Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My A9Y VL Calais Wagon

Started by priceysVL · 4 Sept 2013 · 138 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

MUSArchived member
Nice vz!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Got the engine out earlier tonight. Only took about 2 and a half hours with a lot of stuffing around cutting the exhaust that had been welded up previously. Disregard all the auto oil and coolant. Up early again tomorrow to prep the new engine and hopefully have it running sometime tomorrow afternoon. ---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 20:08 ---------- Not as much progress as I would've liked today. Bit of stuffing around and some issues, mainly with the crank pulley being stuck. Broke the oxy out to heat it up and still Wouldn't budge. Ending up cutting it an taping it off but in the process damaged the housing behind it. will just use the one from the old motor. The crank pulley which caused massive headaches Also cut the auto brake pedal down to manual size Cleaned the gearbox up And as the engine sits currently, sump off and yet to refit timing belt. Have fitted flywheel and the clutch is all set up. Also replaced the rear main seal. To do tomorrow: - refit sump - refit front housing - cam and crank seals - fit tensioner and timing belt, refit timing covers - fit a/c compressor and swap power steer pumps. - reattach gearbox and refit engine. And hopefull she fires up. Will be loud as will only be running to the dump as the old exhaust doesn't line up due to the extractors being welded on. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Okay, after a few long days and a couple of long nights, the new drivetrain is finally bolted in. Everything in the bay back in and fitted Couple more hours of work and we should be ready to start up, all be it very loudly. To do: - fit new slave and clutch master, clutch pedal , bleed clutch - fit shifter - flush cooling system - fit dump pipe Will have to wait until Thursday next week for my 3" exhaust to arrive. So wont be able to properly drive until then. Once I'm happy with the drivetrain next step will be to look at the windows and replacing the majority of suspension. Also upgrading brakes to VT items. Cheers for the views/comments Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Top work mate!
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Spotted your Wagon While doing a delivery today to C.A.R Looks fkin nice, Very jealous! Do you work there or are they just doing the work? I thought I recognized the work shop in your photos.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i'd seriously recommend contacting matt aka vhr32 instead of opting ofr VT brakes. I've driven cars with a few different upgrade packages and the option i went with (rx7) is definately up there and is infact the best option i've come across allowing the running of stock steelies and rims without spacers or anything
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Spotted your Wagon While doing a delivery today to C.A.R Looks fkin nice, Very jealous! Do you work there or are they just doing the work? I thought I recognized the work shop in your photos. Yep that's where I work. Who do you do deliveries for? Say g'day next time, I'm the bloke with long hair and a beard, can't miss me. ---------- Post added 16-01-14 at 22:31 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] i'd seriously recommend contacting matt aka vhr32 instead of opting ofr VT brakes. I've driven cars with a few different upgrade packages and the option i went with (rx7) is definately up there and is infact the best option i've come across allowing the running of stock steelies and rims without spacers or anything I saw you did the same on your wagon, ill be looking into it further in the next few weeks.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Yep that's where I work. Who do you do deliveries for? Say g'day next time, I'm the bloke with long hair and a beard, can't miss me. ---------- Post added 16-01-14 at 22:31 ---------- I saw you did the same on your wagon, ill be looking into it further in the next few weeks. Will do I'm the fat ugly bloke in orange or yellow fluro with shirt, with short spiky hair and normaly glasses but not at the moment, from your local Mazda dealer in the Silver BT-50 cage ute, I only live a few blocks away from there too, not far from were you saw me and posted it in the spotted thread when I poped a turbo hose off last year
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Will do I'm the fat ugly bloke in orange or yellow fluro with shirt, with short spiky hair and normaly glasses but not at the moment, from your local Mazda dealer in the Silver BT-50 cage ute, I only live a few blocks away from there too, not far from were you saw me and posted it in the spotted thread when I poped a turbo hose off last year Okay, not too often we order genuine Mazda parts but I needed a rear main seal for a Mazda 6, had to wait 2 days! Think I've seen you skating through chats wood as well? What's happening with your vl?
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Okay, not too often we order genuine Mazda parts but I needed a rear main seal for a Mazda 6, had to wait 2 days! Think I've seen you skating through chats wood as well? What's happening with your vl? Yep that's me! Think I dropped that off today I regretfully have to sell my VL , made the mistake of buying a rust bucket BT-50 (BT 5H!TTY as I call it) Duel Cab 4X4 and I owe more than its worth, also Being kicked out of my Cheap rental (there building town houses on it) So i'm looking at paying $150- $200 more a week and in rent and bills and most of them are shoe box studio units with no parking or storage Plus my VL is a rust bucket and cant afford to fix or finish it ( wanted to make a HDT LE mock up) One day I'll buy a VLC wagon and make it a HDT Sports wagon Mock UP. http://s236.photobucket.com/user/phi...ort=3&p age=1 (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/philby-83/library/For%20Sale%20Holden%20VL%20Calais%20Turbo?sort=3&page=1)
