Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
25-03-15, 18:46 GMT+10#61 Love it mate very jealous, do you work full time? Cause I do and I don't have a spare second to scratch my saggy ball bagger let alone spend hours on my cars!!
0 likes
26-03-15, 20:28 GMT+10#62 Yeah mate I work full time, I just honestly have no other hobbies or interest's so all my spare time goes into my car's, I'll be in the shed till up to midnight some times lol
0 likes
24-04-15, 22:07 GMT+10#63 looks bloody mint chris!! and that nosecone badge is perfect lol
0 likes
25-04-15, 20:57 GMT+10#64 **** man im loving this thing.
Its like watching Jesus being born in slow motion!
0 likes
09-03-16, 10:07 GMT+10#67 Well this has come to a almost complete stop lol, life happened again, but things will start and hopefully finish this year,
Got some stripping done that turned out to be a very disappointing job to the point of non payment,
Also decided that the engine NEEDED HKS 280 cams etc, and the turbo should evolve into a GTX42,
The head is back now (well ready to pick up as of Sunday just gone) so motor can be put together and await gearbox to come back, will hopefully get it mounted in next couple months when other stuff slows and time permits
will add pics soonish
0 likes
14-03-16, 21:21 GMT+10#68 Shame it has ground to a hault!
looks like it's going to be good!
wish i could steal your shell and re shell my calais!
0 likes
24-04-16, 21:24 GMT+10#69 Aannnnddd We'll try again to upload some progress, this was done a few months ago, will try to catch up to where I am,
Started doing the Bailey channel stuff, always fun -.-
Started painting the rear quarter glass stay's/window runner
Painted...
Bailey channel fitted..
Fitted....
Window fitting...
Boot seal on!!
Also did a spot of shopping at Rare Spares Capalaba,
New "Executive" badge as per original, Couldn't bring myself to fitting a badge or anything that wasn't now near perfect as it would detract from the rest of the car
Had to see it against the colour, Can't wait to get it on the car...
Also bought some sticker's, may be ahead of myself here but thought since i was there already...
Bought the "Australia's driving future" sticker
New "Zupp's Holden" sticker as per original, there is a slight difference in the sticker but unfortunately cant get the earlier one to suit
So as my original tail light eyebrow's were not rubbish, they were not fantastic, bought some new ones
Turn's out Rare Spares bought the mold for these as well, so they are as good as they get
this is my original and one of the new rare Spares item's
Annndd on!
I also bought some new lights as mine were starting to come apart and get some minor crazy cracks in the lens
New Rare spares Garnish, Also taken from the original mold, Unfortunately, the paint is utter rubbish, inconsistent and can even see through a few places, not really noticeable in the picture, Also a complete ballsup in terms of paint match, Rare Spares also supply the TYC tail lights which are a completely different colour to the garnish
Needless to say, Jake the painter had a fit when he saw the finish of the tail lights and garnish, swore at them, put them in their box's and buggered off home with them, such things are not good enough to grace HIS paint jobs apparently!
So, as much as I am aware of the colour difference to the MX grey bumpers, which I believe is slightly lighter, it seems there is no certain code that at least I can find, I've always been a fan of the black Berlina lights, but this car was to be original, so wouldn't suit, now Jake being an ace bloke as well as a painter who still gives a sh!t, mixed up a colour and repainted the tail lights and garnish, mind you, I had no idea what exactly it would come back looking like, and when they did, I was a little put off by them being much darker and even slightly darker than the MX bumper's rather than slightly lighter...
Fitted up tail lights....
Garnish on, turns out I like the darker colour, good work Jake!!
[COLOR="Silver"]
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
24-04-16, 22:28 GMT+10#70 Got the rear bumper out to get it together and on the car,
Painted up the brackets to live another 30 year's...
A few rubbish photo's in the mix so bare with me, I'll keep it basic lol
Rear bar on..
