Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Engine Bay Prep

Started by AVG45 · 6 Feb 2012 · 127 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

calais25tArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by AVG45 [View Post] Yeah I'm just gonna go harlequin on the rocket cover timming cover brake boster and fan shroud.. rocket cover will look sik bruz \m/ make sure you do da foose box lid az well...
0 likes
SL1987Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by RB-GEM [View Post] Tapping the lip up on the firewall will leave a bump . I ground mine off with a belt sander . . It doesnt leave a bump, you tap it up, weld it, grind it, bog it! job done. I do them almost every day and thats how we always do it..
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Here are a few snaps of mine, I didn't go as detailed as some of you guys mainly I had the towers smoothed and a few holes covers on the fire wall , you can save yourself a bit of money if you don't focus on the areas you don't see but I guess it depends on how over the top you want to go. One tip I have for anyone that's going to have there bays smoothed is use as little bog as possible and when it is used make sure it's a very thin coat, I've seen heaps of paint jobs ruined by cracking and lifting because people have gone nuts with the crap.... There's no point in having a killer engine setup with everything polished if the paint in the engine bay lets it down so do it once and do it properly! Also mock everything up like all your accessories ,wiring looms , nitrous , brake lines , brackets , p-clamps anything that may require holes to be drilled or nut-serts to be used . Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
calais25tArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVL [View Post] . What Paint did you use on the gate? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
madrexArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVL [View Post] Here are a few snaps of mine, I didn't go as detailed as some of you guys mainly I had the towers smoothed and a few holes covers on the fire wall , you can save yourself a bit of money if you don't focus on the areas you don't see but I guess it depends on how over the top you want to go. One tip I have for anyone that's going to have there bays smoothed is use as little bog as possible and when it is used make sure it's a very thin coat, I've seen heaps of paint jobs ruined by cracking and lifting because people have gone nuts with the crap.... There's no point in having a killer engine setup with everything polished if the paint in the engine bay lets it down so do it once and do it properly! Also mock everything up like all your accessories ,wiring looms , nitrous , brake lines , brackets , p-clamps anything that may require holes to be drilled or nut-serts to be used . That looks killer love it
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by calais25t [View Post] What Paint did you use on the gate? High temp paint lol I've got to pull it apart again to have it powder coated gloss yellow.
0 likes
AVG45Archived member
Get it polished you girls dress
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Get a car that runs you filthy gestating vaginal growth
0 likes
[T]MattyArchived member
powder coat melts at like 250deg? that gate will get well over that?
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Ceramic coat sorry... As it is the paint has held up quite nicely the top of the wastegate doesn't really get that hot the chrome ceramic coating and the gap between the body and the diaphragm part of the wastegate really keeps the heat down. Couple more photos...... Sorry the bays filthy Hope this helps Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
trkdupArchived member
Very nice bay devl
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
Thanks bud
0 likes
poohkiesArchived member
god i need to clean my engine bay up again, i thought going matt black was a great idea (no oil marks :P ) i'll have to paint it either pink or grey (two tone colour) and then have a go again! need to clean up my wiring way more also
0 likes
rb25vlt8Archived member
So when you guys have been welding your bays did you remove your fuel tank ??? Or empty it and fill with water ???
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
I just took mine out
0 likes
[T]MattyArchived member
when people seam weld cars ive never heard of them taking out the tanks, is it a real problem?
0 likes
WHTVLTArchived member
Lol!
0 likes
DeVLArchived member
I only took mine out to stop any contaminents getting into it ie' water bog dust and paint.
0 likes
GouldyArchived member
A panel shop I use to work they use 2 weld around gas tanks lol!
0 likes
rb25vlt8Archived member
**** that sounds real dodgy I've drained my tank and my fuel lines are flared for a fitting which goes to braided line so I've just blanked the feed and return off would that be safe ??
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

15,803 threads, 149,550 posts and 1,735 images saved from CT

46.2% of indexed threads saved