Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
12-06-12, 00:13 GMT+10#21 I use rb 25 head studs in mine too, seems to work ok. Its nothing flash.
Wait, second hand ones too, I did however splash out on a new head gasket, but only cause the old one was busted.
0 likes
12-06-12, 01:04 GMT+10#22 I'm guessing you run a cometic head gasket ???
0 likes
12-06-12, 08:58 GMT+10#23 Yeah using a cometic headgaskets
---------- Post added 12-06-12 at 07:31 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh sle rb
sorry thats honda vvt i mean variable cam timing apparently you need to drill an tap in an external oil line for it when you do the 30/25 30/26 swap unless you use the non vct head but i think that only some of the 25,s came out with non vct im not 100% though as i havent actually done these swaps
Yeah rb25det has the variable valve timing, I've never seen a rb26 head with vvt but not saying they never have! Heads of an r32 gtr!
Most I'm chasing out of this engine is around 280-300, I've only got small injectors xr6 which are I believe 460cc which will hold the rest of the setup back, and save the trans!
0 likes
12-06-12, 09:47 GMT+10#24 There's no reason to buy a new head gasket as they are reusable and dnt have a life span do they ??? I've reused mine 2 times now
0 likes
12-06-12, 10:13 GMT+10#25 Exactly! So many people carry on about it! If u do the work your self cost you nothing I guess a shop won't as they are charging your a **** load to do the work and don't want a chance of it failing!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
12-06-12, 10:44 GMT+10#26 Quote:
Originally Posted by poohkies
[View Post]
Wow so many questions!
Do u understand what Slappa means? Any1 here understand?
Head bolts are rb25det headbolts 2nd hand!
So that should stop the head walking around
I'm not chasing massive numbers! Just want it to run and do a skid! And push it till it has problems fix them and push it some more!
Vvti ??? Its and rb26 head doesn't have vvti! Tapping the extra pully this week when the belt arrives
boss
the level of ghetto is awesome
0 likes
12-06-12, 22:23 GMT+10#27 That's the whole reason for buying arp head studs and a cometic
Gasket I've found on my hicomp instead of
Blowing head gaskets the cometic and studs just
Shift the problem to bottom ends now lol Also what type of fuel will
U be running 98 and do you know when u will start making
Boost compared to running the rb30 head ??? Would be good
To see how much difference 2 cams make
0 likes
12-06-12, 22:29 GMT+10#28 RB30 A6 block with twin cam head its no longer "high comp" also.
0 likes
13-06-12, 12:02 GMT+10#29 Rb25vlt8, If u are blowing headgaskets and bottom ends id also start looking at a different tuner! Have used totally standard rb30na unopened and shaved 19psi with a 35/40 up its arse and havnt had a problem!
I'm actually running a totally different stall and turbo combo! Before with the 35 .82 and 3500 rpm stall made 16-18psi by 3500 (what ever the boost was set to)
I've got a lower stall 3200 so I'm hoping it will make 10 psi around the 3500 mark with the t04z with .84 rear housing The 26 has standard cams also.
Am going to use the 152 tooth belt as I'm going to mount the 2nd pulley above the water pump!
---------- Post added 13-06-12 at 10:40 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh sle rb
you wiring the ecu in your self mate if so can you post some pics with a write up on what wire goes where? got any updates how is she coming along?
I'll be running the same ecu as before wolf3d v4 I've only got to run 2 additional wires from the ecu and use the original ignition wire to the ignitor box for the coils, and re wire the crank angle sensor to the cam angle sensor plug! Everything else is the same
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
13-06-12, 14:53 GMT+10#30 yeah the na engine will do 500rwhp no probs if it's in good nick and isn't detonating. NT heat and pump gas will be the restrictions on this combo.
0 likes
13-06-12, 17:20 GMT+10#31 I assume that this thread being in the turbo section, that the engine is going to be turbocharged.
If the engine has high km on it, you can make any bet it's gonna need a rebore, I'd be going for 0.020" oversized RB26 aftermarket pistons which gives a relatively high compression ratio for a turbo engine) of 8.5:1, that's assuming you are going to use the RB26 head.
If using the RB25 head, go for 0.020" oversized RB25 aftermarket pistons to keep that compression ratio, you could use oversized RB30E pistons which will drop the compression ratio down to 8.3:1 using the RB25 head but this is just my thought , that you may as well fit turbo pistons while the engine is apart.
I spoke about this in another thread, but my plan was to use RB26 turbo pistons with the RB25 head to achieve a compression ratio of around 9.8:1 in N/A form because the RB25 combustion chamber is about 6 cc's smaller than the RB26's therefore you get a higher compression ratio.
Another approach which is more challenging would be to fit a Holden engine back into the VL, I'm talking about the 190 kw 3.6 litre with a 6 speed manual, providing I could get a good one without any timing chain issues, someone has done this on another site to a VL Calais sedan.
0 likes
13-06-12, 17:29 GMT+10#32 ^ It's awesome how random you are
0 likes
13-06-12, 20:49 GMT+10#33 Quote:
Originally Posted by RB30DEVL
[View Post]
If the engine has high km on it, you can make any bet it's gonna need a rebore, I'd be going for 0.020" oversized RB26 aftermarket pistons which gives a relatively high compression ratio for a turbo engine) of 8.5:1, that's assuming you are going to use the RB26 head.
