Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

How to install VN-VS long range fuel tank to VL.

Started by TUXEDO · 24 June 2012 · 39 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TUXEDOArchived member
The VN sender is the same as the VL. They are mounted at the same height from the bottom of the tank.
0 likes
<NICK>Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] The VN sender is the same as the VL. They are mounted at the same height from the bottom of the tank. im about to put a long range tank into my vlt , i also was under the assumption you had to use the VN sender , but my tank didnt come with one , so i was hoping to use the VL one , so to clarrify i can use the VL one? they all bolt up the same? saves me alot of hastles buying a vn one from somewhere
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Yeah, VL and VN V8 senders are the same. There won't be any issues there.
0 likes
<NICK>Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] Yeah, VL and VN V8 senders are the same. There won't be any issues there. legend ! tought the depth of the tank might be the reason why they would be differnent sizes
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Nah, the senders are mounted at the same height from the bottom of the tank, so the top half of the tank lasts forever lol
0 likes
hillerusArchived member
Just wondering what pump you used? Just the one internally, or both the internal and external? I've got a VQ tank to go into my VL (I'm planning on supercharging it), was looking to use one high pressure pump. Would I be best off going for one internally, or an external one? Do these tanks NEED two pumps, or is one internal high pressure pump fine?
0 likes
kims88VLTArchived member
Buying a VL 90L long range tank. It doesn't have a sender so the plan (if it will work) is to use my standard sender... Will this work?? Thanks
0 likes
kims88VLTArchived member
Bump can anyone help?
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
use a vn sender as it has the same plug for the fuel pump. but remember to use the low pressure vl intank pump
0 likes
kims88VLTArchived member
So standard vl sender won't work? But a standard vn one will? Or a 5L vn one?
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
you need the 5ltr sender as it suits the size tank. and just use the vl low pressure pump
0 likes
-pumba-Archived member
the size of the tank has nothing to do with the sender working, the sender is mounted in the same spot on all tanks and its actually the top half of the tank that is bigger. the only difference is some are 6 bolt and some a 5 bolt pattern, also the return goes into the tank on some and into the sender on others.
0 likes
kims88VLTArchived member
My current standard sender has return on the tank but my new tank doesn't. What do I do there?
0 likes
-pumba-Archived member
look at the first page pictures
0 likes
kims88VLTArchived member
Ok so my standard filler neck doesn't have any of the breather lines. Do I just leave it? Or should I replace them?
0 likes
jetgm6Archived member
anyone know where i can get a sender to suit the vl? bought a vs long range tank with no sender. Will a VS sender work on a VL or is wiring different? I found a wrecker with a VS sender that he can post me.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
VS sender has different plug..
0 likes
jetgm6Archived member
So I have to go VL or VN?
0 likes
hazy4299Archived member
Hi, I just puchased my first VL and was hoping I could get some further assistance on this install please. I am having difficulty reviewing these pics? Cheers Dwayne. Quote: Originally Posted by TUXEDO [View Post] I have done a couple of these conversions now and with people frequently asking how it's done, I though I would make a tech thread. Which tank? You can use any tank from VN to VS. Ideally, You want to find yourself a VN V8 tank as they are the biggest (90L) and all have straps to suit live axle. With IRS vehicles, the tank capacity is ~80L and the LH strap is different at one end as can be seen below. IRS on the left, live axle on the right. My latest install, I used an ~80L tank from a VQ Statesman. So I had to modify the LH strap to fit the VL. I did some measurements then cut and shut the end of the original VL strap on to the VQ strap. The filler neck. I have never actually measured the 2nd gen filler neck, just always assumed its longer so I just cut the neck of the VL tank. While its out, I replaced all the breather hoses. Here is a photo of the diagram in the Holden factory workshop manual. Also the main over flow / breather is a lot larger on the 2nd gen tank. So I have pushed a short length of 15mm hose on to the tank, then pushed a length of smaller ~10mm hose inside that and up to the filler neck. (will post pics later) Return hose. Both tanks I have done, have had the return hose to the swirl pot broken off inside the tank. No this is pretty much impossible to fix without cutting the tank open. So I have modified the sender unit to house a return hose directly in to the swirl pot. I forgot to take pics before I did this but I cut the end off this short pipe which is normally crimped at the end. It's a little short so I put some Loc-Tite super glue on it for a bit of added strength to hold the hose on. Then on the other side, I cut a small section of pipe off, clamped a length of hose to it then ran it along the pump bracket and zip tied it in to place. As you can see here, I fitted a new lift pump for peace of mind and I used the original VL sender unit although in most cases, the senders are the same. Other than these few things, it's all pretty straight foreward; remove and replace. I recommend replacing all you old fuel hoses and clamps at the same time. I spent a fair bit of time and money prepping and painting my tank asteroid silver and this was the result. I wrote this article on my iPhone so I'll edit and add to it when I get on my PC lol. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
l67calaisArchived member
i havent checked yet, but i assume the sedan and wagons tanks are different. are the v8 wagon tanks 80l.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today110

11,914 threads, 91,007 posts and 1,227 images saved from CT

34.8% of indexed threads saved