Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

[CUBED] InsaneVL's LS1 VL Calais Build Thread

Started by InsaneVL · 13 Jan 2012 · 215 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

vlliciousArchived member
Redwood and pacemaker mounts are the same. Good stuff.
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Stuff is starting to happen now. Started taking the car apart today!!! Drove it for its last time as a 6cyl into a mates garage (more room there than my house.. lol) Engine bay as it started Took the Intercooler pipes off Then took the intake manifold off. (For sale btw. Forward facing, XF T/B, custom Throttle Cable to suit, painted black.) Took the Turbo/Manifold off (sold, gotta be posted off on Monday) My mate Az helping me with taking the front bar off As the car sit now.. Will be looking to take the motor/box out next weekend when I have access to an engine crane. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
looks good man everythings coming along
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Motor/box came out today. The VL is officially no longer a 6 cyl!! hahahaha.. Motor out.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Been a while. Not much has been happening as I've just been amasing some more parts while waiting for the Engine to be built. However - at last - some exciting stuff is being done! The VL now officially has 8 Cyinders (8 pistons is another question though hahaha) To get things moving while waiting for the real engine - i've borrowed a stuffed LS1 block from a mate with a big hole in the side (whoops) With the Hole. The Redwood engine mounts were put on, but not before I had to go out and buy the bolts for them.. one thing that could have been improved was to sell them with the bolts!! Passenger Side Drivers Side Then the engine was lifted by hand into the engine bay. These blocks are so light! While i'm still waiting on the gearbox - I threw a spacer between the block and kframe to hold the back of the block up. So some spare heads went on to check some clearances The main clearance I wanted to check was the space between the Driver Side Rocker Cover and the Brake Booster (being that I am running a VS booster/VT Master). The coils will NOT fit I will need to have the coils relocated now. While i'm at it, I might look at some nicer rocker covers aswell. Clearance for the exhaust is going to be tight and my exhaust make will probably end up hating me. Driver Side clearance: Passenger Side Clearance (Still got a starter motor to go in this side) Manifold on to see how it looks. Engine mounts from the Front. Drivers Side Engine Mount from the front Passenger Side Engine Mount from the front Still waiting on a sump to check the Sump Clearances on the KFrame and also waiting on a dummy gearbox to fit up to check that out. Might have to throw some accessories on the front before sending it off for the exhaust to be made so they know how much room they have to play with. Fuel system should arrive this week and will try get that in before it goes off for the exhaust. Will get more photo's of all of that too when they arrive. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
A few more go-fast bits arrived today. 2L Surge Tank to go in the boot. Nice and Shiny!! Will be feeding 2 x Bosch 044's. One of which is currently on the VL. Additional new one: Held in together by a nice Twin Fuel Pump Bracket. Both pumps will feed a Fuel Converter to converge it into 1 line. Then through a TurboSmart FPR1200 With Fuel Pressure being monitored by a Fuel Pressure Gauge. An electronic sender will also send Fuel Pressure to a Gauge in the interior for on the go monitoring. Fuel will be filtered coming into the Surge Tank by a Inline Fuel Filter All the fuel system components together: Now waiting to sort out a few fittings and Hardline so I can put it all together. Also got 2 New Oxy sensors that will go in the exhaust. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mrvkcalasArchived member
if u can find a set of ls2 coils they fit thats what i have on my vk same break set up aswell
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Hmm interesting. I didn't know the LS2 coils were any different (Physical size) Regardless. The intention later was to end up hiding the coils anyway. Just means I spend a little more now on custom length ignition leads instead of re-doing it later.
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Thought i'd get a start on the wiring loom. Here is the standard engine harness untouched. First step was to strip all the tape, split tubing, and anything else holding all the wires together. I also labeled all the plugs so I knew which plug was what. 1/2 way through Done. Then started stripping out all the additional crap I didn't need. This included A/C connections PIM connections MAF connection (since its going to be MAFless) BCM connections Throttle Relaxer connections Traction Control connections Gearbox connections (T400 is going to be manually shifted, so no need for this - including speed sensor connection as this will be cable driven) Leaving the following: There is more wires to come out of this and will be done in round 2. Not much left and more to be taken out. This is everything that got taken out. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
vlliciousArchived member
Man your game! My one pet hate is wiring, never would of attempted this! Are you running new fuel lines all the way through??
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Wiring is easy. This isn't the first time i've done a custom LS loom. Fuel wise - will be a dead head system. So the Reg will be in the boot just next to the pumps. Will be using the standard feed line. If that ends up not being enough - can use the standard return line as well. The 5/16" should be enought with 2 x 044's pushing the fuel though (Being that it's a deadhead system).
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Actually just heading out to the shed now to go through your bits.
0 likes
Adam007Archived member
Mind sending me the wiring diagrams you are working from? I need to do very similar things shortly Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Luke - thanks for that. Really want to see if I can get the fuel system together this week. Adam - I have a copy of the Factory Manuals from VT-VZ. These are about 2.5Gb, so will have to burn them to DVD and post it to you if you want the whole lot. Might see what I can do about posting up just the 3 main wiring diagrams I use for the LS engine loom. PM me if you want the factory manuals. I also have VK, VE and VL (although I won't resend the VL ones - there is a guy on this site that went through the pain of scanning these all in, so if you want VL ones - get in contact with him). If you just want VL Wiring Diagrams from the aftermarket "Manuals" - see http://www.insanevl.com/wiring/ ---------- Post added 01-04-12 at 19:45 ---------- edit: Have just uploaded the 3 x PDF's with the LS wiring diagrams. I put them in the LS1 conversion thread for easy reference here: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...=226236&page=8 (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=226236&page=8)
0 likes
vlliciousArchived member
Luke i thought you weren't doing braided stuff anymore? Or are you only selling stock you have left over? Wouldn't mind doing my fuel setup either but ill be using the under car surge tank with twin 044.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vllicious [View Post] Luke i thought you weren't doing braided stuff anymore? Or are you only selling stock you have left over? Wouldn't mind doing my fuel setup either but ill be using the under car surge tank with twin 044. Yeah I've got a bit left. Really trying to clear it out, then I'll move onto a purely drop ship for my larger customers and serious amateurs. Only way to compete. PM me and I'll see if I can help.
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by InsaneVL [View Post] Luke - thanks for that. Really want to see if I can get the fuel system together this week. Adam - I have a copy of the Factory Manuals from VT-VZ. These are about 2.5Gb, so will have to burn them to DVD and post it to you if you want the whole lot. Might see what I can do about posting up just the 3 main wiring diagrams I use for the LS engine loom. PM me if you want the factory manuals. I also have VK, VE and VL (although I won't resend the VL ones - there is a guy on this site that went through the pain of scanning these all in, so if you want VL ones - get in contact with him). If you just want VL Wiring Diagrams from the aftermarket "Manuals" - see http://www.insanevl.com/wiring/ ---------- Post added 01-04-12 at 19:45 ---------- edit: Have just uploaded the 3 x PDF's with the LS wiring diagrams. I put them in the LS1 conversion thread for easy reference here: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...=226236&page=8 (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=226236&page=8) he means tranny porn
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Small update about the VL. I borrowed a Turbo400 off a mate while my real one is still being sourced/built so I can mock fit it up to get things like the exhaust and tailshaft done. Will probably get around to putting this in over the Easter break so the car can go off to [COMPANY-A] next week. I will also be getting them to fit up the air intake. So the T/B went on, and I put the Radiator in place with the AU Thermo's. The Alternator, P/S Pump, and Water pump will also go on loosely so we know where things will be. I might need to clean this T/B up as I didn't realise how dirty it was Makes me think about the other accessories I have here. Hopefully they clean up alright and still work fine. I'd hate to have to shell out for new accessories Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Adam007Archived member
Yes the accessories certainly do add up, I bought a motor without any, would of been cheaper to probably purchase a complete engine, but oh well. Out of interest how are you going to mount the thermo's so that they are secure?
0 likes
InsaneVLArchived member
Yeah - that is the reason I bought a motor with all accessories, loom, ecu, etc. Just a bit of a bummer that the accessories look like they have been left out for a while. I just hope they clean up and still work ok. Thermo's.. good question. That will be what I need to figure out on the weekend and i'll let you know what I come up with.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today28

19,533 threads, 219,053 posts and 2,382 images saved from CT

57.1% of indexed threads saved