Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My '87 Berlina! Factory 5Spd

Started by CYNICL · 12 July 2012 · 61 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] , and a thicker front sway bar (I'm thinking 27mm with urethane bushes might be stiff enough) Will update more when the time comes. I had a white line 27mm sway bar on my old Calais, definitely firmed it up
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] I had a white line 27mm sway bar on my old Calais, definitely firmed it up I think 30mm would be overkill and I'd just understeer too much.... Making these things handle isn't fun. lol. Hopefully 27mm is enough, stock is 26 so it's not much bigger but with urethane bushes it should feel much better I hope. One way to find out hey.
0 likes
Chaz_007Archived member
Loving the white centre walky's!.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
So, been awhile since I've updated here. Not through lack of things happening, though! Prepare for a long post. Have been working my ass off at my crappy part-time job so I can throw some money at my car, always a good idea right? Don't even know where to start but did something I've always wanted to which is to get a smaller steering wheel, as the stock ones are the worst to drive with imo they are too big. I'm not tasteless so didn't go down to supercheap and buy some spaceship spec POS thing though, I waited it out for ages to finally buy my dream wheel; A Nardi Gara 3 Type 3 from the US. Don't have a pic of it in the car but it suits the interior perfectly, feels great and almost seems factory which is what I wanted. Then got my greens, finally... Then some time past and one of my mate's and I flew up to Brisbane to pickup this, his new car. He has wanted one of these for ages and got it for a good price too. (It's a 318iS) We drove it back from brisbane to Sydney, entire trip from leaving to go to the airport to getting back home was almost exactly 24 hours so we made good time... Of course you don't go interstate without taking advantage of it, the main reason I went was to pick up these for myself on the way back! 28 Spline turbo axles and an LSD centre. The thing I've hated most about my car since I bought it is the ****ty and whiney open diff. Had those installed and some bits reconditioned to stop all the noise it made back there (This is the only thing the car has had done by someone else) And hopefully will be the last thing for a long time, cost a pretty penny in the end.. probably too much. Then, just recently after recovering from some stitches in my finger I could get back to the car, decided to install the parts that I've had in the garage for months now waiting for me to put in. Bought it all second hand, some nolathane bushes, KMac tops, lowered springs/shocks/struts etc. Apparently all sourced from KMac themselves but I'm not completely convinced. A million times better than stock though but would have liked something a littler firmer. Took me a few days and a lot of swearing in the parent's garage with the help of a few friends when I needed it. Did the rear first, that was a sinch. Then came the front... Oh man that was a head**** and a half. I hate Z link bushes. Then in for an alignment: This was only recently have literally only just finished some fine tuning/teething issues. Enjoying it now! Now that it's more settled in, not too low not too high. What I wanted. My favourite photo of the car; first drive out of the garage from suspension going in. Sketchy but awesome. This post took me a long ass time to make so hopefully some of you like it, lol. Almost didn't bother haha. Cheers. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Good work! Haha yeah feedback on here is few and far between! Awesome job on doing all the suspension and diff work basically by yourself, would take me weeks to have a crack and not fk anything up Looks good on those wheels too, white on white seems to suit
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
polish those rims!! ha ha looks good regardless mate!! well done height is perfect,
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
It's coming along real good mate, I have a set of walkinshaws I'm thinking about putting on mine. Any plans for turbo in the future?
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Thanks boys. I'd sure love to turbo the car one day, if I have the means when the time comes. Needs a lot done beforehand though, big brakes, recaros (stay tuned... for awhile lol) as well as some rust attention eventually.... which knowing me will mean a full respray because that's probably the best time to do so. If I manage to get all that done by the time I get my fulls, then yeah 220-250rwkw turbo setup aimed mostly at response would be the go! But that's a long time away yet. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Re-Redified my belt buckle buttons. I'm sure everyone knew about this tip already, but it was news to me so gave it a try. Rub a bit of vaseline onto the faded red surface and let it sit for 30 seconds then wipe off the excess, reapply if required. Brings back the original colour of the plastic. Thought it was cool and I know a lot of interiors get let down by not cleaning these up in some way so thought I'd share. Before: After: Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
that's good! Im needing to do mine aswell lol
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
Thanks for the tip! will be doing this to mine, they're faded badly
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Looks cool on white Walkies!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Wow! I will be doing that aswell
0 likes
#adzArchived member
good work on the suspension. liking the white walkys, different to the norm but doesn't look out of place. looks really good overall thanks for the tip on the seat belt buttons
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Sooooo..... Picked up a new car last night. Took advantage of the new P plate laws. I have a bit of history with these. Dad owned 2 GC's when I was born and they got me into cars, so was always planning to get one - just not this soon! I'm sure some of you will hate to hear this, but yes, the VL will be coming up for sale in the near future once the WRX is registered in NSW. (Bought it and drove it down from the sunshine coast) If you think you may be interested in the VL feel free to send me a PM. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Put an ad for the VL up on gumtree.... while half tearing up. :/
0 likes
BigM22Archived member
. ---------- Post added 22-08-14 at 22:57 ---------- Should sell given the description and price, sad to see it go Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Nice, put some more pics up of the WRX. Sad to see the VL go, but onwards and upwards.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
I was really unsure what price to put on it haha, its cost me more than that I can tell you, but most people just see commodore and rust and assume it's worth a grand! The WRX is definately a leap forward (or 3 :P ) in performance and refinement... very fun to drive. Here are some pics of the rexy. Has 3"TBE, short shifter, stereo, V6 STI wing and GD I think STI scoop. Quite tasteful and stock which is why I got it. Not a bad collection for a self-funded 18 y/o at uni :P Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
She's still alive and kicking! For now. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today33

20,542 threads, 242,269 posts and 2,526 images saved from CT

60.0% of indexed threads saved