Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi everyone!
My names Albie, Im 21 and I live in Mangere(Dirty South Auckland). I bought my first VL last year in September and Ive loved it ever since! Always wanted a Holden, but love my turbos and the reliable RB motor. Then came across a VL turbo one day on trademe and thought 'WIN, WIN'. I picked my car up pretty cheap but it ran like ****, still not running mint but Ive fixed alot of little annoying issues to get the car to actually drive properly. The car is still a F**K tonne of fun though! Fully fell in love with my car and I'll never go back, only onwards and upwards from here!
P.S. I work with Matt aka ZOO222 and I always see him on this so I thought I'd get involved haha
Heres a few details of my car:
1988 Holden VL Commodore GTS(thats what its registered as but not 100% sure if it is a GTS)
Engine:
RB20DET engine installed by 'Hori Performance'! LOL
T04e turbo with wastegate port blocked off
Full 3" exhaust with Flowmaster before diff
TRUST BOV
Wasted Spark setup
Front mounted intercooler
HKS pod filter
RB20det gearbox
4.11 diff with LSD(installed just before xmas last year cause I slammed the rear end into a curb, perfect excuse to get rid of the single spinner)
All Certed so I can go nuts!
Exterior/interior:
Walkinshaw front bumper
18" Monaro rims with 215/35s in front and 225/40s in rear
Jamex SuperLows
Sportline 10" steering wheel
Monster Tacho
Autometer boost gauge
Up and coming mods:
SpeedLab ECU chip and dyno tune
Install WRX seats I have at home, just need to make up some rails
38mm wastegate on the turbo housing port
440cc injectors
Tints
Future mods(dreams):
RB25/30DET build with 400kw in mind
New paint job
RB25det BigBox
Heavy Duty clutch
Complete interior makeover
And the list goes on haha . . .
Really keen to get some cruises/meets organised to get the car scene back up to what it was back in the day, and I love to get my hands dirty and help out where I can if anyone needs it. I'll try get some pics up ASAP when I figure out how to do it, and cant wait to see some REAL VLs!
ChurChur
0 likes
Welcome to CT Albie.
We hope to get some cruises organised shortly, doesnt seem to be too many of the boys with cars actually going at the moment though, they all in the build.
Be good to see some pics of your VLT, use photobucket, i found thats the best for hosting pics.
0 likes
Welcome Champ. Look forward to seeing some pics. One of my old bros had a White GTS that was RB30ET'd.
0 likes
Hey mate, sounds like it's my old GTS. I owned it from 1997 to 2002 was a red GTS and is a gen car.
I converted it to a rb20 det in 1999.
I sold the car in 2002 to a good mate who sold it to the guy who painted it purple etc.
I put a MOMO equipped badge on the glove box if it's stll there......
Lotta good times and history in that car!
0 likes
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
thats a good looking vl. i like it.
the wheels look sweet and the ride height is perfect!
good stuff.
might want to put a fan shroud on though, the cooling without it isnt great, plus is it a wof issue with someone able to snub their fingers in it?
0 likes
Welcome to CT, car looks great well done
0 likes
14-01-13, 16:26 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
[View Post]
Hey mate, sounds like it's my old GTS. I owned it from 1997 to 2002 was a red GTS and is a gen car.
I converted it to a rb20 det in 1999.
I sold the car in 2002 to a good mate who sold it to the guy who painted it purple etc.
I put a MOMO equipped badge on the glove box if it's stll there......
Lotta good times and history in that car!
Haha hey mate! Yeah this is definitely your old car! STILL got the MOMO equipped badge on the glove box haha thats cool man nice to meet the guy who got this car started. Dont know what the car was like when you had it but it drove like a sack of S**T when I bought it off the last owner, he didnt take care of the car but its in capable hands now. Might see you around mate, we'll be at V8s and classics this weekend in Kumeu if your going.
Cheers
0 likes
14-01-13, 18:23 GMT+10#11 Hey man, good lookin ride ya got there.
Did you notice much difference in acceleration going to the 4.11 diff? It's on my to do list!
0 likes
15-01-13, 05:10 GMT+10#12 Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFVLT
[View Post]
Haha hey mate! Yeah this is definitely your old car! STILL got the MOMO equipped badge on the glove box haha thats cool man nice to meet the guy who got this car started. Dont know what the car was like when you had it but it drove like a sack of S**T when I bought it off the last owner, he didnt take care of the car but its in capable hands now. Might see you around mate, we'll be at V8s and classics this weekend in Kumeu if your going.
Cheers
just hope you dont see Craig in his daily ride/job if you playing silly buggers....hehe
0 likes
15-01-13, 08:12 GMT+10#13 Narh your safe I don't drive anymore, office man for the next year
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
15-01-13, 08:56 GMT+10#14 Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
[View Post]
Narh your safe I don't drive anymore, office man for the next year
oh really, bugger aye...but good to know
good that one of the guys bought your old girl aye, thats the one you were telling me about the other day, good looking car, with good running gear then.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
15-01-13, 18:59 GMT+10#15 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS
[View Post]
Hey man, good lookin ride ya got there.
Did you notice much difference in acceleration going to the 4.11 diff? It's on my to do list!
Hey cheers mate! And yeah I noticed the difference in acceleration with the 4.11 diff but dont forget about the loss at top end, I dont quite know if its the diff or my engine(most probably the engine) but its not too good at top end. Its all over to you bro! Come to Kumeu this weekend haha I wanna see VLs galore!
0 likes
22-01-13, 18:07 GMT+10#16 Hey guys!
I consider myself a backyard mechanic but I dont do wires!
I had a failed sparky attempt today! My boost gauge light stopped working so I followed the wires to see if they were algud and found a wire had split and another was exposed so I assumed it was the wire but then I touched them together and it sparked and now my park lights and instrument lights dont work. Then I had a closer look and there was TWO exposed wires. Meaning I must have touched the opposite wires and f**ked it! Ive checked the fuse box but its hori'd up and the wires dont even go to the fuse port(where you place the fuse). Ive tried to bridge it but nothings working. WTF have I done? Any ideas?
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Cheers guys
0 likes
23-01-13, 15:50 GMT+10#18 Sounds like its poped a fuse im guesing someone has tried to repair the fusebox at some stage , theyre common for melting up.Check around the fuse box they have probably rewired that circuit through an aftermarket fuse.
0 likes
23-01-13, 17:52 GMT+10#19 [QUOTE=hsvhel;2990571]Dash lights working?[/QUOTE
Hey mate
Nah dash lights don't work, park lights don't work both front and back but headlights work? gonna replace the fuse box this weekend cause part of it is melted. found the park light fuse wires going to a aftermarket fuse but that's not blown? any other ideas? the wiring in my car is absolute sh*thouse!
0 likes
23-01-13, 18:44 GMT+10#20 Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes