Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

My A9Y VL Calais Wagon

Started by priceysVL · 4 Sept 2013 · 138 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

philbyArchived member
Glad to see its running! dropped in the other day with a delivery but you were just leaveing
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by philby [View Post] Glad to see its running! dropped in the other day with a delivery but you were just leaveing I did see you but I was to committed down the street to come back up and have a chat haha. Ill order something Mazda so we can have a proper yarn. It just seems to be starved for fuel, not idling properly and struggles to rev. I've got a feeling it might be the fuel, has been sitting for a while. I plan on doing a ground up rebuild, as many new parts as possible, so tomorrow ill order new fuel pumps, internal and external. New fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter and with a few more tweaks, hopefully she will be purring.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Right now I'm so happy. All the headaches in the build seem so distance now, I drove my turbo wagon for the first time. First time driving a VL turbo and I love it. As it sits now Fitted the exhaust up as well, sounds really nice. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Slow going of late. Picked up a genuine Calais steering wheel and mx7 speedo cable. Ordered all new shocks, springs, trailing and control arms. Got the rear springs, trailing arms and shocks fitted today, would've loved to get the fronts as well but couldn't get tr bonnet open haha. How she sits now Hopefully get the fronts done this week, then assess what was causing the bonnet issue, once I get it open. Then look into upgraded sway bars and bushes then some upgraded brakes. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Looking good!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Little update, ordered a heap of stuff from rarespares. - new rubber kit - Calais badges for nosecone and guards, and turbo badge for tailgate - manual surround with boot - bonnet cable Got the bonnet open after taken the grill out, turns out the cable was majorly stretched. I could now replace the front springs, shocks, strut tops and front control arms. Was surprised with how short a time it took. Once installed: New arms: Also got the power windows half sorted, needed a new main switch, the o/s/f needs a new motor and the rears have fallen out of there channels and keep sagging. Hopefully have everything rectified soon and all the windows working. New switches And how she sits now, poor photography skills. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
this is coming together really nicely. apart from the window issues, brakes and cosmetic stuff you mentioned what else have you got to do before you have it on the road?
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Looking mint man. I can't wait to see this flying around the Northern Beaches! We need more VLs around. PS. I can comment here now hehehe.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
That's about all mate, then go through the rego process. Everything I've font so far were the main items I wanted done before registering. All my rare spares parts came! Badges, new rubber kit, bonnet cable and manual surround[COLOR="Silver"] Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Been on my P's over a year man. :P Couple of VL's around but I hardly see them move! I feel like I'm the only one who DD's one haha. A meet would be pretty sweet, get some shots at the top of Forestway carpark or something.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] Been on my P's over a year man. :P Couple of VL's around but I hardly see them move! I feel like I'm the only one who DD's one haha. A meet would be pretty sweet, get some shots at the top of Forestway carpark or something. All okay, I just remembering seeing photos on your Ls. All my previous vls were daily driven but was a pain becuse everything I wanted to do some work it had to be mobile again the next day. Not a fan of car park shoots, I think either north head, fishermens beach in collaroy or any boat ramps would be perfect
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
I'm down for wherever as long as there are VL's involved haha. I might be lowering mine soon, so after that would be good if I do. Need to start gathering parts soon and find the confidence to pull my suspension apart in the garage, lol.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] I'm down for wherever as long as there are VL's involved haha. I might be lowering mine soon, so after that would be good if I do. Need to start gathering parts soon and find the confidence to pull my suspension apart in the garage, lol. piece of piss man. when i did my fronts i didnt take the strut out i just removed the whole hub with the control arm, easiest way. I had a press and all the tools at hand so it took no more than half hour per side. With the rears just make sure you support the diff, might have to undo the trailing arms. If you need any help man, just ask
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Gonna see if I can tuck these under the wagon. 20x8 Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
CYNICLArchived member
Maaaad. Needs phat brakes under them too!!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CYNICL [View Post] Maaaad. Needs phat brakes under them too!! Yep, brake upgrade is in the works
0 likes
philbyArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Gonna see if I can tuck these under the wagon. 20x8 They will look fkin nice! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Got a bit of work done this morning. Fitted new bonnet cable and original steering wheel. Don't worry, it's on straight. And also test fitted my new wheels. I think it looks killer Needs to be a bit lower in the rear, might have to put sedan springs in. Not long til I'm on the road now! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
#adzArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] And also test fitted my new wheels. I think it looks killer i think u may be correct any chance of changing over to the original style rear window seal and trims!
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by #adz [View Post] i think u may be correct any chance of changing over to the original style rear window seal and trims! Not unless something was to happen to the tailgate. It would look better with the square shape moulds but it has had all the rust cut out and a new seal so I'm not complaining
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today91

7,519 threads, 49,751 posts and 725 images saved from CT

22.0% of indexed threads saved