Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My 1986 VL SL

Started by VLT222 · 19 Aug 2013 · 61 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] Looks nice. Did notice the Turbo badge is silver (Calais spec) as you probably know already... tryin to stay under the radar I have an x-over pipe if you need one on ebay atm. keep up the goods Yeah honestly it didn't even cross my mind when I bought, and Im not really caught up in the whole 'omg its not red bro, it must be a mock up' I just got silver because I like it lol.. And as for crossover ill see how I go, I'm planning on putting a cooler on it sometime in the new year so ill see what happens.. Thanks for all the feedback aswell, ill update as soon as something good happens Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
OK update time.. Long story short I finally got a set of tyres for the car, couldn't do the wheel alignment until I get a few suspension issues fixed. I got a new front bumper and trim set off ebay and re-painted all the bars and side moulds in mx grey, I also fitted up an ebay special cooler kit haha, went on surprisingly easy considering I had to cut a hole just above the chassis rail. Sounds good even with the stock air box it has a little flutter lol Anyway some pic's for everyone.. Finally at the tyre shop New mint bar and moulds all painted Cooler piping looks decent for ebay special I think? I think I might try and get some black silicone joiners and paint the core black. Thoughts? I also noticed a small coolant leak this morning, think it might be coming from the cap so ill have to get a new one and go from there :/ Next on the list is get the exhaust re-done, r33 box and clutch, and boost controller. It picks up really well with the cooler now even for 7psi, but I really want to get the drive line up to scratch and have it reliable. Thanks nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Cooler piping looks good man. Coming along very nicely
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Been a while since I checked in here.... Wow!! Looks mint, job well done buddy. Shame you had to hack it up for cooler pipes! Does look pretty mint though.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MUS [View Post] Been a while since I checked in here.... Wow!! Looks mint, job well done buddy. Shame you had to hack it up for cooler pipes! Does look pretty mint though. I know MUS I wasn't keen at all on cutting a hole in it either but I assure you I did a good job lol not just a makita special haha
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Update time again!! Its been a long time, but big updates are always better.. Ok so a few things that have happened to the car lately. I got the car resprayed which I didn't intend on but it just sort of happened, and then I got a case of 'oh while I'm at it I might as well..' so heres a little run down of things that I've done since the respray. - Respray including engine bay (which I semi smoothed, just welded up a couple holes here and there to make it look a bit neater) - New tyc headlights and brand new front and back bumpers and trims - New rear sway bar and adjustable pan hard rod - New aluminium radiator - GFB boost controller - 3" exhaust - 20" fr1 simmons (which I no longer have) - Currently its sitting on a set of turbo hubcaps Thats it for now, Im kind of a low point with it as I got pulled over by a highway patrol and now I have to take it to get checked at an EPA station for noise and emissions. Which means I have pretty much put it back to standard which Ive done. EPA appointment is in november :/ I also got my hands on a r33 gearbox AND a micro tech lt10s with x4 ignitor box and hand controller which I'm yet to put in. Now for some pics I ended up putting a dose pipe on for a bit of fun On her way to the panel beaters When I went to visit the panel beater to see how it was all going I was pretty excited lol And the finished product I spent about 5-6 hours with the help of a couple mates putting the car back together the very next day, and it was driving the that night. It was such a relief after the long wait and late nights putting it back together but we ended getting it all done and cruised it to Harrys liverpool As nice as it looked with the simmons I did get over the scrubbing and harsh ride, So I opted for the sleeper/ OG look and got a mint set of turbo hubcaps instead! Thats pretty much where its at now, except that it has to go to EPA soon, after that ill hopefully put the r33 box, micro tech, get a vlt diff and probably heaps more sh!t.. VL life aye.. :/ cheers nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Looks so mint man
0 likes
vin-vltArchived member
that looks so killer so jealous Replace the blue silicone off the cooler with black and that would be PERFECT
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vin-vlt [View Post] that looks so killer so jealous Replace the blue silicone off the cooler with black and that would be PERFECT Thanks man, black joiners definitely on the list! ---------- Post added 22-10-15 at 11:44 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Looks so mint man thanks man, you need to keep yours so we can at least cruise together lol!
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Wow lots of progress! Looks great mate. EPA has been on a roll lately it seems like everyone is getting done. I had to go in my S15 a few months back too. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
woo this is sick! nice man Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
*** hell man, that looks awesome
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
Very nice mate... Inspires me to get rego on mine and get it back on the road haha
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Thanks guys! You definitely need to put rego on yours and get a cruise happening soon Jarrod!
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Its been a few months.. How about an update aye! Don't know what happened to all my other pics but any way ill post up some freshies now. Ok so the car has change drastically over the course of this year. Since the car pretty much looks how I want it now I decided it should go how I want it to aswell. So as for drive line work the car has: - R33 gtst 5 speed box - NPC 5puk clutch - Reconditioned Tailshaft - Full spool VLT diff w/ 3.9diff gears, 31 Billet axels shortened 50mm in overall length I have also purchased some ET streets which are currently on the car with custom 8" chasers, but all need to box the rear trailing arms before they bend lol Engine work is still very basic with only a cometic head gasket and arp head studs but will be receiving the following very shortly. - ARP headstuds - Cometic 1.8mm headgasket - Nitto oil pump w/ crank collar - ASR Race sump - Custom catch can The plan for the car at this point is to squeeze as much as I can from the n/a motor as possible with out braking it right off the bat. The mod list will be as follows. - 2000cc bosch injectors - twin 044s w/ surge tank - Walbro lift pump - CPC street inlet manifold - custom intercooler piping - 3.5 dump pipe w/ 3"exhaust - GTX 3582 w/ internal waste gate still on the standard vl turbo manifold. - Haltech ps2000 w/ wideband and IQ3 dash The car will be running on E85 for the time being until I can save up for a flex fuel sensor. Hopefully its running within the next month or so as Id like to debut it at my good mates wedding in september. Some of you may remember my old red executive that I had which he actually sold to me, which was my first VL :P A lot of photos are scattered as my old phone died, But Ill try and keep it order. So how about some *** pics! Firstly the r33 box went in along with the new clutch, which will hopefully last. How the GTX setup looks (I had to use 2 spacers, shave the engine mount and the block a tiny bit) Once it was finally in the car :P The size difference between the little t3 hi flow The new CPC inlet manifold The new diff all finished And it finally has callipers in the rear now ET STREETS Thats pretty much all thats going on with the car at this point, once I get it all going ill definitely post up plenty of photos of it. Like I said Im trying to get it all ready for a mates wedding. It still needs to be wired up and tuned aswell once all the mechanical and fab work is done. anyway cheers nick Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Next level sh1t here mate Unreal how far it's come! Mines still NA lol
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
awesome sauce. looking mint and soon to be boosting mint aswell.
0 likes
vin-vltArchived member
love the mudflaps with the ETs ! Quick question what kind of boost levels can that internal gate controller manage?
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
Cool build , love the look! cheers darren
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Just read through the whole build thread Very impressive this car has come a long way
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today5

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT