Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
So who has towed what behind their VL's?
im looking at buying a vl as a weekender, but i really need something that can tow a car also.
anybody towed cars regularly with their vl?
normally tow with borrowed long wheel base barge arse falcoon's.
0 likes
if its an auto, add a large transcooler to it and check the radiator is on good service.
since the rear end is light in VL's, make sure to get the load weight far enough up front.
I can't remember what the towing weight for them is, hopefully some others can chime in.
0 likes
yeah mechanical side of things im not concerned with, its more how the car behaves on the road with the amount of weight behind it (i.e. if the trailer bullies the drive car or not)
0 likes
I toweda vl with a vl one bein towed was a rolling shell tho .
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB2019
[View Post]
I toweda vl with a vl one bein towed was a rolling shell tho .
and..........................................?
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880
[View Post]
and..........................................?
Yea all good ay . didn't know it posted was ment ta fin haha on my mobile at lunch sorry lad ..
0 likes
doesn't towing warp the boot/rear of the car? given that they are made of old tuna cans and cheese?
0 likes
yeah i towed a car (pulsar) with my old berlina turbo. with the trailer on i couldnt shut the boot.....that said it didnt exactly have a boot floor....
0 likes
It's a bad idea, maybe as a once off to get you out of trouble but no way I would do it frequently. They are too light and have nowhere near the towing capacity... Spend 2k on a falcon wagon, spend abit getting it up to scratch/a good towbar and tow with alot more piece of mind!!
0 likes
07-11-12, 15:37 GMT+10#10 yeah ive only ever towed with falcon's and fairlanes myself before and a VE commodore. forget how 'light' these cars were compared to cars of today. bloody mazda 3 has about the same curb weight!
0 likes
07-11-12, 18:19 GMT+10#11 I've towed once with one..they are **** Broomy...
cheers
darren
0 likes
07-11-12, 19:02 GMT+10#12 Hate this to happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfLnLwFcSBc
0 likes
09-11-12, 22:47 GMT+10#13 I've towed all sorts with my Calais...
P1013319.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57214&d=1352468507)
P1013428.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57215&d=1352468507)
6f7rurr.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57216&d=1352468747)
As mentioned use common sense and don't drive at 110 whilst towing and you will be fine
And give yourself plenty of stopping room!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
26-11-12, 16:28 GMT+10#14 Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880
[View Post]
and..........................................?
Jus looking around all u do is start s#$t . Y don't u jus ---- off . Jus sayin .....
0 likes
26-11-12, 16:59 GMT+10#15 I once towed a full weight XC Falcon on a heavy ass car trailer from one side of brisbane to the other (~100kms) in my first N/A Auto VL Calais.
Took ages to get up to 80 kph. No damage to anything. Auto smelt a bit for a few days afterwards but forgave me eventually and went back to being like normal.
Do not recommend again.
0 likes
26-11-12, 18:46 GMT+10#16 get a ute with proper chassis eg 1990's navara, the boot floor in any commodore is just too weak to be towing anything with more then one axle
0 likes
27-11-12, 21:59 GMT+10#17 Towed at VT with my old n/a and it didn't feel good when I got it on the trailer the rear wheels wear coming of the ground then when I was driving the front end felt extremely light :/ wouldn't recommends it to be honest but can be done
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
28-11-12, 08:07 GMT+10#18 My two vl's have/had tow gear fitted, I've heard it fks the boot/rear end by stretching. Mine have/had all manner of braces in/around the boot. I didn't have any issues when towing, but the only one I've towed with, was a manual.
0 likes
15-12-12, 20:31 GMT+10#19 I tow with my N/A manual all the time, mostly only jet skii's and dirtbikes, but I have towed a decent size boat (twin axle trailer) with it and seemed to handle it fine, only problem is the lack of power!
0 likes
16-12-12, 10:30 GMT+10#20 a mate of mine has towed a sh1t load of cars a sh1t load of times with his n/a vl wagon, long trips, heavy trips etc has nevery had a problem, the front end gets very very light however but once you get the hang of it your sweet
0 likes