Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Has anyone built a spool 3.4L yet

Started by MADVLT1 · 19 May 2012 · 129 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

xAsh-Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MADVLT1 [View Post] i will still be driving mine on the road till i get told i can't anymore. **** yeah!!!!
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Straight cut, Mr Transmissions did a deal on mine as sponsorship and i got it pretty cheap, but its much cheaper than the ppg stuff, and the experience Ive had with ppg isnt good, not my car another AVO car. I think Podowski had trouble with his ppg set at superlap too? No point having the rev cut if you have to lift between 2-3 and 4-5th is there? Im in now way telling you how to pend your money dude, i know as well as anyone that you will have to do what you want to be happy with it and not left wondering if you should have done it your way. There are just some things I think are just not worth the money, the box is straight cut.
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Straight cut, Mr Transmissions did a deal on mine as sponsorship and i got it pretty cheap, but its much cheaper than the ppg stuff, and the experience Ive had with ppg isnt good, not my car another AVO car. I think Podowski had trouble with his ppg set at superlap too? No point having the rev cut if you have to lift between 2-3 and 4-5th is there? Im in now way telling you how to pend your money dude, i know as well as anyone that you will have to do what you want to be happy with it and not left wondering if you should have done it your way. There are just some things I think are just not worth the money, the box is straight cut. Ill give them a call tomorrow i reckon. Are they in queensland? I joined this forum to get peoples input and experiences. Some information i will take on board and some not. Have been looking on here for ages and you and a few others give out some good information.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Yeah, Dave his name is, good dude, can get busy though so keep on to him for prices. The PAR set hasnt let me down yet, i mean it hasnt done heaps, im pretty firm with it but not rough too. Car made 625rwkw
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Yeah, Dave his name is, good dude, can get busy though so keep on to him for prices. The PAR set hasnt let me down yet, i mean it hasnt done heaps, im pretty firm with it but not rough too. Car made 625rwkw Cheers. what motor you running and what turbo. is that the yellow track vl im thinking of.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Yeah thats the one, its 26/30, there really isnt much aside from the head that is special, the RIPS bottom end is basic stuff, it just works so well though. Head was brand new from Nissan Japan, ported here and fitted with Tomie cams, buckets and shims, over sized valves Tomie cam stud kit, pretty much the works. I run a GT4202. The rest of the car is slowly catching the H/p of the engine.
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Yeah thats the one, its 26/30, there really isnt much aside from the head that is special, the RIPS bottom end is basic stuff, it just works so well though. Head was brand new from Nissan Japan, ported here and fitted with Tomie cams, buckets and shims, over sized valves Tomie cam stud kit, pretty much the works. I run a GT4202. The rest of the car is slowly catching the H/p of the engine. Killa. when are you getting full boost by with that turbo and what psi. Are you still running the wave trac 9 inch diff centre and if so what's it like.
0 likes
Magnum06Archived member
How much are the 3.4l kits? Spool doesnt have prices on their site.
0 likes
vl4skidsArchived member
[QUOTE="MADVLT1"]Spool 3.4L stroker kit (crank rods and pistons) $4800 That much mate, page 2
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
[QUOTE=vl4skids;2927713] Quote: Originally Posted by MADVLT1 Spool 3.4L stroker kit (crank rods and pistons) $4800 That much mate, page 2 Think they r $5200 now.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MADVLT1 [View Post] Killa. when are you getting full boost by with that turbo and what psi. Are you still running the wave trac 9 inch diff centre and if so what's it like. Got 30psi by 4500rpm, limiter is set to 9000-9500rpm if I need the extra revs. it will rev past 10k if needed, I would prefere to put diff gears in before I needed to swing it that hard, dyno sheet showed it made power to the limiter. Yeah still got the wave trac, not really that happy with it last time out, but it could have been more a front brake pad issue making the rear unsettled, I think its too slow to lock up again, but it might not unlock as often if we set the car up a bit differently. I didnt see but I just assumed this is going in a vl??
0 likes
MICKYYYYArchived member
I hear that Nitto tried the 3.4 and didnt work out very well due to side loading??? and they went 3.2 as it worked the best overall...
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Last I heard about nitto was in 2010, they had just started testing the 3.4, but the 3.2 was very good and was able to rev reliably up to 12500rpm Didnt hear anything else about it really
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Lets get some photos of the car it is going into, turn it into a build thread.
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Got 30psi by 4500rpm, limiter is set to 9000-9500rpm if I need the extra revs. it will rev past 10k if needed, I would prefere to put diff gears in before I needed to swing it that hard, dyno sheet showed it made power to the limiter. Yeah still got the wave trac, not really that happy with it last time out, but it could have been more a front brake pad issue making the rear unsettled, I think its too slow to lock up again, but it might not unlock as often if we set the car up a bit differently. I didnt see but I just assumed this is going in a vl?? Yeah its going into a vl. that thing would be good to drive. u ever going to bring it to adelaide.
0 likes
jbonezArchived member
Good to see bulk cash still getting burnt like a housefire on vl commodores!
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] Lets get some photos of the car it is going into, turn it into a build thread. I will once i have time and can work out how to put pics up. been working 13hrs a day lately to try catch up with work. ---------- Post added 23-05-12 at 22:21 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Got 30psi by 4500rpm, limiter is set to 9000-9500rpm if I need the extra revs. it will rev past 10k if needed, I would prefere to put diff gears in before I needed to swing it that hard, dyno sheet showed it made power to the limiter. Yeah still got the wave trac, not really that happy with it last time out, but it could have been more a front brake pad issue making the rear unsettled, I think its too slow to lock up again, but it might not unlock as often if we set the car up a bit differently. I didnt see but I just assumed this is going in a vl?? Just gonna pick your brain a little if you don't mind. while on the track what does your oil temp sit at and what oil pressure do you have at high rpm.
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
haha, blushes with embarrassment. I havent got an oil temp gauge set up yet, and to be honest, I dont know what oil pressure it has off the top of my head, I have a mechanical gauge, and electric gauge, and its on the data logger too with an idiot light if it drops. The only thing i see when Im driving it is the mechanical gauge, if the orange needle isnt up im off the throttle.
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Well that ain't much help. Anyone else got any info on oil temp and oil pressure.
0 likes
MADVLT1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 88 Chaser [View Post] Also, be a bit careful with the rev cut shifters, if you miss it by a little its good bye dog rings, Im not sure how much time you would save when you have to concentrate so much on sticking each shift perfectly. I know with mine its dog 1st-4th and syncro 5th, its second nature now and Ive done next to no laps in mine really. 3.4 stroker im very interested in, i was going to do it but couldnt warrent the cost after talking to Robby at RIPS I spoke to Dave at Mr transmissions. He is going to call me back with a price soon. Im not going to be using a rev cut shifer im getting a motorsport load shifer gear knob to cut ignition hooked up through the aurtronic computer. Dave said that is the best way to do it.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,560 threads, 76,037 posts and 941 images saved from CT

30.8% of indexed threads saved