Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Does anybody know much bout the 215i vs engines?

Started by IDAREU · 4 Nov 2012 · 51 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Ant_manArchived member
Yes mine has the blue injectors. Money , power / torque aiming for, daily or weekend toy etc is usually the deciding factor when working out what mods to do once got this figured you can go from there.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by IDAREU [View Post] Well the make a fair bit more pwr than the std 5L then. Most 5L make round the 150 mark from memory. Yeah it already has a exhaust and the std cold air. The plan will b to charge it in a few yrs just trying to get it up to scratch. All new rubbers underneath shocks springs ect.. I'm very fussy.lol so can anybody confirm the engine code for me? A standard VN-VS 5L makes 165kw at the fly so around 120-130 at the wheels at best in stock form. From memory my old 5L with headers, exhaust, 70mm tb and CAI made 150rwkw Also, FYI the VR-VS 215i is a 348ci, not a 355 like most people seem to think
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Yeah I read that on the net. I think it said they make 475nm of torque. As for performance it will be my daily. Sick of having a nice car and only driving it on the weekends n always worried bout the cops. So I think a charger will be the way to go. Mean time I'm going to clean it up n replace everything underneath. Cheers for the advice fellas!
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Do the diff gears asap, you'll be surprised at what a massive difference it makes
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
will do 3.7s sound like the way to go.
0 likes
SHIZNTArchived member
Remember changing the diff gears will also put your speedo out. I wondered why all the cars used to go faster than me on the freeway when I had my Senator.
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
If it is auto, 3.9s, if manual, 3.7s
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mulkers [View Post] If it is auto, 3.9s, if manual, 3.7s U mean 3.9 manual, 3.7 auto. Jaycar Speedo Corrector kit fixes speedo issue.
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Wats the speedo kit worth? Mines auto.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
$50
0 likes
H.AsaadArchived member
The engine itself is like any other 308/304, it just has more cubes. I'd just do a head and cam with a C.O.M.E racing twin throat manifold. The standard manifold is probably the biggest restriction in that engine, you'll be lucky to make any more than 230rwkw aspirated with that stock manifold. The VN group A manifolds are also nice but I could never justify the price tag. If your planning on diving deeper into the engine I'd build it strong so it can handle boost. Or go LS3...
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by H.Asaad [View Post] The engine itself is like any other 308/304, it just has more cubes. I'd just do a head and cam with a C.O.M.E racing twin throat manifold. The standard manifold is probably the biggest restriction in that engine, you'll be lucky to make any more than 230rwkw aspirated with that stock manifold. The VN group A manifolds are also nice but I could never justify the price tag. If your planning on diving deeper into the engine I'd build it strong so it can handle boost. Or go LS3... Head work, cam and COME ttb... what you're recommending is $8-10k? drive in drive out and would probably only make 220-230rwkw. And yes a $20k LS3 conversion would nice for a VS daily, but realistically is it a good option?? Compare those options with a second hand Vortech V1/2 kit, injectors, pump & tune for around $5k all up and somewhere around the 250-270rwkw (depending on boost)
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Far cheaper to drive in reverse then use a come manifold. They are rubbish unless your using some sort of forced induction. Torque power dual plane is perfect for these motors. No point doing head and cam either. They need COMPRESSION. So it's rebuild time pretty much. After spending big on my 304 and knowing what I know if I was to do it again id go turbo or whipple.
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
I want to keep the engine in it. It's holdens last 350 from my understanding. So I will be pulling it out at some stage give it a freshen up then bolting a charger on it. I have been speaking to a auto builder. Plan on putting a tuff turbo 400 in it 3k stall(keeping the original shifter) and do the diff at the same stage with 3.7s. This way it can be my daily and a decent weekender. Engine want be getting a freshen up for a while. Will most probably bolt the charger on 1st.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
If 3 speed is what you want I'd go Trimaric or th350 before a 400. Less parasitic loss
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
3 speed daily driver? Fark that, this isn't the fifties
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Well that's what I was recommended so it will take a punishment and be reliable. I love manual but considering the car is factory auto it will b staying auto. As for the amount of power the 400 will suck apparently its a old myth.
0 likes
cava454Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by IDAREU [View Post] Well that's what I was recommended so it will take a punishment and be reliable. I love manual but considering the car is factory auto it will b staying auto. As for the amount of power the 400 will suck apparently its a old myth. T56 would be better for a daily. Get tires of a 3 speed real quick. Not a myth. Fact they are alot heavier then the th350 an even more again over the trimatic
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Well would I be better building a 700? I hear nothing bout bad **** bout them. Might have a chat to my mechanic and see what he thinks is best for me.
0 likes
InjectionArchived member
Check out street commodores and the vr/vs section. A dude there is building 454 lsx for his senator and built the box himself. Great rear about what was done to toughen the box up.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

9,035 threads, 62,551 posts and 789 images saved from CT

26.4% of indexed threads saved