THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM
HOLDCOM Community
Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.
Sponsored by HOLDCOM AUTO PARTS ↗
+ Start a discussion
General discussion
Tuxedo Black SL Turbo Restoration
Started by VLTWhite1 · 11 Mar 2015 · 86 repliesPreserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
29-06-15, 21:08 GMT+10#67
I think quite a few will agree Craig that
You can now be crowned the godfather of the Vl turbo.
0 likes
29-06-15, 22:40 GMT+10#68
Thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciate it. This one has turned out probably about as good as I can get one, but it's taken quite a few cars to get a handle on it all. Two wrecks pulled apart completely, noticing all the little differences in things between them, and the gold sedan and red wagon to 'practice' on first. I'm really glad this wasn't the first restoration I'd tackled because I know I wouldn't be as happy with it if it was.
It's also taken stupid amounts of money, but then I suppose I could go and buy a new SSV Commodore tomorrow and probably lose just as much on that in the first 5 years in depreciation and not have anything to show for it. We've all got to have our hobbies right?
Oh, and the finished result...
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-105_zpslpdi7ohj.jpg.html)
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-104_zpsyidwby6d.jpg.html)
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-102_zpsijr6axwm.jpg.html)
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-100_zpsmgurumdv.jpg.html)
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-099_zpsfjtboq07.jpg.html)
(http://s18.photobucket.com/user/NewVLT/media/2015-096_zps1covmxqh.jpg.html)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
30-06-15, 16:18 GMT+10#72
Its been said before but I'll say it again, absolutely awesome job there Craig.
At the end of the day, it's only money right....? May as well spend it on something worthwhile
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
30-06-15, 17:53 GMT+10#73
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWPN6
[View Post]
Looks great mate! Job well done!
Any pics of the engine bay?
Just cleaning that up as we speak. I'll post some shots up when done.
---------- Post added 30-06-15 at 17:24 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT
[View Post]
That's just the best ever! Craig did you spray the rear garnish or?
Yes. It was colour matched to the grey on the new tail lights, which is always just different enough from the bumpers to be annoying.
---------- Post added 30-06-15 at 17:26 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Dan
[View Post]
Its been said before but I'll say it again, absolutely awesome job there Craig.
At the end of the day, it's only money right....? May as well spend it on something worthwhile
Very true. We're talking new car money here, but then I would only have a new car...just like everyone else. Why not be different.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
30-06-15, 19:24 GMT+10#74
So garnish was colour matched to new genuine taillight grey? Also a different grey to the bumpers?
0 likes
30-06-15, 19:43 GMT+10#75
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT
[View Post]
So garnish was colour matched to new genuine taillight grey? Also a different grey to the bumpers?
Yep. If you look at brochures or pictures from the eighties the garnishes and tail lights are always a slightly darker grey (and a flatter finish) than the bumpers.
Some say it's a VK warm grey colour but as Hella painted them in-house (both garnishes and lenses) it could have been anything really.
0 likes
30-06-15, 19:50 GMT+10#76
Bumpers look only to be a touch touch darker! Thanks for the info Craig, you the boss!
0 likes
01-07-15, 09:13 GMT+10#77
Now that this beast is finished, does that just leave the A9Y to be done?
I'm sure I can spy it in the background
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
01-07-15, 13:26 GMT+10#78
Attention to detail is amazing. Well done Craig, you're an inspiration to the VL community,
Now you need to do an updated photoshoot with all your vl's together
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.
Who’s online
1 member and 5 guests active in the last 15 minutes
Visitors Today7
3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT