Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

GMH Test Car - Formula / Phoenix Red

Started by SIroller · 3 Jan 2016 · 23 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

SIrollerArchived member
hey mate they should sit flush its only a few mm thick and its all under the seals anyway which have a little extra space to play with. re metal tech i dont know what it is and this just seemed an easy option. for $30 for the sheet i recon it was worth a try. the issue is i didn't have a lot of room to play with as pretty much everythging under the screen was rotten but i dont want any evidence of repair poking out. ill see how we go when the screen is refitted.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
far out man a lot of work has gone into it!! wish i had the money and know how to fix mine like that!
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
money wise car cost 1500. head was about $400 for work + 350 for head + 300 cash to get a mate to fit it up. the other parts sourced so far are all from my spare parts bin. apart from a uncut parcel shelf which was $100 on fleabay (delivered by an excellent bloke!) so all in im at about say 3g inc wheels paint fibreglass etc etc etc. (fuekl / oils / primer all that **** which builds up.) in regards to difficulty its not that bad. it looks dauntiong but my advice is when starting do 1 bit at a time. you'll see in my other car build threads I hit 1 project per winter. eg in my red wagon 1 winter was removing cleaning and reassembling all of the front guards and wheel wells. 1 winter was removing the diff rebuilding and painting the diff tunnel and another winter the fuel tank and all that area. and i recently did rust repairs in my vn rear window as a standalone job. its easier doing everything in snippets.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
Bump up - Due to lack of progress and other vehicles I'm commited to I'm putting this on gumtree etc for an EOI. runs drives rust repaired. requires reassembly. some done since last pics. can come with complete turbo kit. brand new ebay t3/4 ---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 21:39 ---------- Hi guys, For Sale: VL Formula September 1987. Believed to be a GMH styling department test car. – documentation included Rust repaired New top end (turbo Cam) series 2 block, price includes a turbo conversion. Details: Sep 1987 VL Sedan 316km Formula (normally a dealer fitted option) Very original car with some history Grey interior. Similar to the late 87 “Limited editions” Phoenix Red paint (VN SS colour…) The lowdown: I found this car on scumtree in Dec 15. It bothered me so I kept looking back and it was always still there. I rang the seller and after an inspection I had to have it. At the time I overpaid but I thought I was onto something. Also back then I had more time and less projects than I do now. The car has owners manuals stating D38 was the owner and all GM Dandenong stamps including original services. Tracking down a few insiders we discovered Department 38 is the styling department. This car has the complete Formula pack except for the door handle covers. This includes: Headrest inserts Front and rear wings Colour coded bumpers Decals After reaching out to the VKL community we discovered some odd things. It’s factory plated Phoenix red which was not a VL option. It is the only known Phoenix car in existence. There are rumours of an atlas one but no proof. It was said to have been in one family since “new” in North Melb and when it was retired from daily duties it was passed onto the son who blew the head. The mechanic quoted on a repair and the car was sold. It was purchased by a Gemini Fanatic who had it up for sale because he wanted cash for a paintjob. I’ve pulled it down. Repaired front and rear screen rust New front screen Replaced factory parcel shelf. Installed factory boot carpet. Sourced colour matched walkinshaw wheels (original 15x7” roh’s included in sale) Installed a 2.5” exhaust, K&N Filter and Extractors (Bashed Cat.) Head is shaved and acid dipped. No welds or cracks. Standard turbo head. All new seals. Turbo cam (standard turbo cam, truthfully its not noticable) New timing belt New head gasket. New spark and leads Lots of new crap. Runs and drives well. Tranny and diff are good. Included with the sale is an Ebay t4 highmount setup as pictured fitted to another car. Everything minus injectors and ecu (was running stock a6 injectors and ECU) Car is currently dismantled as pictured however comes with everything including a new front bumper an HDT lip (the Formula one is included but the HDT is easier to fit than repoair the formula one ) some new and spare formula decals. The only thing you will need to return to stock (apart from exhaust) is a tape deck which will be included. Reason for sale? I’m considering downsizing my commitments. Project car wise and in many other areas! I’ve sold off a few rollers and now I’m moving onto the next few cars. This one I really would prefer to reassemble and tuck away but the shed is full and I haven’t touched it for over a year. Time to get realistic. Asking 8k as is. This is a one off car. Includes a turbo setup. With a never ever boosted turbo. (brand new in box) has a rebuilt top end, runs sweet and has had rust patched. This is a truly lovely car. It’s exciting just to unwrap and appreciate what an oddball it is and that it made it to the public. These test cars just don’t exist in the VL range. (theyre very common… actually make that not unheard of…in H model holdens.)
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT