Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My 1986 VL SL

Started by VLT222 · 19 Aug 2013 · 61 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

priceysVLArchived member
Even got the Nissan number plate surround ahah
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Even got the Nissan number plate surround ahah Yeah haha that's we're I work, it's all about little details lol
0 likes
NZMikeArchived member
Just thought i would pop in and say how much i loved your red SL. That thing looks so good, Im trying to build a Red SL at the moment so looking at your pictures is real motivation. Used your paint idea on my rear garnish and front grill, used the dark metallic grey. Probably do the bumpers at some stage too. Your white sl is pretty mint too, my vl before the red sl was a white Berlina. Was a good car for me but it is now falling apart for the new owner :-P. Keep up the good work.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZMike [View Post] Just thought i would pop in and say how much i loved your red SL. That thing looks so good, Im trying to build a Red SL at the moment so looking at your pictures is real motivation. Used your paint idea on my rear garnish and front grill, used the dark metallic grey. Probably do the bumpers at some stage too. Your white sl is pretty mint too, my vl before the red sl was a white Berlina. Was a good car for me but it is now falling apart for the new owner :-P. Keep up the good work. Thanks mate, I miss that car sometimes it had such a great colour on it. what colour is yours? Maranello red? Once you do the bars in that dark grey metallic it really makes the car mint. I hope this one comes out just as good.. ---------- Post added 18-02-14 at 20:09 ---------- Bit of an update.. Installed my new fuel pump with all new fuel hose and hose clamps, spent about $30 just on hose clamps for all the breathers and fuel pump etc. Also fitted a new water pump and timing belt.. But had a slight delay because I got sent the wrong tensioner, so it like this for a while.. With new belt and pump happy days.. So I drove it to work the next day and keeping an eye out for any over heating or leaks and all seemed ok untill I noticed a puddled of coolant under the car where I parked :/ I thought it was the pump at first but ended up being the top hose clamp. Popped a new one on there and she was all sweet Anyway thats all for now. Next I want to get a set of tyres and tints removed.. Keep you's posted. Nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
NZMikeArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLT222 [View Post] Thanks mate, I miss that car sometimes it had such a great colour on it. what colour is yours? Maranello red? Once you do the bars in that dark grey metallic it really makes the car mint. I hope this one comes out just as good.. Yea it is Maranello Red. It was/is in a pretty sad state when i bought it. Has been repainted very poorly which has now faded badly and starting to peel off in places. Under the new paint you can see the old, so no doubt that they didn't prime they just painted on the old paint. Once i get enough money together ill be getting the whole car redone properly, but for now im just going to redo the bumpers and trim grey, they painted them red too, and try to polish up the **** red paint the best i can. It should be worth it in the long run as there aren't too many SL Manual Turbos over here in NZ.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Just a little update, have her a polish on the weekend came up pretty mint. Just want to get a few things ticked off the list soon. New tyres all round Tints off lower the front That's about it for now I'm trying to get my hands on a turbo setup for it so we will see how that goes. Thanks nick
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Wow haven't been on this for ages lol.. I haven't got a computer ATM but when I do I will defiantly update it. Have down plenty to the car so it will be good! Thanks nick
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Update time!!! Ok so its been ages, and I pretty much cruised the car around, mostly on weekends, its only acummulated about 4000kms since I've owned it lol anyway around july of 2014 I pulled the car off the road thinking I would get it ready for turbo and since the p plate laws came.. blah blah. So its basically sat since then since I haven't been able to spend much money on it. But things are happening finally now so heres the update! Ok so the first thing.. the car now goes by FLY086, what do you's think? So this is the bay the day I pulled it off the road And the bay as of today 12-10-14.. And after almost 12months of not being able to see out the windows at night to reverse park I took those sh!t tints off.. So my plans as of now are to get my hands on a turbo setup, I've got one lined up off a mate, pull the head off, chuck a cometic head gasket on and some arp head studs, bolt it all up, maybe chuck a cooler on and go dosing!! Will update it soon, I'm really happy with how its going so far, I'm trying to go for sleeper look Thanks nick.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Ok guys update time! Its getting close and I'm getting really keen to get it back on the road. So I've got a box of parts accumulating for the conversion now. Just waiting on a few more things, I need to get the exhaust manifold studs drilled out fixed (6 of them broke when pulling the old stuff off). Once the studs get fixed then ill be putting it all together hopefully. It will consist of arp head studs, cometic over sized headgasket, hi-flow t3, cooler and exhaust. Thats the basics anyway. Ive also been trying to tidy up the bay a little bit as there was some rust damaged from a leaking battery. Ive added some 'bling' parts just so it looks a bit neater aswell, i.e. billet alternator bracket, billet thermostat housing and top hose outlet (all aeroflow stuff). Looks sick I reckon, anyway time for some pics. This was the state of the battery tray before.. The prep.. And after.. came out well I think. Broken studs -.