Another approach which is more challenging would be to fit a Holden engine back into the VL, I'm talking about the 190 kw 3.6 litre with a 6 speed manual, providing I could get a good one without any timing chain issues, someone has done this on another site to a VL Calais sedan.
If it ain't broke, why would you fix it.
and secondly.. just because it's challenging doesn't mean anyone in their right mind should do the above swap, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would spend good money doing it.. it'd be different.. sure.. but then again.. so would castrating yourself with a plastic McDonalds knife, and I don't see people thinking that would be a good idea.
0 likes
13-06-12, 23:38 GMT+10#34 thanks morgs,
i'm thinking people still arn't getting what i'm trying to do, but anyways
issues at the moment is locating a timing belt, that's a bit of a downer but that's only one issue,
Other issue i've hopefully resolved is the igntion side and spark, seems that my trusty wolf 3d V4 can only run wasted spark, and the standard nissan ignition modual isn't designed to run wasted spark and more than likely will result in it failing, I've got another option which we will be doing which is to run a bosch ignitor modual that runs three coils, and using the coils form a vr commodore, i might be able to possibly daisy chain to of the spitfire coils i have but we arn't sure how this works, and will have to try and get a diagram for the standard coils and see if it's a negitive trigger on them, i believe they are 3 wire, and it's positive negative and trigger, if anyone with Wolf experience and has had the pleasure of using a rb twin cam head and wired up the wasted spark id be very interested in there thoughts.
Regards
0 likes
14-06-12, 05:41 GMT+10#35 Found this on Sau the guy failed at it but he was using a factory ecu but since ur wolf will only run wasted spark shoul be ok he used vs coils There is heaps of info on Sau about it as well
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...wasted%20spark (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/357337-wasted-spark-fail/page__hl__wasted%20spark)
Found a better one gives you a bit of an idea
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for..._fromsearch__1 (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/115690-wasted-spark-ingnition/page__fromsearch__1)
0 likes
14-06-12, 08:45 GMT+10#36 Thanks for that! That's great!
---------- Post added 14-06-12 at 09:14 ----------
Come up with another option to run the coils in wasted spark, going to use 3 ignition modules from the standard VL distributor and then daisy chain each ignition module to 2 spitfire coils! People's thoughts?
0 likes
14-06-12, 10:45 GMT+10#37 Yeah mate I'm still running standard turbo ecu I do have a microtech to run it just need to get around to installing it so it sounds like
You have nearly finished it ???
0 likes
14-06-12, 11:04 GMT+10#38 Quote:
Originally Posted by poohkies
[View Post]
thanks morgs,
i'm thinking people still arn't getting what i'm trying to do, but anyways
issues at the moment is locating a timing belt, that's a bit of a downer but that's only one issue,
Other issue i've hopefully resolved is the igntion side and spark, seems that my trusty wolf 3d V4 can only run wasted spark, and the standard nissan ignition modual isn't designed to run wasted spark and more than likely will result in it failing, I've got another option which we will be doing which is to run a bosch ignitor modual that runs three coils, and using the coils form a vr commodore, i might be able to possibly daisy chain to of the spitfire coils i have but we arn't sure how this works, and will have to try and get a diagram for the standard coils and see if it's a negitive trigger on them, i believe they are 3 wire, and it's positive negative and trigger, if anyone with Wolf experience and has had the pleasure of using a rb twin cam head and wired up the wasted spark id be very interested in there thoughts.
Regards
i see exactly what your trying to do, your awesome haha
no reason why you couldn't run wasted spark assuming the ecu has 3 ignition outputs
0 likes
14-06-12, 11:12 GMT+10#39 Quote:
Originally Posted by RB30DEVL
[View Post]
I assume that this thread being in the turbo section, that the engine is going to be turbocharged.
If the engine has high km on it, you can make any bet it's gonna need a rebore, I'd be going for 0.020" oversized RB26 aftermarket pistons which gives a relatively high compression ratio for a turbo engine) of 8.5:1, that's assuming you are going to use the RB26 head.
If using the RB25 head, go for 0.020" oversized RB25 aftermarket pistons to keep that compression ratio, you could use oversized RB30E pistons which will drop the compression ratio down to 8.3:1 using the RB25 head but this is just my thought , that you may as well fit turbo pistons while the engine is apart.
I spoke about this in another thread, but my plan was to use RB26 turbo pistons with the RB25 head to achieve a compression ratio of around 9.8:1 in N/A form because the RB25 combustion chamber is about 6 cc's smaller than the RB26's therefore you get a higher compression ratio.
Another approach which is more challenging would be to fit a Holden engine back into the VL, I'm talking about the 190 kw 3.6 litre with a 6 speed manual, providing I could get a good one without any timing chain issues, someone has done this on another site to a VL Calais sedan.
What does your boss think of this idea?
0 likes
14-06-12, 11:24 GMT+10#40 Wasted spark should work fine. Do the Falcon coils have an inbuilt igniter or are they the same as the V6 Commodore?
LS1/2 coils may be another option. You can split the ign output from the ecu and run them as a wasted spark set up.
You can just run leads from the coils straight to the plugs and do away with the Splitfires
0 likes