Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
28-07-14, 20:29 GMT+10#61 Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNICL
[View Post]
Was gonna say lol, if you can't find the time to tinker on your VL in year 11 you have no hope till you're out of school hahaha.
Lol I wish I was back at school f&@k gettin old lol
Enjoy it now ha ha
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-09-14, 13:50 GMT+10#62 Thinking maybe to completely strip the VL back to bare metal, do a full rebuild of the motor, have the car fully resprayed etc, and have the car painted a nice blue over asteroid silver. Just like Deren99's old one.
I have no idea how much all of this would cost however, what do you guys think, should I spend a f*ck load on my first car (I love VL's so I don't think I will sell it anytime soon) or should I wait a bit, and buy a calais and then pump cash into the calais?
---------- Post added 19-09-14 at 11:51 ----------
Because in all honesty Deren99's old VL, is in my opinon just as good looking as a VL calais.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-09-14, 14:25 GMT+10#63 Lol. Do you know how much work that is and you couldn't even decide on how to paint your steelies!
You'd get half way through pulling it apart for paint and realise it's too much. Don't spend up big on your first car, I'm facing the repercussions of starting to do it with mine now that I want to sell it, and I only spend <5k and can barely sell for what I bought it for. And dont say you won't sell anytime soon.. I said that too now look at me.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-09-14, 16:11 GMT+10#64 You can do it if:
A. you have no deadline to finish and
B. You have another car
Speaking from experience it's taken nearly a full year to strip, prep, paint, and reassemble my VL, and it was a closed door job. No engine work, same exterior colour. You probs won't have any change from 5k if it's all DIY, actually bare metal as well, you're looking at a costly build! Lol
Not counting things that will break because let's face it, it's a vl haha
Having said that, if you do, you'll learn a hell of a lot about your car and a lot in general about working on cars. It's quite a rewarding experience
Also on the topic of Calais', trying to find a clean base to start with is hard these days as nearly all the clean, original ones have either been modded and cost a fortune, or hacked to pieces. It's easier to find an SL or something, and less electrical gremlins too!
0 likes
19-09-14, 18:48 GMT+10#65 Hey mate, a full bare metal respray in standard vl paint could cost you 7k.. And a basic engine rebuild prices can start at 4k. So you could be up 15k on a respray on a car with some balls from a minor engine build. I could be wrong but I think it's out of your budget.
I stripped my vl back and gave it a full respray (not including doors or bay) it took me 2 months. Spending a couple hours after work or on weekends etc. costed me probably $1500 in total. Given I did most of work (everything but the actual spray).
0 likes
19-09-14, 19:15 GMT+10#66 Sounds about right
You've got to get the whole car to a shell by yourself if you want to save any cash, and prep most of it
Btw A year was a bad indicator of stripping the car, I've only worked on weekends.
0 likes
20-09-14, 03:08 GMT+10#67 Hahha Cynicl, that is true. I do believe from everyone's input here, that it would be too costly to do what I mentioned before. I Will just work on making it look decent, and input small amounts of cash into it when I need to, or want to. Cheers guys.
0 likes
20-09-14, 11:54 GMT+10#68 Didn't mean to kill your buz man, but that's a massive job. there's a reason most of us don't do that lol. Just focus on cleaning it up, overtime with small quality changes here and there I'm sure you'll end up with a great car.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
26-09-14, 00:25 GMT+10#69 Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
[View Post]
Hahha Cynicl, that is true. I do believe from everyone's input here, that it would be too costly to do what I mentioned before. I Will just work on making it look decent, and input small amounts of cash into it when I need to, or want to. Cheers guys.
That's why we are all members of car forums, to learn from each other and share our passion.
0 likes
26-09-14, 18:49 GMT+10#70 You have to go to a certain level depending on what you want to do with car...
dont both rebuilding the motor at all, thrash it and boost it until it blows and then rebuild it, or just replace it with a $300 wrecker motor.
With the body, it depends on if you want to keep the car long term or not... dictating if you take either of the windscreens out, fixing the rust, spray the inside of the doors and door jambs etc etc it can become very costly.
i did something similar to MUS and had a shut door spray job done for $1000 cash
have a flick through my thread if u need some help with bodywork and such
0 likes
23-01-15, 03:18 GMT+10#71 Haven't updated this thread in ages. Lmao. Anyway, I'll leave it how it is. No point spending money on something, when that cash can goto buying a better VL!
I'll get a full service done on it, and maybe fix up the taillights and rear bumper, but for now, there's no point doing major work on it at all. Saving up to buy a better VL!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes