Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

New build with updates!

Started by melbv · 17 July 2016 · 124 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] its definitely not essential for 300kw , id probly focus on the big ticket items like turbo , manifold ,exhaust , intercooler set up and your fuel system. then once its all together you can be driving around while you save up for other parts like that to put on and make it more reliable later on. little things like that that arent needed blow the cost way out before you are even started SHOW US SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The car is being delivered from Perth so transport company are taking their sweet time with it, FRUSTRATING!! I'm getting the ice ignition with leads and everything else for $300 so I might grab it. It should be here by next weekend I'll post up some photos
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] I'm getting the ice ignition with leads and everything else for $300 so I might grab it. It should be here by next weekend I'll post up some photos Considering your budget is only $6,000, I think that $300 would be best spent elsewhere.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Factory ignition system works fine at over 300kw
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Yeah arp studs and bolts are about same price definitely a go! ---------- Post added 16-08-16 at 15:58 ---------- [IMG] (https://imageshack.com/i/pnK4Eto9j)[/IMG] So this is a photo I was able to get. Body kit will come off, rims will come off, bonnet will be repaired and resprayed. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
i dont mind the kit on that actually it a calais?
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] i dont mind the kit on that actually it a calais? Not an original Calais ---------- Post added 16-08-16 at 22:14 ---------- Hey guys, I've picked up an rb30 series 2 with 100ks, my car has high ks approx 250ks. I'm in a dilema now should I lower the compression of the low km motor while its out of the car and just use that or should I stick with the current motor run as high comp until it blows? I'm assuming I will need to retune the ECU when I lower compression ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated
0 likes
MorgzArchived member
I'd stick with what you have if it's working. Not much to be gained by changing them if you're running a factory computer anyway.
0 likes
200seriesArchived member
use a low compression head gasket... will be abit thicker than standard one.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgz [View Post] I'd stick with what you have if it's working. Not much to be gained by changing them if you're running a factory computer anyway. It won't be a factory computer, I'll be installing a microtech
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
if you havnt even got the car yet how do you know it even needs an engine change? do a compression test when you get it first
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] if you havnt even got the car yet how do you know it even needs an engine change? do a compression test when you get it first Probably doesn't, but the motor I have is in excellent condition. Was thinking of just using that to be better safe than sorry. As of today I have T04 (TURBINE WHEEL TO4"P" 2.54" 2.89" (64.51mm 73.40mm)COMPRESSOR) 660cc deka injectors, custom fuel rail Custom intake plenum, xf throttle body Microtech lt10 3" exhaust turbo back Mx7 gearbox heavy duty clutch Vl turbo diff Front mount 044 bosche pump I think that's it unless I forgot anything. Future purchase will be arp studs and bolts, 1.3m cometic gasket. With an extra fuel pump and surge tank I think I'm good for 350rwkw As of today I have 2k left in the budget. I'm guessing a tune will set me back $1000 so I gotta spend the remaining $1000 to make sure the motor holds up for a while. Any thoughts ? Arp studs and cometic head gasket is $500 that means I gotta install myself to be within budget, unless a high comp setup will be good for 300-350rwkw???
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Your going to need a intank pump of some description to feed a surge tank and your 044
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Your going to need a intank pump of some description to feed a surge tank and your 044 Yeah I'm waiting a walbro hoping it comes through
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
You will need a fuel reg also. What plenum?
0 likes
FlexyArchived member
Factory FPR will be fine.
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
What fuel you going to use? What boost controller? Microtech's don't have them in built. Don't forget to add in any lines, fittings, plumbing, wastegate if it's not internal etc.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] You will need a fuel reg also. What plenum? It's a modified vl turbo plenum. ---------- Post added 17-08-16 at 12:23 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] What fuel you going to use? What boost controller? Microtech's don't have them in built. Don't forget to add in any lines, fittings, plumbing, wastegate if it's not internal etc. Wastegate got, 98 will be used BUT! I'm starting to think I might need to sell my current injectors and buy some 1000cc e85 injectors. Should this all be done on a high comp setup??
0 likes
3lturboArchived member
Why wouldn't you? And like the boys told you in the other thread, they were all running e85 when they made 350-400kw+ on their high comp setups. It's all proven, what you need to do is find somebody who's already done it and replicate what they've done.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 3lturbo [View Post] Why wouldn't you? And like the boys told you in the other thread, they were all running e85 when they made 350-400kw+ on their high comp setups. It's all proven, what you need to do is find somebody who's already done it and replicate what they've done. Yeah I found that ollies vl ran 9s!!! Not sure if that was a high comp setup but I'll start doing the research. From what I've read arp studs and bolts are required to keep things smooth, so if the head is coming off might as well change compression if it gives better results??? I might just slap it all up and push the current motor without opening it and see what results we can get out of it.
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Although my current setup is not a N/A bottom end. Mine has high comp and it makes great power on E85. I assumed you would of been running E85.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 17 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today19

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 79 images saved from CT