Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

towing, VL Commodore

Started by Mr Parts · 5 Nov 2012 · 23 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

FarroutArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistol [View Post] My two vl's have/had tow gear fitted, I've heard it fks the boot/rear end by stretching. Mine have/had all manner of braces in/around the boot. I didn't have any issues when towing, but the only one I've towed with, was a manual. I can second this regarding the boot/rear end stretching a bit. I've towed other cars on car trailers behind a n/a manual with the light duty tow bar. The car handled it fine but I found that there was some minor deformation of the panels that the tow bar bolted through.
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
just have to tow with common sense good trailer brakes are a must. manual would be allot better to be able to hold the lower gears stronger keeping the torque of the car in control. once you loose the pull down hill and the trailer takes control your ****ed.. my old man n i use to tow the noosacat with the old 80 series land cruiser. loaded it was 5 tonne vs 2.5 tonne of car. couldnt do no more than 65km/h was scary as **** and we towed it from nsw south coast to melb a few times..just gotta be patient
0 likes
vh sle rbArchived member
All in all guys, I think that if ya gunna do alot of towing why not buy yaself a cheap tow truck? Tandoms ain't cheap they normally go for 2.5 upwards, for an extra 2an a half ya can get a small tow truck with the option of extra work or money making on the side to pay for rego tyres an oil changes.
0 likes
87VLSLArchived member
The early Commodores were never renowned for being a heavy towing vehicle. from what you hear, the rear ends are not strong enough. The tow bar is only bolted on to the boot floor so all the strain is on the boot floor and rear quarters. The heavy duty bracing kit makes them a bit stronger. But not really for towing large heavy cars on car trailers. I think the only towing holden intended them to do, was the rubbish run to the tip, towing a single axle box trailer.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,494 threads, 75,357 posts and 923 images saved from CT

30.7% of indexed threads saved