Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

surge tanks

Started by VLWAGONIT · 30 Oct 2012 · 31 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

ROB2019Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by -pumba- [View Post] i just replaced it with a new one. is doing me fine. with 1 044 from the surge tank. on e85 pushing around 300rwkw Ok sweet nice power. Going by the pic of the jd surge tank it's running 3 pumps assuming the intank is still in place .
0 likes
DENTEDArchived member
I'll have to see if I have any picks otherwise ill take some this weekend. I use my standard lift pump before and 2 Bosch 944 pumps after.
0 likes
ROB2019Archived member
MY wagons surge tank done by MR enforcer , a while ago still not on the road not the best pic but can see it . Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
RedStarFabArchived member
Here is a photo of where my surge tank sits and some of the welds ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352576675.301866.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57225&d=1352576678) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352576460.846144.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57223&d=1352576464) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352576472.556671.jpg (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=57224&d=1352576476) www.facebook.com/redstarfabrications (http://www.facebook.com/redstarfabrications)
0 likes
PROMASTERArchived member
In my experience round made surge tanks are your best option reason being when there made square or rectangular it will build side wall pressures and will have a better chance of leakage at the welds. I'm also going to try Out the new sonic intank pumps a friend recommended to me shortly,they flow Heaps more and a suitable for ethanol based fuels in particular.
0 likes
RedStarFabArchived member
All comes down to the fabricator and welder. I just finished doing some xr6 surge tanks and pressure tested to 80psi with no problems at all and the were made from sheet aluminium. Something else I have also started doing, since getting my own sheet metal folder, is to have less weld and more folds, adding to the overall strength. www.facebook.com/redstarfabrications (http://www.facebook.com/redstarfabrications)
0 likes
jbonezArchived member
A properly plumbed fuel system shouldn't allow the surge tank to build up much pressure even with a high flow pump
0 likes
*LOACH*Archived member
There should be a return line from the top of the surge tank back to the main tank. So any excess fuel goes straight back to the main tank and therefore the surge tank should always be at the same pressure as the main tank. The main tank itself should be vented to the outside to allow for temperature changes and the fact fuel is being sucked out of the tank. I am not sure how VL fuel tanks are vented though. Is it in the fuel cap?
0 likes
jbonezArchived member
Its in the fuel filler tube also one of the vents runs to the carbon canistor if fitted
0 likes
*LOACH*Archived member
Cool, thanks mate.
0 likes
MASO.VLArchived member
these look the part !! .. how much was that setup if you dont mind me asking, and who did the work ??
0 likes
IDAREUArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeti [View Post] Did he offer to replace it / fix it? Did you leave negative feedback so other users were aware? Yeah I called him the 1st time n he said to drop it off. But I lived in Kilsyth so wasn't worth the dr specially when I worked at a metal fab shop. So fixed it myself. But when it broke the second time I threw it in the bin.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

8,978 threads, 62,092 posts and 788 images saved from CT

26.2% of indexed threads saved