Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

VL Calais as a daily?

Started by ZS-0895 · 8 Aug 2013 · 34 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

BigM22Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by chief355 [View Post] Hey bud, have you read the quote attached by mus. I had a v8 as a daiily for nearly 15 yrs and in that time it went through starter motors, power steering racks / alternators / radiators and the usual leaking rear main / power steering rack / engine sump / gearbox sump. Modifying opens the doors to more problems as the car senses you have lots of money. Never owned a six till my recent purchase but found it had the same common leaking sumps etc. All the jap cars I have owned have clocked up much more ks and still have same starter / alternators from original purchase and are very reliable. At the end of the day it would be plain boring to own a VL that is reliable. Yeh and that quote from MUS comes from a post about a VL with an ls1 conversion running on e85.. Hardly stock And I don't know what kind of VLs you're buying/owning with problems like that, rb30s are renowned for their reliability, I havnt owned a VL for very long but I've seen and worked on plenty. The engines don't leak oil unless abused or unserviced, I've seen the odd power steering rack leak but as for alternators, starter motors etc I've never seen that as being a common problem. My not so immaculate example of a VL has 250,000 or so on the clock and it doesn't leak a drop Also, what did you expect from driving a car daily for 15 years? Name me another car that is trouble free for that long
0 likes
chief355Archived member
I had a BT1 V8 probably the reason it had all those issues lol. Trouble free = 1980 good old corolla. A mechanic once said to me if they made cars like this we would be out of business. Sold it for $50 and still see this thing driving around.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Ahh well the old Holden v8 can be a bit of a turd lol, especially the old carby 308 And yeh corollas are reliable, but that's all they've got going for them, not that that's necessarily a bad thing
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Correct maintance is the key,And not just an oil change for the engine,I change the power steer oil every 2 years as well as brake fluid,diff,trans,Anti freeze, lube the window regs,doors etc. Cheers Marty
0 likes
chief355Archived member
I did do regular maintance on my vl8 but this did not stop oil leaks and electrical issues. On the other hand my corolla had the same oil in it for 10 yrs with the occasional top up due to having over 300k and did not drip one drop of oil. Topped up radiator with water evey now and then and starts first go....legend
0 likes
ZS-0895Archived member
I have an sv21 camry atm, 400,000 + km still goes strong (apart from a timing belt and fuel pump) haha solid as .... but its time for a new car and ive always like VLs so think might have a crack at one haha Id be looking at n/a 6, from what ive read/heard, the RB30 seems like a pretty tough engine, im keen to get my hands on one haha Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
I've had ZERO problems since dropping an RB25 into my Calais. It's my daily drive, I quite often do 500km a week and I deffinately dont drive like a Nanna either. No more CAS or AFM problems. Ok I lied. I did have a problem. I had a cracked windscreen. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ZS-0895Archived member
Aw nice.. what power is she making? Id be looking at keeping the car a while so down the track id like to do something like that ---------- Post added 13-08-13 at 21:08 ---------- Thanks for all the feedback to guys Fantastic Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SteveArchived member
Dont know, havent had it on a dyno yet..
0 likes
ZS-0895Archived member
Aw well hope it goes well for you of you get it on one $3500, 250,000km too much? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
LUXJETArchived member
With reg roady and minimal rust that's a good price. Word of advice don't buy something that has been ****ed with. Stocker the better. An honest car with more Kms is better then a modded car with lower IMO
0 likes
SteffArchived member
My 2c.. if you do go a VL calais for a "daily" drive, dont go doing a turbo conversion as thats when problems begin to arise. As a daily you need something that will get you from A-B without failure.
0 likes
ZS-0895Archived member
Ah okay cool thanks for that, people have put some ridiculous prices on these things! No rust, no reg though, it's negotiable but yeah might go have a look and see what it's like anyway Yes very true! I figure if its looked after and is not too bad condition then it can't be too bad I mean a car that's 26 years old its not without problems.. But I'm keen so I'll give it a shot haha Yeah that's true, I'm looking at just a stock n/a 6, might save the turbo for another car haha unless I went stock turbo setup but that's a few years away anyway Thanks for all your input as well! Extremely helpful! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BoyracerArchived member
Get an excec for a hack, I wouldn't be leaving a Calais at the shopping mall car park, the scums drool over them.
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
I drove my Calais Turbo for 18 months as a daily with no problems except for a bad ignition coil. Luckily it was close to home and managed to get back with it misfiring. Before that I had a VL Berlina as my daily for just over 5 years had it towed twice once for a split radiator and once for a CAS. Also broke down on me once right at the top of my street (CAS again)
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 9 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today78

5,671 threads, 37,524 posts and 550 images saved from CT

16.6% of indexed threads saved