- And my pigeon caller Oh and I also dummied up a cooler with the help of a mate.. Thats all for now until I get a few more parts then it'll time to put everything together! cannot wait haven't driven it in almost 6 months :/ Thanks nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Top work! Battery tray came up a treat, might need to do similar to mine it's a shocker Should be sweet with some boost you lucky NSW blokes! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Thats hectic man will be good fun when its back on the road! Tempted to turbo mine so much lol.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Sweet man, did u paint with a gun? Or aerosol? Came up real good! U can't beat boost lol
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Good progrees man. You'll love the turbo when the time comes Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] Sweet man, did u paint with a gun? Or aerosol? Came up real good! U can't beat boost lol I just used an aerosol can mixed up from autobahn. Pretty good match and quality paint aswell ---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 13:14 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Good progrees man. You'll love the turbo when the time comes Yeah man can't wait to see what it's like, I've only been in a few VL turbos so I'm pumped, I hope it all goes smoothly ---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 13:15 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] Thats hectic man will be good fun when its back on the road! Tempted to turbo mine so much lol. Yeh I hope man, you should do it! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Good work. Nothing cans can't fix haha. Painted most of my car with custom pressure packs. Can't tell the differance (Pilbara princess) Retail and error see how the paint goes after a few months before you get carried away Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Update!!! Probably the best update I've done in a while... So as of the 13th december 2013 I know own a VL TURBO!!! I initially had a dead line of 24th (christmas eve) and even from the very beginning I made an oath that it would not leave the garage without being turbo.. So a basic run down (note all work was done by myself, Im only a 3rd year apprentice mechanic). Months earlier I pulled the head off to inspect the overall health of the block and head in general. Everything looked good so that was a relief. The motor is pretty much stock besides a cometic head gasket and arp head studs. Everything else is all standard vlt parts besides a hi flow t3 So after 6 long months it was time for the first start up, I have to say I was pretty nervous.. turned the key, kicked over for a few seconds and nothing.. Primed the fuel pump a couple times... again nothing. Me and a mate of mine where scratching our heads? turns out because I did have the standard crossover pipe on it with the outlet for the iac valve hose it didn't want to idle or start.. So we made our own and it worked maddd. Fitted it up and bang! Started first go! I was more worried that the valves where going to smash the pistons lol but I guess I didn't have enough faith in my own abilities since I had to re-time the head and block haha Took it for its initial test drive checking coolant temp, oil level and overall quality of the car.. I have to say hearing that little T3 spool up for the first time put the biggest smile on my face. Its like a completely different car now and just picks up so well. Its running 7psi at the moment but in the new year I hope to fit up a nice cooler and get a proper 3" exhaust with a tune and see what it can do.. Ill defiantly be needing to upgrade to r33 box and proper clutch tho as the standard mf5 clutch doesn't really the taste of boost Anyway how about some pictures?? The cometic The head, dizzy and bottom end all timed up! New thermostat, top and bottom housings and alternator bracket, all the aeroflow stuff! Getting everything connected and Immaculate The T3 hi flow in its new spot with new studs and gaskets And the finished product pretty much Pretty happy with how it came out I also fitted up new pads, disks, calipers, and wheels bearings. All vl turbo spec Its first cruise out to Lapa with turbo! Anyway thats pretty much it for now, in the new year Id like to: - Detail the entire car - Get 4 new tyres - Get the exhaust fixed (it hangs a bit low) - Get a new box, clutch and diff -.- - Cooler and tune That is all.. thanks nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Looking nice man, nice clean bay as well.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Awesome work! That bay is looking super clean
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Mint og style setup youve done well!!!
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Looks nice. Did notice the Turbo badge is silver (Calais spec) as you probably know already... tryin to stay under the radar I have an x-over pipe if you need one on ebay atm. keep up the goods
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today5

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT