Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Dougs mint Vlct build thread.....

Started by dougall83 · 24 Dec 2013 · 212 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TurismoArchived member
Nice work! What did you end up using to extend the loom? Joiners like I posted above or solder? I'm thinking with the large wires ( as there to thick for my iron to solder) I'll split them into 2 and solder both separately then move them back to gather heat them up, bringing them into one again. With out using to much solder. Thoughts... Looks good once that engines out I think you'll be hooked and it won't go back in till it's show quality.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] Nice work! What did you end up using to extend the loom? Joiners like I posted above or solder? I'm thinking with the large wires ( as there to thick for my iron to solder) I'll split them into 2 and solder both separately then move them back to gather heat them up, bringing them into one again. With out using to much solder. Thoughts... Looks good once that engines out I think you'll be hooked and it won't go back in till it's show quality. Haven't ran right through yet mate, just making a bit of an effort so I don't have heaps todo when I pull motor, But I have a spare loom so il extend the LH headlight side with solder and keep the same colour an size wire, but unsure on the drivers side man, theres a few bigger plugs ect id like to delete, but I've researched it a fair bit but a lot of blokes only go thru the process not the specifics I guess like joiners or soldering joints, I would use a joiner if I was unable to solder it, I'm sorta guessing as I'm going, trying to ask as many people on the way, How ur calais coming along?
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Good man. Luck you have a loom on hand.. I just finished extending my loom: 25 cm for the drivers side and around 30 cm for the passengers side. Pull firm the loom reaches from fire wall to just infront of calais eyelid Cross my fingers n hope it fits but if the loom is not a sufficient length in order to be hidden completely ill cross my fingers harder lol Solder was not a problem. I used 4 gauge as i was told by my local autoelec that it was perfect for headlight loom. @ $1 a meter i bought 15 meters single color as no one sees it. Note: I use speaker wire (Heavier gauge 3 maybe) for the 5 or so thicker wires and 4 gauge for the rest. For the real thick stuff (drivers side plug 4 red wires 1 black and 1 black/white) I bought a new plug and plant to shorten that loom, replacing the original plug (crimp and solder) its a little tight in there still have a junction point (basically a floating bolt that's taped up) for fusible links, misc and a wire to an aftermarket auxiliary fuse box. not happy with that **** so im going to re organize that area. Also in regards to the "screw terminal" i posted a picture of earlier. I strongly recommend NOT using them. all connections have experienced some degree of oxidization. (I live 2 Ks from the beach and near the biggest salt producer in Australia namely Dampier Salt). As i Live and learn Any way thats my life story keep up the good work. Its like woman's day, but not and for men lol
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] Also in regards to the "screw terminal" i posted a picture of earlier. I strongly recommend NOT using them. all connections have experienced some degree of oxidization. (I live 2 Ks from the beach and near the biggest salt producer in Australia namely Dampier Salt). As i Live and learn Any way thats my life story keep up the good work. Its like woman's day, but not and for men lol lol yep the story of the vl and the restless lol yeah good thinking im only a street away from the beach but didn't even take that into account bud,
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
"didn't even take that into account bud," True its just dodgy, but i found out there is such thing as electrical grease that prevents corrosion of exposed wires. But obviously the best bet is to not have them exposed. Any way ill stop hijacken your thread n let you do your thing.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] "didn't even take that into account bud," True its just dodgy, but i found out there is such thing as electrical grease that prevents corrosion of exposed wires. But obviously the best bet is to not have them exposed. Any way ill stop hijacken your thread n let you do your thing. all good man I love yarning anything about cars anytime!!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
URL=https://imageshack.com/i/nd3j2cij] [/URL] (https://imageshack.com/i/nau2hvj) got the left side extended and fitted, relays and fuse rail in g/box, now will just have to mount somehow and clean up, Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Lol I thought the car had been in an accident till I realised the red was the hidden wiring and not some of the bodywork :P Good work.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] URL=https://imageshack.com/i/nd3j2cij] [/URL] (https://imageshack.com/i/nau2hvj) got the left side extended and fitted, relays and fuse rail in g/box, now will just have to mount somehow and clean up, Looks good Tons of pics that will give you lots of ideas on google (image search) The most common method employed is to use a backing plate. Im Looking for a suitable peace of plastic to create a rear backing/mounting plate for mine. Did you have to mod/cut the rear wall of the glovebox? Looked good. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] Lol I thought the car had been in an accident till I realised the red was the hidden wiring and not some of the bodywork :P Good work. lol yeah I try put up as many pics to help others along the way, ---------- Post added 19-05-14 at 07:06 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] Looks good Tons of pics that will give you lots of ideas on google (image search) The most common method employed is to use a backing plate. Im Looking for a suitable peace of plastic to create a rear backing/mounting plate for mine. Did you have to mod/cut the rear wall of the glovebox? Looked good. yeah I cut the f@ck out of it, my loom has so much added stuff eg:headlight fuses added ect, and is all tangled, so I cut more than I wanted to make it easier on myself, however if my vl was shmik as I would of taken more care,
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Haha cool. Will give it a go today.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
honestly the hardest part is cutting the old grommet, and I removed my blower fan:0
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] honestly the hardest part is cutting the old grommet, and I removed my blower fan:0 Yeah grommet owes me a nice razor cut. didnt realize it was fused into the loom. Angle grinder made short work of the glove box and its backing. So its just a matter of mounting all the gear in the glove box? I cut a hole under where the antenna loom bullet holes through the body. so many sparks though it was going to catch fire lol Do you have to take the front bar off to remove the guard. (just dont want to damage the bracket or bar) Color code the hidden loom.. that's love
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
yeah mate I just undid the side I was working on h/light too
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
cool cheers
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
well mate was removing a motor from his vl bt1 is a a6 but no history on it, so we talked ourselves into fitting it to the Calais till I build a donk, so ROUND 3!!! (https://imageshack.com/i/nbb1ydj) vl,s n tow trucks lol (https://imageshack.com/i/ndygfpj) (https://imageshack.com/i/n8ihpgj) mates beers and broken vl ahh the life!!! ---------- Post added 24-05-14 at 00:22 ---------- (https://imageshack.com/i/nbel89j) (https://imageshack.com/i/narthaj) ---------- Post added 24-05-14 at 00:26 ---------- all out time for swappn all the bolt ons (https://imageshack.com/i/nhwwr0j) ---------- Post added 24-05-14 at 00:27 ---------- (https://imageshack.com/i/nd7i5jj) ---------- Post added 24-05-14 at 00:29 ---------- (https://imageshack.com/i/naxqzmj) (https://imageshack.com/i/na78l3vj) ---------- Post added 24-05-14 at 00:31 ---------- so got the motor out and other in in a few hours just have to hook dump, oil return, coolant return, radiator hoses and fuel lines left and game on!!! again lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
Good work. How long till she's all running and off for a tune?
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Turismo [View Post] Good work. How long till she's all running and off for a tune? should b running tonight or tomorrow, and not too sure on tune as yet, 2nd gasket went from detonation again so just gunna see how runs and go from there, has a tune in it but will need a tidy up top,
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
(https://imageshack.com/i/ndmh8zj) well other motor is in and runs really good,glad its going AGAIN lol Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
(https://imageshack.com/i/n6py7yyj) fitted a long range tank "thanks tooney" and gunna use his old gts rims, I think thell do just nicely, (https://imageshack.com/i/ns8xutj) also hdt style grill coz me other one was all broken, bloody cant wait till I can afford to paint it, (https://imageshack.com/i/nl7soxj) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 8 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today10

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 53 images saved from CT