Got a pack of new clips from Rare Spares for the filler strip's
I wanted to get the door handles re-done, but looking at them it was obvious they are not just pained black, So I sent them off to be powder coated in black as it looks like the factory did the same for a hard wearing paint (beware, more sh!t pics, no clue what the fcuk was going on lol)
Also the 2nd stripe person had their second attempt at the factory style stripes, was again a fcukup, I wont sh!t bag them as they usually do custom wraps etc and their work in that field is very good, this was a new venture and it just didn't work out, that said, this would not be an easy thing to replicate, It was all wrong on many levels from coloring being not even close to size and position well wrong, and unfortunately a not so good product they were using so the stripes were rolling over within days, It is very noticeable in person, almost looks good in the pictures, new against old, probably the biggest give away is the position of the black border strips, it's actually not there on the new ones as the door gap is there,
I'd probably almost been happy if they had resized it the 2nd time they tried it
The pin strip for the top got as far as the front guards when I told them to...."shoo"
There is a 15mm gap difference in starting points between each side and both "kicks" are completely different and does not even come close to following the body line
Anyway, I will find someone to replace them soon,
Had this fun task...
Used this stuff...
And stuck it on the boot to make it look like this....
So this is about how it looks at the moment in it new home..
Gave it a house warming wash before sitting it in it's new bedroom, this is about as far as the body has come.
For a bit of lighter humor, I found this last year,
Decided the front needed to be modified to suit my car....
Removed the head to fit ARP head studs and GTE MLS gasket
Head is all in very good condition, need's no work, and being an N/A head, means it has much larger ports than a GTE engine, Winning!
That said, as my 2JZ is an N/A engine, which run a distributor, and that sucks...like RB's (that's right, that just happened lol)
I am putting on a GTE (turbo version) oil pump so I can run the crank position sensor, this allows me to run GTE cams as the N/A cams have a gear on them, I can also run a coil on plug setup like the GTE engine and will just run wasted spark, so, oil pump off!
New Genuine Toyota GTE oil pump, new water pump and tensioner, bottom end is now almost complete and ready to make some decent power..
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
25-04-16, 00:15 GMT+10#71 I have also got a 36 minus 2 2JZ VVTi crank timing gear to run with the CPS,
Got a F.A.S.T fuel reg for it, slowly gathering bits...
Time to remove the original shifter...
Cut the floor to fit the B&M shifter and drop box..
Even fits!!!
So this weekend I bought this wagon to do all the engine/box/cooler mock up into so I don't stuff the paint with welding splatter or lifting in and out and chancing scratching the sh!t out of it, its had the front cowl panel in front of the screen cut out and half replaced, unfortunately not a great job and would have to come back out, everything on the rear is in great condition, bumper and trims need a paint but are really good, hard to find, interior is same colour as the gold car and just as good condition so I'll pick through the 2 for the best bits, will be parted out once I'm done and as sad as it is, this car will be cut up to save another,
---------- Post added 25-04-16 at 19:35 ----------
Some extra little bits hanging around..
New ball joints and tie rod ends,
ATI Balancer for the motor will be the final piece to the bottom end
80mm Plazmaman Throttle body..
Found this E-Boost 2 along the way somewhere, older style aesthetically but same as the new looking ones
Also pulled these little things out of a VL I parted years ago, they fit under the dash cover in the factory spot, few others I've tried never seem to so I've kept them stashed
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
26-04-16, 18:56 GMT+10#72 Genuine Toyota GTE MLS Gasket is rated better than Cometic in a lot of peoples opinion
Wound in the ARP head studs and sat the H/G on
Head is only sitting on atm, HKS 280 cams are ready to go in once the head is on
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-04-16, 09:13 GMT+10#73 damn!
stickers look good.
i'll have to re read this when i have more time
0 likes
27-04-16, 10:26 GMT+10#74 Man this is looking great!
I didn't even know those rear bailey channels even came out! Looks great, did you just use a gloss black paint on those runners?
