Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Tuxedo Black SL Turbo Restoration

Started by VLTWhite1 · 11 Mar 2015 · 86 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

BigM22Archived member
The amount of foam Holden used is astonishing! Rare spares is kind of hit and miss, real handy for various plastic clips that are bound to break when they're nearly 30 years old
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Craig, I love you
0 likes
ido09sArchived member
the attention to detail on this car is crazy. Well done. Will be sure to check back on this build
0 likes
VL_NickArchived member
What did you use to get the old sealant for the plastic from the inside of the doors off? Mechanical or chemical? I need to do this with mine soon.
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by deanoVLCT [View Post] Craig, I love you Awww, shucks. ---------- Post added 04-05-15 at 17:37 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by VL_Nick [View Post] What did you use to get the old sealant for the plastic from the inside of the doors off? Mechanical or chemical? I need to do this with mine soon. Bit of both. I scraped most of it off with a wooden scraper (like those flat ended wooden kebab sticks you get in the supermarket) then used Orange Power goo remover. It was the only cleaner I found that worked on that stuff. Then washed it down with soapy water and polished. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
UND_CVRArchived member
Amazing effort and quality work Just to depress me about the state of mine Do u have any engine bay shots
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Omg ur getting me hard!
0 likes
mulbzArchived member
I have no words. Absolutely outstanding!
0 likes
XCHASEArchived member
Great work. Ill be checking back on this again soon. Keep it up
0 likes
MUSArchived member
This build is amazing, and the thread is very educational. Can you post what stuff you have used in your posts? Loll. Like what foam and etc?.. Thanks
0 likes
EX 5-0 VLArchived member
Amazing work. It's great to see that such a rare VL is being rebuilt to such high standards. That VL deserves a owner like you, I'd be devestated if someone cut it up, modded the hell out of it. In all my years of playing with VLs I've never seen a factory tuxedo black sl. Keep up the great work!
0 likes
Brett 86Archived member
Killer thread! Keep up the good work.
0 likes
SteffArchived member
Craig! More up dates buddy! Check this thread daily hoping for another pic.
0 likes
UND_CVRArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by steff [View Post] craig! More up dates buddy! Check this thread daily hoping for another pic. +1......
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by UND_CVR [View Post] Amazing effort and quality work Just to depress me about the state of mine Do u have any engine bay shots Engine bay hasn't really been touched yet, but I've got before shots so when done I'll post both up. ---------- Post added 23-05-15 at 17:53 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] This build is amazing, and the thread is very educational. Can you post what stuff you have used in your posts? Loll. Like what foam and etc?.. Thanks No worries. I'll see what I can do. Mostly they're available off the shelf at Clarke Rubber but I'll measure them up and let you know. ---------- Post added 23-05-15 at 17:57 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by EX 5-0 VL [View Post] Amazing work. It's great to see that such a rare VL is being rebuilt to such high standards. That VL deserves a owner like you, I'd be devestated if someone cut it up, modded the hell out of it. In all my years of playing with VLs I've never seen a factory tuxedo black sl. Keep up the great work! Neither had I. In 28 years of owning them I'd only ever come across Calais & Berlina's in black, and even then only on forums etc...then I bought this one, started the Black car thread and two more popped up. ---------- Post added 23-05-15 at 18:02 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Steff [View Post] Craig! More up dates buddy! Check this thread daily hoping for another pic. Getting there. It's back together now as there were no problems putting the dash back in. Took it for a drive on trade plates last Saturday, expecting a few rattles and things to be sorted out. Nothing. This thing is as solid as my white car. Inspected and registered last Monday so I'll try and get some more photo's tomorrow once I clean up a few little things and get the bonnet vents back in and plates on. Thanks for all the comments everyone. They're much appreciated. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
8bangaArchived member
Hi Awesome car love your work just a quick question when you painted the interior parts with the sme paint how did you prep them before painting? any help would be greatly appreciated
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 8banga [View Post] Hi Awesome car love your work just a quick question when you painted the interior parts with the sme paint how did you prep them before painting? any help would be greatly appreciated Interior parts prep was pretty easy. I just gave them all a good scrub down with Nifti or Spray & Wipe, rubbing over most surfaces with non-scratch Scotchbrite and/or a small scrubbing brush. Finished of with a PlasticPrep (just an anti-static alcohol wipe type liquid) just prior to painting. The SEM paint doesn't require and mixing or thinning so just spray away. Being used to modelling products I used some Gunze Mr Surfacer 500 to fill any small scratches I found. Excess can be wiped away using cotton buds and metho. Best to start with the best plastics you can find though. Masking off the black on interior parts can be very tedious, so probably best to start with parts where the black is in pretty good condition as well. SEM black will bring it up like new though if that's not possible. I should have some more updated pics in the next couple of days.
0 likes
VLTWhite1Archived member
Now, where was I? Oh, yeah...interior done. No major surprises in getting all this back in after the prep work. Befores and afters... (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2012-194_zpsz53zanbp.jpg.html) (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2014-004_zpsozi3rlnm.jpg.html) (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-109_zpsirokcth3.jpg.html) ...and the rear (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-108_zpsftmavzai.jpg.html) Not forgetting all the fun little rubber bumper pieces... (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-110a%20copy_zpswpx2icao.jpg.html) Either side of the glovebox... (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-111_zpst4f4txxr.jpg.html) (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-112_zpskqhqn09k.jpg.html) (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-113_zpspiuwrj73.jpg.html) And the other side... (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-116_zpsyia86s3n.jpg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ss nutArchived member
Beautiful!! Cheers Marty
0 likes
calaist5Archived member
Just looking at the photos doesn't seem real Nice work. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today6

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT