Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

1987 VL Executive

Started by Psychotik · 15 Mar 2014 · 70 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

PsychotikArchived member
^ Yeah dunno aii, probs gonna keep it as stock as possible exterior wise.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
for the price of chrome rings caps etc you can buy some nice hubcaps. and you won't be a canary target. black stockies look cheap. black are only painted that way because they are made to be covered by hubcaps and they want the hubbies to look less plastic and cheap so blackout the recesses. the silver is on commercial vehicles. your choice. but 15" calais rims, hubcaps, even a set of walkinshaw rims ae all available super cheap. this from a guy who has owned and paid for a set of ve's to be drilled properly and safely.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
In reply to SIroller, and anyone else who has responded in regards to the rim colour and what I am going to do with them, here is my dead set final decision. I am going to paint them silver, put the wheel caps over them, with chrome bolts. However I will not be putting the trim on them, as they make the wheels look smaller, and do not wish to have this look. Thanks Boyracer, didn't think much of your opinion at the time, but now I see you actually had a valid point. Anyway that's how I am going to do it, I will however be buying the chrome rings, since they will be easy to add and remove at will, without a huge hassle, so if one day I like em and the next I don't, it won't matter. Anyway digressing a little bit here. Other updates for final exterior changes: Anyway the car will look like this or similar to this upon completion: I am going to make it look as stock as possible on the outside, as if it had came out the shop. Excluding the rims of course. I will however be committing a turbo conversion within the near future. My aim is to make the car a sleeper, hoping to get at least 10 seconds on the 1/4 mile once I have FULLY finished the car (This will be in the distant future, once I have got all the interior clean and exterior finished and mint) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Update: Buying Black Venetians and the Wheel caps & Bolts. Very soon (Within the week hopefully) Anyway, will keep you guys updated. Oh and one extra thing, if you are selling WHITE venetian blinds, would be happy to buy, cause buying Black just means one more thing to paint aha.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Erm progress sort of: The rims have been sanded down, and the undercoat of the rims have been painted. Will be painting them the silver within the week. Other than that, the car hasn't moved... The only real change is, that I removed that black sh*t off the back of my bumper. Next up after the rims, is to go and buy the caps, bolts and rings. Then will be moving onto removing the rust etc. Will keep updating (Will post pics of rims tomorrow).
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Help: What badges should I keep on my VL, all to keep it stock? Should I paint the rear bit which is silver, (dunno what its called but its between the two lights) Should I paint them silver (again) or paint it black? ---------- Post added 22-04-14 at 21:59 ---------- Not silver grey, my bad (can't edit). ^ or w/e colour it is currently.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
All badges looks nice. If they are a bit faded pull them off, give them a sand, hit them with a few coats of satin black then go over the letters with a silver paint pen then clear. Should come up good as new for a few bucks, then just stick them back on (good quality double sided tape) The thing between the rear lights is called a tail light garnish, personally I think they look weird if not matched properly with what kind of lights you have. If you have dark lights like mine (Berlina) a dark coloured garnish looks good. On an exec I would keep it a light colour because their lights aren't tinted so it needs to match. My recommendation is berlina lights and black garnish cause it looks mad imo.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Cheers man. And thanks for the tip for the badges!
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Rims with tyres and rings all done! Here is a pic: Just need the chrome nuts and also the caps and she'll be good! ---------- Post added 01-05-14 at 20:51 ---------- Damnit. Image didn't work heres another upload: Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Looks nice mate.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Chrome caps or just the plain silver? Hmmm.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Just need the caps now. Probably chrome. Oh and btw sorry boyracer Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Well besides fixing up dents etc, (will come later) what should I do in the meantime, the car hasn't been worked on in a while, and I wanna do something to it.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
- Check for rust! - Tacho instrument cluster - restore your badges? - clean up headlight lenses - If you're feeling adventurous you can spray your bumpers and moulds MX grey Depends on how much/how in depth you want to go
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Thinking calais taillights, opinions? Because TBH the executive taillights are not very appealing.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Don't waste your money, imo Calais lights belong on a Calais, unless you're going to change the front lights, side mouldings etc. Spend the money on things that need doing/upgrading.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Calais lights with SL garnish and eyebrow moulds looks so wrong.. Go black VK style lights with a black centre garnish, that is a nice clean look that suits Agreed with 3lturbo, do things it needs, being a 25+ year old car, cosmetic touches can wait lol
0 likes
PsychotikArchived member
Alright thanks BigM22, also yeah I hardly have time to work on it at the moment, with Year 11 **** an all, might sit there for a while, as it already has been haha.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Ahh the joys lol, enjoy year 12 then if Year 11 is doing this to you! Best to worry about the education first though, and then the VL, so good choice haha ---------- Post added 28-07-14 at 20:04 ---------- case in point because I'm bored: Yuck.. (http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/BigM223/media/imagezvh_zps76528307.jpg.html) (http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/BigM223/media/picard-facepalm1_zpsb5558f99.jpeg.html) Black garnish and lights... (Credit to Deren99 for the mint SL build where I got the pic from, his thread is on the second page of Other VLs) (http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/BigM223/media/P1010017-1_zpsd0689d9b.jpg.html) lol (http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/BigM223/media/IMG_14831_zps448a8613.png.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Was gonna say lol, if you can't find the time to tinker on your VL in year 11 you have no hope till you're out of school hahaha.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

8,994 threads, 62,181 posts and 788 images saved from CT

26.3% of indexed threads saved