0 likes
27-04-16, 20:55 GMT+10#75 Looking really good man, you've made fantastic progress since the last update
0 likes
27-04-16, 23:33 GMT+10#76 Thanks Lad's, The bug is definitely starting to bite again, although I do need to finish my van conversion and get the little Corolla sorted, but I'll be into this thing a fair bit once the van is done,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
[View Post]
damn!
stickers look good.
i'll have to re read this when i have more time
Yeah unfortunately they are not so good, look okish in the pics but close look will see the issue's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo5ton
[View Post]
Man this is looking great!
I didn't even know those rear bailey channels even came out! Looks great, did you just use a gloss black paint on those runners?
The Bailey channels I bought from Clark Rubber, they look exactly the same as rare spares sell and 3/4 the price,
There is 2 different sizes from factory I spotted when I pulled them out, I bought 2 different sizes to replace, smaller one is a little different but looks and works fine once fitted
And yeah, The runner's are painted in VHT Chassis paint, it's more like a satin black, I don't think they were overly gloss from factory
Got a little bit of motivation tonight, cleaned the head up and sorted the ARP stuff
Head fitted and torqued down....
Cams in..
Cams are HKS 280@9.5, a mate ran these in a similar engine through an auto with a slightly smaller turbo and makes a healthy 700rwhp
Scored the cam cover's off a mate, He swapped me these for my stock GTE covers I had to sell with his motor for these, have -10 speedflow breather fittings and a speedflow oil cap, these will be repainted before final fit,
Nobody gets this far with out the obligatory manifold and turbo mock fit,
China non-turbo manifold, I may even swap this out for a better one yet, needs to have the gate position modified as it's clearly **** and wont be fantastic
Proboost GTX42 turbo off my mates Gemini Drag car, only done 3 passes before changing to a smaller unit,
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
28-04-16, 12:23 GMT+10#77 Quote:
Originally Posted by 350stato
[View Post]
The Bailey channels I bought from Clark Rubber, they look exactly the same as rare spares sell and 3/4 the price,
There is 2 different sizes from factory I spotted when I pulled them out, I bought 2 different sizes to replace, smaller one is a little different but looks and works fine once fitted
And yeah, The runner's are painted in VHT Chassis paint, it's more like a satin black, I don't think they were overly gloss from factory
Yeah I got started on replacing my bailey channel rubber a few weeks back using the Clark Rubber stuff, but only got the big stuff. Did the front and half the rear and got to that skinny channel and was like um... that won't fit! Went back to Clark Rubber and got some samples of the smaller versions but I found they also didn't quite fit like the old ones. Was thinking of shelling out for the rarespares stuff just for the rear doors. But maybe I'll just go back to Clark Rubber and get the closest one.
Interesting that the image in the quote actually has "Bailey Channel Com VB-VL on it with 22 x 19mm - on the website and at the store I went to they didn't have this size...
http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber...ed-rubber.html (http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-extrusions-3/bailey-channel-flocked-rubber.html)
Maybe it's a Brisbane thing?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
28-04-16, 17:56 GMT+10#78 Oh ok, Yeah the front bit I think I just squeezed the bigger item in, but cant remember 100%, I'll have a look next time I venture to the shed and let you know, surely they can order some in at least, might double check the local store here to if I get a chance to see if they still carry it
0 likes
01-05-16, 11:39 GMT+10#79 Massive update!
Loving the attention to the little stuff. Hadn't thought about powder coating the door handles.
0 likes
10-05-16, 10:58 GMT+10#80 So I finally got into Clark rubber up here, They do still carry (although out of stock)the same size,
Also took a pic of the smaller one, gone up $2 a meter as well
Another part I forgot I bought for the car as I was going through stuff, I bought Maatook's strut covers anodized in black, as the engine bay will be in that theme,
Even managed to put the other side Chrome on now that a mate has lent me a clip for the 1/4 surround,
1 pesky f cking clip to stop all that lol
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes