the gtx Bear in mind it's going on a rb30 sohc...that 600kw car an sohc rb30? I know a dude making 560rwhp on 23psi from a sohc rb30 with 42x On the other hand know another dude making 670rwhp on 25psi with 51r but on 26/30... One of the maatouks cars TEMPER went from a T51R to a GTX42R, made 1038rwhp, more than the T51R on lower boost.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
Why are you restricting your decisions to an old model (and used) Garrett and an updated version of an old Garrett. There are better turbos out there now. (says the guy still using the 35r... but only because i'm a poor ****)
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
I thought even the old Gt4202 outperforms the T51R , any 1 else know? cheers darren
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today31

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 217 images saved from CT