Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

New build with updates!

Started by melbv · 17 July 2016 · 124 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

FlexyArchived member
If your existing N/A bottom end is healthy there should be no need to build it for a reliable 250-300kw. Budget = ARP studs, decent cam and a good head gasket. Worst case flip it over and do bearings if you're concerned
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
As Flexy said, if your sticking to a budget I wouldn't bother pulling down the motor. Just do head studs and a MSLR gasket (whatever there called) and pray it doesn't **** up. Save the money on machining for your next motor. On a n/a motor with a hi-flow and no tuning (only mucking around with running mixed fuels such as C16/98 and playing with airflow meter still retaining VLT ECU) I ran 113mph in my car (manual). Drove it like that for around 1,000km's and then I had massive blow-by issues.
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
I find random trips to sprints for nuts/bolts and random gaskets End up costing a small fortune..no one every takes this into account. In a whole car build woudnt be suprised If it costs 2g by itself..lol Cheers Darren
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Jet R31 [View Post] I find random trips to sprints for nuts/bolts and random gaskets End up costing a small fortune..no one every takes this into account. In a whole car build woudnt be suprised If it costs 2g by itself..lol Cheers Darren Fittings and hose clamps also. I almost cry every time I go to buy some.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Flexy [View Post] If your existing N/A bottom end is healthy there should be no need to build it for a reliable 250-300kw. Budget = ARP studs, decent cam and a good head gasket. Worst case flip it over and do bearings if you're concerned That's a solid idea. Does motor need to come out to change bearings? Can be done on a hoist??
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] That's a solid idea. Does motor need to come out to change bearings? Can be done on a hoist?? Out of vehicle.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Out of vehicle. Thought could be done from the sump. All good, guess it's probably not worth it. If she blows I'll get an engine rebuild done.
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
It can be done, but its just as easy to pull the motor.
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
Im starting to think melby is a troll ha
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] Im starting to think melby is a troll ha Whatever puts you to sleep at night champ
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] Hey, yeah possibly. But I think I'll have enough money in the budget to rebuild the motor so exploring my options. Time will tell. Like I said spend ur coin on a good trans or fuel system n/a will piss the power in ur chasing
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] Like I said spend ur coin on a good trans or fuel system n/a will piss the power in ur chasing The car I bought already has an mx7 box with heavy duty clutch, rebuilt 3:9 gear 28 spline.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
29 spline what sort of diff is that Hahahahah lmfao ---------- Post added 11-08-16 at 21:56 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] The car I bought already has an mx7 box with heavy duty clutch, rebuilt 3:9 gear 29 spline. Mate I personally wouldn't do the motor but at the end of the day get all ur advice from here and do what u think is right and talk to ya tuner he won't bum steer ya either
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
I say this nicely. After all these years that this forum has existed, it's most likely been covered before (if you search). I also may be wrong.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] I say this nicely. After all these years that this forum has existed, it's most likely been covered before (if you search). I also may be wrong. Thanks for the comment. Yeah it has been covered extensively and most of the information is found all over the Internet. However I thought it would be good to put up a thread of a build front start to finish on a budget. It will be a recent thread not 5-10 years old and I'm sure it will help a tonne of people along the way including myself. It's a challenge I reckon because it's not as easy as I thought it would be and anyone that reads this once competed will have alllll the information, advice, ups and downs, difference of opinions all in one thread.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Read my build thread buddy I had a high comp on 25psi for a year Went through all the **** u speak of! Multiple setups and multiple breakdowns, start a build thread and let's see u do it! ---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 06:41 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] I say this nicely. After all these years that this forum has existed, it's most likely been covered before (if you search). I also may be wrong. U on the money!
0 likes
FlexyArchived member
Doing the head outside of the car is really easy too. Just replace as many gaskets/seals as you can while its out. Saves you loads of headache in the long run.
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] Thanks for the comment. Yeah it has been covered extensively and most of the information is found all over the Internet. However I thought it would be good to put up a thread of a build front start to finish on a budget. It will be a recent thread not 5-10 years old and I'm sure it will help a tonne of people along the way including myself. It's a challenge I reckon because it's not as easy as I thought it would be and anyone that reads this once competed will have alllll the information, advice, ups and downs, difference of opinions all in one thread. Great valid points. Happy Vl turboING Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calaist5 [View Post] Great valid points. Happy Vl turboING Cheers mate hope it goes to plan lol ---------- Post added 14-08-16 at 13:58 ---------- I found a 6 amp ice ignition setup pretty cheap, is it really required? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] Cheers mate hope it goes to plan lol ---------- Post added 14-08-16 at 13:58 ---------- I found a 6 amp ice ignition setup pretty cheap, is it really required? its definitely not essential for 300kw , id probly focus on the big ticket items like turbo , manifold ,exhaust , intercooler set up and your fuel system. then once its all together you can be driving around while you save up for other parts like that to put on and make it more reliable later on. little things like that that arent needed blow the cost way out before you are even started SHOW US SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 16 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today18

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 79 images saved from CT