Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

VL Concept Car - Updating to 2010 Technology

Started by EvilPet · 26 Oct 2010 · 285 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

SteveArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 5spdvl [View Post] What are using to create you speedo signal? Skyline electronic speedo sender maybe? could somehow get it from the cruise control unit maybe?
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by malpaso [View Post] im liking this man, but regarding the dash, have you taken into consideration you might be going quicker than 200kmh? Yes - Digital speed is valid up to 255km/h If you remember that issue of wheels, they recorded 247km/h (off the clock and speedo needle up against the trip meter rod.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Is the speed indicator thing your talking about the one you set at a speed and when you hit that speed a little red light comes on and makes a noise? Like in the VS Commodores and that?
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Steve [View Post] could somehow get it from the cruise control unit maybe? The analogue speedo does convert it into an electronic signal for the CC ECU, but it only communicates via one wire. So it's measure is based upon voltage being supplied (ie: higher voltage = higher speedo reading, etc). You'd need to record what is going through it at varying speeds and go from there.
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Woggster [View Post] Is the speed indicator thing your talking about the one you set at a speed and when you hit that speed a little red light comes on and makes a noise? Like in the VS Commodores and that? Yup - exactly. Do you have a picture of one? First I ever saw one was in a VN. Still asking around forums for anyone to write the program for this. ---------- Post added 03-11-10 at 13:26 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by 5spdvl [View Post] The analogue speedo does convert it into an electronic signal for the CC ECU, but it only communicates via one wire. So it's measure is based upon voltage being supplied (ie: higher voltage = higher speedo reading, etc). You'd need to record what is going through it at varying speeds and go from there. Here's a basic schematic; ---------- Post added 03-11-10 at 14:13 ---------- The schematic is just for a digital speedometer. I'm going to make things a bit harder and see whether it can be achieved. I figure I'll need 3 buttons; 1 - Mode 2 - Speed set Up 3 - Speed set down The first switch / button selects between three display modes: (1) the alarm speed value to be set; (2) the actual vehicle speed (ie, the unit functions as a digital speedometer and you see the speed in real time); and (3) the alarm off mode. Each press of the switch cycles the unit to the next operating mode. I'm pretty sure this is how it functions on the device from VN onwards. Now to talk to more people regarding the software / progamming of the unit. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Here's a VS interior pic. The speed alert/warning is the square shaped box next to the air vents. Sorry about the pic, i wouldve taken one close up of my interior but my camera isnt working There is a set button and if you hold the 2 arrows down at the same time it will turn the speed alert function off. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Haha, I think you're the most qualified person here to talk about programming after seeing that circuit diagram! Why not reverse engineer an existing unit (VN-VS)? Where is the speed input?
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 5spdvl [View Post] Haha, I think you're the most qualified person here to talk about programming after seeing that circuit diagram! Why not reverse engineer an existing unit (VN-VS)? Where is the speed input? I did have help drawing that out. I really have to thank some of the guys on the Fiero forum. Now my brother is on board helping me out (who coincidentally is an electrician) and built quite a few kit cars in his time. It's the programming stuff that is a bit of an issue so from what I now want to do with speed alert have to figure out how it will work with a modified schematic for speed input. This will be cool if it all works out. I'm currently in London until December. I'm going to see whether I can pull something local apart to see how it works but hoping the answer is provided by someone on a forum. My biggest challenge is breaking up the VL digital clock to allow the room I need and relocate the rods to where the controls for the speed alert would be. So going to design a front plate that looks the part. Has anyone ever pulled apart the clock before? BTW: Thanks for the pic Woggster. It's similar to how I remember it. So to over view what now needs to be done for this mod. - determine the requirements for a speed alert and amend schematic / purchase required bits - get the ADDITIONAL program for a speed alert and add to the PIC microcontroller - a forum member is sending me a "donor" back end of a dash for me to play with and position the LEDs - a mate of mine in Perth is filling in the 2 rod holes for the clear fascia the seeing whether his mate can do a one off injection / vacuum form hole-less fascia (or if it's too expensive to do, send it on to me in London and I'll have a go here) - obtain and pull apart a "donor" clock and split the LED from the rod controls and make a bezel for it to fit into the "donor" back end of the dash. - Make up a 2 window centre panel in the dash for clock and digital speedo (this will be easy once everything is in position). - Get a printer / sign-writer to copy the existing pattern then make a design with 2 windows and a km/h under the second window - Make a faceplate for the controls Besides that I'm busy with the other modifications I've proposed. However I think this will be the "jewel" of the changes given I do not think anyone has attempted it before. ---------- Post added 04-11-10 at 12:35 ---------- A few of you may have seen the question I've posted in another thread regarding the space between the "Low Coolant" and "Low Fuel" lights. If it turns out that there is an empty cavity there, this conversion will be so much easier. So from my list above; - determine the requirements for a speed alert and amend schematic / purchase required bits - get the ADDITIONAL program for a speed alert and add to the PIC microcontroller - a forum member is sending me a "donor" back end of a dash for me to play with and position the LEDs - Make up a 2 window centre panel in the dash for clock and digital speedo (this will be easy once everything is in position). - Get a printer / sign-writer to copy the existing pattern then make a design with 2 windows and a km/h under the second window - Make a faceplate for the controls This can now be easily produced as a kit with a replacement centre plate, LED for the cavity and controls to be installed on the dash and you'll have a digital speedo installed within 30mins. No butchering of the clock and not reproduction of a vacuum formed clear plastic fascia. But someone needs to confirm that cavity between the two warning lights. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
oil pressure? i know there is an oil pressure sensor there which was only on the calais (and probably other upmarket models) as when mine went i needed to find an oil pressure sensor not a sender. its a tad more complicated than the basic system.... oh wait hold on. i think thats because there is a low pressure or low level sensor for the stockers and for the vl's with the oil pressure gauge it has to be a little more complex. someone with a owners guide in front of them might be able to help? i am in london aswell and deary me, forgot to pack my owners manual.
0 likes
RB2GOArchived member
Not sure if you know man but those VR - VS speed alert things, there is a way you can make them display your exact speed on the digital screen, could be helpful if you could utilise the circuit or however if works. I think you have to start the car while holding down the two buttons or something like that
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by RB2GO [View Post] Not sure if you know man but those VR - VS speed alert things, there is a way you can make them display your exact speed on the digital screen, could be helpful if you could utilise the circuit or however if works. I think you have to start the car while holding down the two buttons or something like that - I now have the combined Speed Alert and Digital Speedo (real time) program. I now have to wait until December when I'm back to check whether this all works. In the mean time I've figured out where the MODE / UP / DOWN buttons of the speed alert will be located. I bought some green LEDs and will make some clear O-rings around the small buttons. Well, get a buddy to do that.... All I'll do then is get a sign-writer to copy the design from the cruise control fonts and make a nice matt black decal over them with the text.
0 likes
INFLYTmelbArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by EvilPet [View Post] - I now have the combined Speed Alert and Digital Speedo (real time) program. I now have to wait until December when I'm back to check whether this all works. In the mean time I've figured out where the MODE / UP / DOWN buttons of the speed alert will be located. I bought some green LEDs and will make some clear O-rings around the small buttons. Well, get a buddy to do that.... All I'll do then is get a sign-writer to copy the design from the cruise control fonts and make a nice matt black decal over them with the text. I can help with the design, but we're based in melbourne. let me know
0 likes
COLEYZArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by RB2GO [View Post] Not sure if you know man but those VR - VS speed alert things, there is a way you can make them display your exact speed on the digital screen, could be helpful if you could utilise the circuit or however if works. I think you have to start the car while holding down the two buttons or something like that RB2GO u r right. if u hold the up and down button while turning the car on the speed alert turns to what is called police mode! the red light stays flashing n it displays real time speed! (digital speedo)
0 likes
SELO XST 045Archived member
no **** awsome. keep this up, and everyone will end up wanting somthing els to put in there vls's somthing diffarent is always good in a way keep up the good work, more pics Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SELO XST 045 [View Post] no **** awsome. keep this up, and everyone will end up wanting somthing els to put in there vls's somthing diffarent is always good in a way keep up the good work, more pics You asked for it.... (thanks to wogpsi for the two pics above) 1st cavity = 22mm x 12mm 2nd = 22mm x 12mm 3rd = 22mm x 20mm Need to move the first shelf up 1-2mm and the second shelf down 1-2mm and voila! a very nice fit for 10.2mm White LED Digits - I have to cannibalise a clock to get the green filter. I was going to get the GREEN DIGIT LEDs but thought I'll try and stay as true as to the VL dash design and look as I can. The green LED would have not matched the clock LED. Looking around on the net where I can get sheets of the green filters. A hole needs to be cut in the cover plate slightly bigger than the window for the clock. Then the window bordered by either WHITE or RED or even GREY like the clock (see the window for the clock) ---------- Post added 09-11-10 at 00:41 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by INFLYTmelb [View Post] I can help with the design, but we're based in melbourne. let me know Ok - I'll keep that in mind. Basically I want a