Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Will this diff fit?

Started by VLBR0 · 9 Mar 2012 · 22 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLBR0Archived member
I was given a diff not long ago. It had just come out of a VH SLE and I was told that it was VB-VL compatible. I was also told by the same person that it was a V8 wagon diff. I haven't been able to find a tag anywhere but I have found a stamped number: 15L3. There are also two other numbers that look like they were stamped in yellow paint from the factory: [GMH 1 53] and [30L3D]. My question is: what is it and will it fit in a VL? I only ask because I would like to replace my drums with discs before converting to turbo. Thanks in advance for any help!
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Surely one of you VL gods can give me some helpful info.
0 likes
leb vltArchived member
If it came out of a VH sle then it won't be a wagon diff as the mounting points for the shocks and trailing arms are in a different position, yes it will fit in a vl sedan but ul have to get a custom tail shaft made up if u are going to use the rb30, as vb-vk came out with salisbury diff an the vl came out with the borgwarner.
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
thank you!
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by leb vlt [View Post] If it came out of a VH sle then it won't be a wagon diff as the mounting points for the shocks and trailing arms are in a different position, yes it will fit in a vl sedan but ul have to get a custom tail shaft made up if u are going to use the rb30, as vb-vk came out with salisbury diff an the vl came out with the borgwarner. yes and no. Vh sle's also came in a wagon. 1-If its a wagon diff it will fit but the shocker mounts are different and youll have to move them ( rewelding too hard ) 2-If its a sedan diff it will fit no probs. 3- For the tail shaft use the front half of yours and the rear half of any commodore fitted with a salsbury diff. 4- Diff gears will most likely be 2.77, which would make you vl a slug Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
leb vltArchived member
Wow really? Didn't know they made a VH sle wagon?? I've seen cpl wagons but always thought they'd been mocked up by there owners! Gd to know
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Thanks guys, I also found this info at http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ifications.htm (http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/holden_commodore_VH_technical_specifications.htm) Rear Axle Ratio: 1.90 L4 4 speed manual: 3.90:1 1.90 L4 5 speed manual: 3.90:1 1.90 L4 3 speed trimatic: 3.90:1 2.85 L6 4 speed manual: 3.36:1 (3.55:1 LSD) 2.85 L6 3 speed trimatic: 3.08:1 (3.36:1 LSD) 3.30 L6 LC� and HC� 4 speed manual: 3.08:1 (3.36:1 LSD) 3.30 L6 HC� trimatic 2.78:1 (3.08:1 LSD) 4.2 V8 4 speed manual: 3.08:1 4.2 V8 3 speed trimatic: 2.78:1 (3.08:1 LSD) 5.0 V8 4 speed manual: 3.36:1 5.0 V8 3 speed trimatic: 2.60:1 (3.08:1 LSD) HC� and LC� denote High and Low Compression engines Did the VH SLE come out with a manual? I've heard that the VL Calais was only auto and was wondering if it's the same deal with the VH SLE. If not, is it possible that the diff I have could be 3.36 or the 3.08? AND Is there any other way to find out exactly besides taking the thing apart and checking the gears?
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLBR0 [View Post] Thanks guys, I also found this info at http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ifications.htm (http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/holden_commodore_VH_technical_specifications.htm) Rear Axle Ratio: 1.90 L4 4 speed manual: 3.90:1 1.90 L4 5 speed manual: 3.90:1 1.90 L4 3 speed trimatic: 3.90:1 2.85 L6 4 speed manual: 3.36:1 (3.55:1 LSD) 2.85 L6 3 speed trimatic: 3.08:1 (3.36:1 LSD) 3.30 L6 LC� and HC� 4 speed manual: 3.08:1 (3.36:1 LSD) 3.30 L6 HC� trimatic 2.78:1 (3.08:1 LSD) 4.2 V8 4 speed manual: 3.08:1 4.2 V8 3 speed trimatic: 2.78:1 (3.08:1 LSD) 5.0 V8 4 speed manual: 3.36:1 5.0 V8 3 speed trimatic: 2.60:1 (3.08:1 LSD) HC� and LC� denote High and Low Compression engines Did the VH SLE come out with a manual? I've heard that the VL Calais was only auto and was wondering if it's the same deal with the VH SLE. If not, is it possible that the diff I have could be 3.36 or the 3.08? AND Is there any other way to find out exactly besides taking the thing apart and checking the gears? sle and vl calais both came out in manuals. only way to be sure is to pop off the rear cover. Not hard dude if its out the car. Turn it so the rear plate is facing up (that way you wont loose fluid), undo the bolts and pull off the rear plate, once done look at the gears and on the side it will have stamped the ratio. You may have to turn the gear to see the stamp, just turn it by spinning the wheel or disc. good luck
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
You are an absolute champion mate! I'll let you know how I go with it.
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
No probs
0 likes
vhr32Archived member
pics would've been handy...
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
The crown wheel had this to say: [Holden 7437394 - 3.08 Ratio M D], then there was a gap [K VE] and then this, which looked as if it was scratched in by hand [12578]. So it's a 3.08 which would still be a bit too low in the gears for me. Does the "7437934" mean anything to anyone? (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/img1844h.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/img1843ng.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img1840x.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/img1839jt.jpg/) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img1838h.jpg/) ---------- Post added 14-03-12 at 23:39 ---------- I beg forgiveness for the horrible picture quality. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
3.08 aint too bad mate. youll have less power down low but hway will be pretty sweet Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Yeah but I still need to know if it's a wagon diff as well. The mounting spots will be wider on a wagon diff yeah?
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
Just compare where the mouting lugs for the shocks are compared to yours. Sedan is all the way near the disc, wagon is more towards the middle ---------- Post added 15-03-12 at 07:49 ---------- Just looked at your pics again. Yep looks like wagon buddy.
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Thanks for all your help man. Wanna buy a V8 Salisbury wagon diff with 3.08 ratio gears? haha!
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
No probs dude. You should be able to sell that. There is a market in other forums for it. Is it LSD ?
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Not 100% sure, the gears didnt say anything but when I turn one wheel the other one goes with it...
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
Turns the same way or opposite ?
0 likes
VLBR0Archived member
Not sure, I'll check when I get home. Which is LSD?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 7 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today20

17,446 threads, 181,610 posts and 2,045 images saved from CT

51.0% of indexed threads saved