Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
08-12-12, 19:47 GMT+10#41 Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lturbo
[View Post]
Dyno queen? There's more to building a car than sticking to norms, and common build themes.
That's like saying the speed limits only 100km/h in most areas, so why build a fast car.
Realistically, Where are you gunna use that power? Unless it's a full tube job, then its pretty well not a vl anymore. I agree there is more to building a car than what is considered normal, but you can still do all your fancy fab work/ Theme, but still only have 1000hp.
I reckon it's not speed as the reason to build a fast car, its the acceleration to the speed.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
08-12-12, 20:27 GMT+10#42 Quote:
Originally Posted by brenton21
[View Post]
Realistically, Where are you gunna use that power? Unless it's a full tube job, then its pretty well not a vl anymore. I agree there is more to building a car than what is considered normal, but you can still do all your fancy fab work/ Theme, but still only have 1000hp.
I reckon it's not speed as the reason to build a fast car, its the acceleration to the speed.
A full steel 2000hp drag VL would be sweet, drive it home too
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
08-12-12, 22:04 GMT+10#43 a lot of money to spend on a VL. If I had enough money to get NRE to build me an engine, plus ship a car over to the US I wouldn't be shipping a 1980s 4 door commo worth sweet f all. If it was a mint Camaro, early corvette, torana... anything with a bit of class I'd understand it hahaha. Be good to see it complete anyway.
0 likes
08-12-12, 22:28 GMT+10#44 Why spend big money on a Camaro or early 'vette when it has been done thousands of times and they have already won big awards in America. In addition as much as I love those Chevy's too I don't see what makes them a superior car to a VL. Especially the Camaro which was originally intended as a budget performance car. In addition the VL brings together elements from Europe, America, Japan and Australia. The history of the VL is rich and interesting. Good on him for choosing to spend big on a VL I say.
0 likes
08-12-12, 23:35 GMT+10#45 Quote:
Originally Posted by DUZ105
[View Post]
I've never seen a street car with 31 by 14 Tyres on the back of it yfd
Your right, thats way to weak.
33x19.5 on the street
DUZ105, your car is awsome! do you still drive it on the street anymore?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
09-12-12, 01:54 GMT+10#46 Quote:
Originally Posted by brenton21
[View Post]
Realistically, Where are you gunna use that power? Unless it's a full tube job, then its pretty well not a vl anymore. I agree there is more to building a car than what is considered normal, but you can still do all your fancy fab work/ Theme, but still only have 1000hp.
I reckon it's not speed as the reason to build a fast car, its the acceleration to the speed.
Most of the car scene has no direction, so why should having 2000hp matter? Same as having an alco slurping small block with a TBS blower rolling on 22s, a big cammed/hi stalled drag strip themed car running a 200kg stereo and bulky trim, or heavy chrome dinnerplate rims with 90/10 shocks etc etc. Function is hardly ever the name of the game, it's more about excess. Most cars these days are built to better serve a desired function then retarded by other mods that stop the car from ever achieving it. It's like dumping a Euro on it's guts, you take a car with superior comfort handling then drop it on its arse so you look like a bobble head bouncing around inside...
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
09-12-12, 04:40 GMT+10#47 Quote:
Originally Posted by *LOACH*
[View Post]
Why spend big money on a Camaro or early 'vette when it has been done thousands of times and they have already won big awards in America. In addition as much as I love those Chevy's too I don't see what makes them a superior car to a VL. Especially the Camaro which was originally intended as a budget performance car. In addition the VL brings together elements from Europe, America, Japan and Australia. The history of the VL is rich and interesting. Good on him for choosing to spend big on a VL I say.
They're coupes for starters, much more attractive IMO. What makes them different is that they are a classic muscle car, the average VL isn't and never will be. Each to their own though - I don't want to detract from the hard work that is being put into this car, should be good!
0 likes
09-12-12, 21:40 GMT+10#48 2000 is a large amount of horses... but at the end of the day if its a true street car no rules say he has to have 2000 hp all the time... the v8 alone would be ridiculous so if he wound the boost right down it would still be an insane (and probably still too powerful) setup. But too much power is always better than not enough!
I'll wait for the results/long game before whether I pass an judgement. As i said before, the image only shows the car and the front wheels, clearly has no rear end... could be getting a decent handling package put in the rear, and work everywhere to sort out putting down that power and keeping it straight.
Nobody can argue that NRE build well beyond awesome street cars, lets hope this one comes back here as a success!
0 likes
11-12-12, 01:36 GMT+10#49 First VL in the USA?????????
0 likes
11-12-12, 08:28 GMT+10#50 Nah VL Director was there in '87
0 likes
11-12-12, 13:38 GMT+10#51 Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ancardi
[View Post]
First VL in the USA?????????
And a Walky has been taken too i believe.
0 likes
03-05-13, 01:49 GMT+10#52 lets not take away the fact that even on a detuned "street" tune and our ****ty fuel (like p100 or bp98) this thing will still eclipse most other VLs in terms of power and coolness.
NRE have a chequered history of success I agree. However I'm just happy someone is doing this to a VL. going to look so mint. and you are right about looking pretty too, very aesthetic builds from NRE, going to look so nuts in the VL bay
I am looking forward to this running some numbers, luckily for us this isn't the states, the VL scene is very much about how quick you can do the 1/4. almost worth it all for the idle alone!!
Considering the strength of the dollar and relative costs, I don't see how this could be too much more expensive than sending your car to a big australian workshop for the full package? looking forward to seeing how it compares to said packages when it's ready to do some times.
0 likes
03-05-13, 09:25 GMT+10#53 Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
[View Post]
I'm just happy someone is doing this to a VL.
Me too. My thanks go to the owner as I think it is great for all VL owners that someone is putting such a huge amount of money into one and a non flip front one at that.
0 likes
03-05-13, 16:13 GMT+10#54 yep...agree, a twin turbo v8 built by anyone, will still turn the world on its axis..lol
cheers
darren
0 likes