decal that will fit over the 3 buttons (ie. so 3 holes professionally / perfectly cut) then just like the cruise control have a white border. Then some text in the same font as the cruise control next to each button. By the way, I'm using this plate (where my alarm light and big button is) for the speed alert / control buttons. I'm currently looking for an "unmolested" plate. ---------- Post added 09-11-10 at 00:43 ---------- Just received the PIC microchip. now have to program it with the source code I have for both the digital speedometer and speed alert. ---------- Post added 09-11-10 at 17:52 ---------- Ok - I woke up this morning and had and idea. I'm going to use the Cruise Control faceplate / buttons for; - MODE (the Orange Cruise Control On/Off Switch) - UP + (Current grey one) - DOWN - (Current grey one) I have to finds an effecive way to erase "ON/OFF" / "CRUISE CONTROL" / "RESUME" / "RESET" - Ideas? Metho Then get a sign-writer to make up new stick on decals; "MODE" - Centred in the first box " SPEED ALERT " (Centred on two lines) SPEED + (in the middle box) SPEED - (in the bottom box) QUESTION: Are the current controls backlit? Does anyone have a picture of the whole unit lit at night? The "trade-off" might be the backlighting if I stick a decal over it. BUT You'd probably agree, this is the best way to represent the buttons that doesn't look out of place. NOW - To pull one apart and see whether I can cannibalise the faceplate and buttons. Can anyone help? I have posted elsewhere - looking for a broken / cheap donor unit. UPDATE: Now that I know the length / dimensions of the cavity between the low coolant and low fuel lights, the issue is finding a seven segment LED 3 digit component to fit in there. The other one I outlined earlier in this thread will not do the job as it's too big. Rang up a few companies in China today that make seven segment LEDs and whether they have a standard one that would fit. I'm thinking if I place an order for 50 (minimum I can order), that should be enough to do my prototype and start making kits for this conversion. Now the big question - does the VL clock have a white segment with a green filter or a green LED segment with a green filter? Anyone know the answer? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SELO XST 045Archived member
heaps of thinking involved ..:P nice..
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SELO XST 045 [View Post] heaps of thinking involved ..:P nice.. Just want to do this properly hence a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure how i'm going to do this and who can assist especially when it's time to rip out the instrument cluster (as I don't know how to do it) for a couple of days whilst it's modifed.
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Time for an Update Almost finalised my design and the digital speedo cover plate and this is just about to be lasercut. However, I would like some help in making sure the measurements are exact. If anyone would like to assist I would appreciate it. I can send the measurements and if you can confirm them for me that would be great. So design may change slightly if the measurements are currently out. I've programmed the digital speedo / speed alert chip with the sourcecode and I think this is ready to go. As mentioned previously, I decided to cannibalise a cruise control switch and use that for the speed alert buttons which will be located opposite to where the cruise control sits now. So both sides will look the same. I bought a bunch of switches from around the globe (actually more than a bunch - I've obsessed about this to make sure it looks right) and talked to a few companies in China about some custom switches but I reckon the cruise control switch still will look like it belongs there - just have to get the current lettering replaced. Lucky my current cruise control unit has had the knob so I don't mind pulling it part for the fascia. I got the same green cellophane that is used for the clock and got some three digit, seven segment LEDs made up in China and I'm hoping I get a near match or exact match to the clock lumens and colour when all installed. Awaiting delivery of the samples and I should be able to start to fit this up mid December then install just before Christmas. There's only so much I can do here in the UK with the parts that I have. I'm really hoping fingers crossed this all comes together in a few weeks. My doors have been moulded for the Dynaudio speakers and these are being upholstered now with my precious roll of VL Group A velour and the door carpet I picked up recently in Melbourne and following the same HDT style pattern. BTW: The 6 inch speaker fits perfectly into the square hole in the door, almost like it was there for such a purpose. It all clears the central locking mechanism so am happy with the look and fit. The A-pillar pod for the boost gauge is being upholstered too. A bracket was placed for easy fitment as pictured. More updates soon on this and the TomTom being built /hidden into the dash-pad. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
INFLYTmelbArchived member
let us know if you need, help, no dramas
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by INFLYTmelb [View Post] let us know if you need, help, no dramas Many thanks for the offer. Would like some help in confirming the measurements. The clock cover piece as you know needs to be exact. If you're able to do this PM me your email and I'll send the re-drafted artwork tomorrow. I want to square this up by Friday but it's up to me / us to confirm all the measurements for the sign-off prior to laser cutting. Someone else is assisting with this but two eyes over this will ensure that this is precise.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today28

19,513 threads, 218,691 posts and 2,379 images saved from CT

57.0% of indexed threads saved