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Coming along really good man, I reckon you should fit some new headlights, will look so much better.. Mad progress but man keep it up
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Okay, went to start it up this arvo. Cranks nicely but will not start, will start with aerostart. Have strong spark but found out I have no injector pulse. Does the crank angle sensor have anything to do with the firing of the injectors? ---------- Post added 17-01-14 at 18:29 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by VLT222 [View Post] Coming along really good man, I reckon you should fit some new headlights, will look so much better.. Mad progress but man keep it up Cheers man, yeah all in due time. Get the major stuff done and then all the detail will be in the final touches.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Wouldn't be this would it? http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=73237 I had a similar issue when I converted to turbo in march last last year
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Okay, went to start it up this arvo. Cranks nicely but will not start, will start with aerostart. Have strong spark but found out I have no injector pulse. Does the crank angle sensor have anything to do with the firing of the injectors? ---------- Post added 17-01-14 at 18:29 ---------- Cheers man, yeah all in due time. Get the major stuff done and then all the detail will be in the final touches. yeah mate if you have the dizzy plugged in but not actually in the head and turn the rotor you will hear the injectors pulse (with the engine off obviously) my money is on stuffed cas or faulty wiring somewhere. im sure i will have this exact problem with mine tomorrow morning as im putting a rb30e+t in mine to get it back on the road
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
I priced a cas from Repco and is only $80 odd. Can't get it until Monday so will pull the dizzy apart and replace it an hopefully well be good to go. Mounted the slave and master up today, went to fit the dump pipe but need a gasket which hopefully I can get when the full exhaust comes on Thursday/Friday. Also tried putting the shifter in but with no luck? Any tricks? Have to hit it in? Cheers for the help. ---------- Post added 18-01-14 at 12:40 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Wouldn't be this would it? http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=73237 I had a similar issue when I converted to turbo in march last last year He was getting no spark, I am, just no injector pulse. Also he couldn't hear his fuel pump, mine is definitely working.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
I can lend you my spare complete dissy if you want to try that?
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] I can lend you my spare complete dissy if you want to try that? Cheers mate but ill probably just get a cas, that way I know it's new. I still have the old n/a motor in the workshop so I can always switch dizzys off that.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Hey mate saw your post on Sydney's VLT on FB if you want to try another a turbo computer I can lend you a spare I have if you want to try that? I had a similar issue with mine but it was only one injector, there was a beak in the wiring under the inlet manifold ( wiring harness was brittle and ****y) and some corrosion in the harness as well, As it had been sitting in the weather for a while Grant at Artarmon Auto Elec fixed it up for me.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Hey mate saw your post on Sydney's VLT on FB if you want to try another a turbo computer I can lend you a spare I have if you want to try that? I had a similar issue with mine but it was only one injector, there was a beak in the wiring under the inlet manifold ( wiring harness was brittle and ****y) and some corrosion in the harness as well, As it had been sitting in the weather for a while Grant at Artarmon Auto Elec fixed it up for me. Cheers mate. Gonna replace the plug ontop of the dizzy today and see I their is any change. If not there must be a wiring issue somewhere in the loom or the ecu is playin up. Will update accordingly and ill let you know if I need to check with that ecu of yours. On another note my exhaust arrived today. 200 cell cat, single muffler, 3" ---------- Post added 21-01-14 at 21:49 ---------- Also changed the plug on top of the dizzy today and had injector pulse but then it was intermittent, then nothing at all. Philby I might have to take you up on that offer of borrowing your ecu. Got he shifter fitted at least. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
It's running! Very poorly though, still having timing issues and fuel problems. Mounted the exhaust up aswell. Don't think the embedding worked http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdb5ef86a.mp4 (http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/Aussie3692/4A0070FD-C93D-4D80-82AC-6DCD1037E990-1080-00000144531E1E4D_zpsdb5ef86a.mp4) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 6 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today82

6,422 threads, 42,865 posts and 631 images saved from CT

18.8% of indexed threads saved