Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

The VL Sleeper effect, MK III

Started by 350stato · 26 May 2014 · 140 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

dougall83Archived member
A sorta shame for this thing not to have a rb in it, In saying that I'm very interested to c how it all comes together very diff from the norm,
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] A sorta shame for this thing not to have a rb in it, In saying that I'm very interested to c how it all comes together very diff from the norm, Well, as much as I like the RB's, at the end of the day, they are just not.... well, 2JZ's, the normal issues of the RB's when chasing big power like oil pump, crank collars, rods and piston's etc, making sure there oil flow from the head etc isn't restricted, I've been through all that sh!t with the RB25 in the S14, Don't get me wrong, I know the RB can be pushed, but the 2J, It's an N/A 2JZGE, I'm doing ARP rod bolts so I can rev it, ARP head studs and a new standard Toyota 2JZGTE head gasket, that's it, no rods, no piston's, no oil pumps, no better water pumps, no big sumps, and I'm pushing for 550-600rwhp on about 30psi and E85, i sure as hell wouldn't do that with an N/A RB30, also get the added bonus of being a twin cam 3ltr engine, so no drilling this and that for the 25 head etc, long motor will owe me about $900 ready to go... Plus I like different.... ha ha, That said, enter ARP goodness.... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Ha ha I agree if we were all the same it would b boring, Like I said heaps of coolness with colour and different motor build is really interesting I like it a lot,
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Been to busy to get much done on this but the front and rear screen has at least been fitted, The tape is to hold the new moulds in place, Stripes come next week, Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
paint looks great
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Bloody awesome, was it 2pac or acrylic? Sorry if I missed it
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thank's, It's done in De Beer 2K, I'm stoked with the result's, stripe's are booked in for Friday, keen to see it with them back on, I'll have to pull my finger out and get into it a bit
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
Awesome! It was orig acypic paint yeah?? Did whole car get primed? I see in pics only the battery area did, sorry about the qs just painting a car soon and the more info the better!
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
That paint has come out a treat
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Id imagine it was acrylic originally, or what ever the factory used, yeah the whole car was primed, think last pic's on first page and first pic's on this page are of it in primer and rubbed, whole car was in primer in and out, rubbed and painted.. I picked up a turbo manifold to suit the GE head, only a china thing but some are ok, others are sh!t, this one looked ok, have tested a few and seem to hold up if you get the right ones, I had to use a die grinder to mill the holes out a little to fit but got it on, dummy fitted it up and checked turbo clearance, some sit the turbo real close to the cover's, this one seems to sit outwards a bit, hoping it'll clear the strut tower now lol, front housing will be rotated down though Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Opened the 2JZ sump yesterday, Seems to be impressively clean inside, a good sign that the 69,000 klms may in fact not be bullsh!t after all Did a quick check of the bearing's, which checked out in very good order and threw in the ARP rod bolts... So, ARP rod bolts in, Bearing's checked, bottom end is built and ready for the 30+ psi E85 tune :P........ No, I'm serious..... really. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
That's awesome haha
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Main part of the sump is back on, time to find a pick up Bumper's, moulds etc all painted.... Will attempt to get some parts fitted to the body today.. Well I didn't get as much don today as I hoped, but hopefully I can free up some time over the weekend, I did how ever get the wiper motor etc back in, fuse box back in (original) place, and the side stripe's done.... First strip on... Rest on and taped to secure.. Un-taped.... pretty happy with the colour, hopefully the lower decal's and strip's will be done, they came out last week but they were unhappy so they are coming out again soon.... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
So after watching a NOS front panel lion badge sell for $157.50 on ebay, and thankfully missing the end of the auction that I was going to put a stupid price on because you CAN NOT get them and is the only badge I dont have in mint condition, I was lucky enough only a week later to be as far as I know the first person to get a newly listed repro item from the guy's at Capalaba Rare Spares, It even comes with the factory lug's for the panel, looks absolutly brilliant and is only $30.00!! So finally you guys can now get these and look mint!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Lol some of the prices I see r massive forehead slap moments lol Can't wait too see this with bumpers on,
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
They finally exist! I managed to restore mine, but if i Had have waited Id be snapping one up for $30! Looking good with fresh moulds on, coming along nicely!
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Great progress mate. Lucky u didn't drop the coin on the other badge
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks guy's, yeah, i can imagine the feeling of the poor other guy if he found them for $127 cheaper at rare spares So last nights efforts I cleaned a couple of chrome trim's and fitted up 1 side, Luckily enough the original mold's on this car are pretty tidy, I am missing 1 bloody clip for the rear quarter surround to stop me fitting the whole other side, Once I find that I can fit up and align the other side Front pillar mold... Rear opera glass surround mold Forgot to take a pic of the gutter strip, Rear opera glass surround fitted, makes such a big difference lol Fitting up the gutter mold, for anyone doing this, you need all 3 mold's to dummy up for the gutter mold placement, it wont want to move once its clipped properly, Rear opera surround trim and gutter trim on... On and clean!!! looks so much more like a car, ha ha Front trim... All cleaned up... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
starting to look complete!
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Mint!!!!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT