THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM
HOLDCOM Community
Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.
Sponsored by HOLDCOM AUTO PARTS ↗
+ Start a discussion
General discussion
Swado's Restoration and Maintenance Thread
Started by Swadz · 20 Jan 2015 · 41 repliesPreserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
15-03-16, 08:51 GMT+10#23
So I thought I would update the thread, I though CT needs to be kept alive and that starts by people using the forum and posting up updates on their cars.
So in the past year I have enjoyed really driving the car and ticking things slowly off the list.
Progress has been slow as a result of a 7 week European vacation in the middle of last year, work / uni commitments and everyday life.
Anyway back to the car, so in October last year I entertained the idea of getting a HDT wheel, however with the price of them I just could not justify spending $700+. So I did my research and found a few models of cars used the wheel I was after.
After a quick hunt on Yahoo Auctions Japan I finally Bought a wheel.
Wheel is a Momo Ghibli III that is found in Group A vl�s.
I imported the wheel into Australia Using the Services of Jesse Streeter (he is the man).
Here is a picture of the photo posted on the Japanese add
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_5233.jpg.html)
After waiting 4 weeks the wheel finally arrived to my delight. Didn�t take me long to fit it up and wire all the horn functions. Here is how it looks in the car.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_5962.jpg.html)
Unfortunately I lost my phone and had some photos of a few other projects I have done and additions I have made to the car.
I had a couple days of work and decided to respray all the window surrounds in Satin Black. What a mission but came up mint and really lifted the cars appearance. I also purchased some mint Formula Headrest Inserts that I feel really compliment the interior nicely and keep with the OEM theme.
The biggest mod to the car as of date came in late December when I purchased a manual conversion from my friend Deans VLCT (TUB 747). I hate auto�s and thought it was the next sensible mod
The conversion came with
1. R33DET gearbox
2. Custom Tailshaft
3. DCS 5 puck Single plate clutch (rated to 700hp)
4. Master Cylinder
5. Brake Pedal
6. Manual Centre Console Piece
7. Rebuilt Starter motor and all the other necessary pieces.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_5465_1.jpg.html)
Installing the gearbox sucked with the car on stands, but allowed me to gain confidence in working on my own car and the necessary knowledge of swinging spanners. F**K I hate auto spiggots with a passion lol. While the box was out I put a new seal kit through the gearbox and replaced the rear main.
Goodbye Dog shift Jatco
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_5545.jpg.html)
However the overall conversion I wasn�t too bad and it helped having a new shed to work in. Dad and I built a shed to store my car and his assortment of tools etc.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_5574.jpg.html)
So I have been enjoying driving the car as a manual a lot more than when it was previously auto.
So after the conversion I often thought what the next mod / direction I would be taking the car in. Keep the OEM look or go in a different direction.
Since I love driving cars hard I thought the natural progression was getting the car to actually stop and steer.
So I did just that, and went and purchased a set of Ksport Coilovers, Harrop Ultimate Brakes from a VY R8 clubsport (4 pot F&R) with 343mm front and 315mm rear rotors (they are huge) and I purchased a VLT LSD diff.
I am not a fan of LSD differentials, so I decided to replace the centre with a spool and the factory 3.45 ratio with 4.11 diff gears. I am currently freshing the diff up with with new Timken Bearings and axle seals.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6093.jpg.html)
Tonight I decided to clean up the callipers and begin dissembling them as I am going to rebuild them.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6042.jpg.html)
In regards to future plans of the car:
I have to sort out what wheels I will run, I know have to run 17�s as a minimum.
Want to install period correct Recaro�s
Install coil overs, diff and rebush the car.
And Ultimately in the next couple of years build a 10 second street car.
So thanks for reading this long winded post, thought it was about time I contributed to the CT community, with all it has done for me.
Swado
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
16-03-16, 15:51 GMT+10#25
Very nice... awesome colour. Wont be able to fit the 15 inch hubcaps on when youve got those big brakes on.
Ive just put a mini spool and a 3.9s in my car and its unreal fun but chatters like a bitch around corners with the taller gears
Gloss black 19s/20s would be off the chainnnnn
0 likes
17-03-16, 08:13 GMT+10#26
Very nice, looks like its worthy of a sub to this thread. Keen to see updates.
0 likes
19-03-16, 20:21 GMT+10#27
Good update mate. Really good read and heading in a good direction. I'm interested to see how the coilovers and brakes setup handle together but a shame you wont be able to run the turbo hubcaps
FR18s or even 19s would set this right off mate. Credit to you
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
24-08-16, 22:48 GMT+10#28
I thought it was time for another update�
So after buying the parts I enjoyed cruising the car while I gathered parts to complete the next stage in the cars mods.
This is how the car looked before I took it off the road.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6309.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6248.jpg.html)
Love the paint in this Picture, really glad I got the opportunity to own this car.
So I decided to take the car of the road and overhaul all the suspension components, while also detailing the undercarriage and installing the brakes / diff.
So Before I put the car in shed to start stripping it down I decided to rebuild the Harrop Calipers.
They where missing some parts so I Had to buy them directly from Harrop.
I bought the seal kit from Harrop Engineering directly, for all four calipers.
I had abit of trouble removing all the pistons at the beginning but after trail and error I worked out a system.
This involved using a G-clamp and air compressor to blow the Piston�s out from the caliper.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6496.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6525.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6528.jpg.html)
After Rebuilding the Calipers I decided to paint the calipers a gloss black
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6537.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6539.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6541.jpg.html)
After I finished rebuilding the calipers I brought the car into the shed and began tearing it down.
I removed all suspension components and the diff.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6569.jpg.html)
After removing all the components, I completely cleaned under the car, and individual cleaned each component. I also painted the undercarriage and the inner guards in sound deadener and resprayed each component.
Painting Process
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6562.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6564.jpg.html)
Before Painting and Cleaning
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6549.jpg.html)
After painting and Cleaning
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6571.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6710.jpg.html)
I painted the lower trailing arms in gloss black, upper trailing arms in silver.
The shocks which where originally orange where repainted silver.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6627.jpg.html)
This was a very labour intensive task but I feel doing stuff like this separates your car and workmanship from other�s.
During this time, I rebushed the car using superpro bushings.
I installed new radius rod bushes, Lower control arm bushes, trailing arm bushes and upper trailing arm bushes.
I also installed new white line sway bars.
Fronts are 27mm 4 point adjustable
Rears are 22mm 4 point adjustable
I also changed the diff gear centre out (LSD) for a mini-spool
I repainted the hardlines on the diff silver and also resprayed the diff.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6695.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6657_1.jpg.html)
Once I had completed all this it was time to install the new brakes and the diff.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6917.jpg.html)
I also did the VT/ VS booster upgrade.
This took longer than expected due the adaptor I bought off ebay failing on me
Went to Pirtek and they sorted me out with a new fitting.
Due to the Harrop�s I needed to make custom Brake lines.
I got Matt from Race Brakes Sydney to make me some custom Braided Brake lines. Honestly could not recommend him more, he was super helpful and was always in contact with me throughout each step and they where shipped within 3 days.
I also had my cluster rebuilt and a new Speedo cable made during this time. The guys at NAMIISS (The gauge shop) did a fantastic job.
They replaced a few components and now the cluster works like a dream.
SO after installing the new components I got the car on the ground and this is how it currently sits.
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6927.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6929.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6940.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6934.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/IMG_6932.jpg.html)
Unfortunately however when I went to get an alignment I ran into some problems.
The rear Left brake was stuck on, which meant I could not drive the car.
I got a mate to help me tow it back to mine, and the car has not been touched since.
(I am currently interstate working in a hospital as part of my university degree).
Anyway I hope you enjoyed my update,
Thanks
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
25-08-16, 16:20 GMT+10#31
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT
[View Post]
Absolutely love this car!! Hate the current wheels though sorry lol
Yeah I realise they are ****, I only paid $150 with four new tyres.
Hopefully have some welds soon.
Thinking of selling rear brakes so I can run a drag wheel under it.
0 likes
17-10-16, 16:39 GMT+10#33
So another update for you guys.
So I decided to sell my Harrop Brakes and all the other brake components after
realising that I want to be able to run 15's.
After I sold them I did some research and decided to purchase the Wilwood Braking Kit from JP Fabrications.
Honestly could not recommend more, fantastic guy, extremely fast turn around and high quality work.
Anyway, here are some photos.
(http://s860.photobucket.com/user/swado69/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%205.23.30%20PM.png.html)
(http://s860.photobucket.com/user/swado69/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%205.23.43%20PM.png.html)
Hopefully one day i will be able to update with something interesting, like a GTX42
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
07-11-16, 22:52 GMT+10#35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS
[View Post]
Nice rig man
Thanks mate! Happy with how it is progressing
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT
[View Post]
Please put the hubbies back on looks so sik
you will be happy with the next couple of pictures
So I have recently got the car on the road, absolutely stoked with how the car feels.
Handles well, is stable through corners and stops really well with the wilwoods front and rear.
So here are some pictures after attending a local car event with a friend.
Sean's chaser is really clean, and has fantastic stance.
anyway Pictures tell a thousand words.
Enjoy
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/14975801_1248349491875549_1344603553_o.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/14964284_1318277168228722_1783667000_o.jpg.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/14975730_1248349465208885_416652500_o.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
31-01-17, 21:51 GMT+10#39
Wow awesome work and car mate, love the colour and can't go wrong with turbo hubbies!
0 likes
20-07-17, 13:18 GMT+10#40
Another long period between updates for the car...
Progress has been slow predominately as a result of moving out of home and starting a new career, but also due to the time taken to save the necessary funds to undertake the next stage of the car.
Anyway, I will keep it short and unfortunately don't have a whole lot of pictures to go with it.
So, I decided this year was the time to have a motor built and hopefully purchase a hot and cold package for the car.
I purchased a series 2 motor which meant I didn't have to pull the motor out of my car. The engine is currently at a friends shop awaiting parts to begin balancing of the rotating assembly.
Specs of the motor Include the following:
Custom Nitto / JE Pistons & Rings (9.0-1) compression ratio
Nitto H-Beam Rods
Nitto Oil Pump
Nitto Crank Collar
Nitto Head Gasket
ACL race Series Main bearings
ACL Race series big end bearings
ARP main Studs
Ross Tuffbond Balancer
Gates Racing Timing Belt
Camtech 274 or 272 Cam with camtech springs and retainers
ARP Headstuds
ASR race Sump (8.5l) capacity
The motor will hopefully get to the machine shop in the next couple of weeks,
where it will be Acid Bathed, Bored, Honed & Decked and balanced etc. The head will also be getting an Overhaul.
I also purchased a New Twin plate clutch from Direct Services in Brisbane.
The service and quick turn around by Drew and the team At DCS was unbelievable, would definitely recommend them to anyone.
Anyway here are some pics:
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-07-20%20at%2012.48.23%20PM.png.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-07-20%20at%2012.48.12%20PM.png.html)
(http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/swado/media/20227650_1513837348660094_167293619_o.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.
Who’s online
1 member and 11 guests active in the last 15 minutes
3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT