Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Jack's LS1 Calais Wagon build thread

Started by VLWAGONIT · 29 Dec 2012 · 123 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLWAGONITArchived member
Drove the car for the first time in 2 years this afternoon. Goes alright
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Nice man. How'd you go?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
There are still a heap of little things to fix or put back together and its not idling properly but other than that its good fun
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
So the motor and box are out again. Box got stuck in 4th gear and wont come out. Hopefully something has just come loose and it will be all good once its back together. I'm a bit pissed off and over things breaking but at least I can use this as a chance to clean up the bay even more and fix a few more little things on it. Going to be a big update coming up in about a month and a half for it
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Looks like its going to cost about $1300 to get the box fixed and im going to go through with it just for peace of mind so that I don't run into the same problems gain. After all, the whole reason I went LS in the first place was reliability
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
(http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/10452303_10155674338070576_7478979489600177360_n_zps9eiebhu0.jpg.html) Pulled down the rooted first ls1 I had and this is what I found. The motor was still running with these in it Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
lol. eff that. i cant believe somone would keep running an engine like that. must hae made some epic noises
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Believe it or not, it sounded fine. It was only the when we went to start it for a second time and it wouldn't turn over because a valve had snapped off and was jamed between the piston and the cylinder head and it wouldn't turn over that we found out something was wrong haha. I now pull off rocker covers before buying engines
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Cool build man, love the ls1.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Cheers mate. I got the gearbox back this morning ( would have been a month ago but I have been working in Egypt) and then got off my ass this after noon and dropped the motor and box back in again. With any luck it will be running again tomorrow
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Subscribed to this build, nice work man
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Got my **** together and (mostly) finished putting it back together today, put some fuel in it, have it a kick in the guts and it fired up first flick of the key. Haven't driven it yet as I didn't have time to put the bonnet back on (excuses I know) but hopefully I get a chance to tomorrow morning. It's off to get the exhaust finished off on Monday and then I'll take it to get the idle fixed in the tune and then I shouldn't have any more excuses not to drive it any more
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Finally finished the exhaust all the way to the back of the car tonight. I hope I never have to do it ever again. Biggest **** of a job. Also, upgraded the rear sway bar to a sedan one and putting in a set of boxed control arms tomorrow. Should be getting the speedo working soon as well
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wEwBlpuaf7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/01636994-EEAA-41BC-A555-D41A88C3BAFC_zpsrjz4ytdw.jpg.html) (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/E42A13AA-A84A-481C-8EA6-EFAB9B172E40_zpsltusdsew.jpg.html) Finally got the hardware to put the roof racks back on. Ended up replacing all the rivnuts in the roof as they were all knackerd (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/942D5A2D-2664-43E0-B86D-6D9DECCB69A2_zpsgjhp8jdz.jpg.html) Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
---------- Post added 02-09-14 at 20:54 ---------- [/COLOR]Oh yeah, It now has an LS1 and TR6060 in it as well.... ---------- Post added 02-09-14 at 20:56 ---------- For thoes interested, I have used Pacemaker engine and gearbox mounts, Pacemaker Extractors and CRS Starter conversion[/QUOTE] All i read with ls1 conversions is issues with the starter and exhaust and retaining power steering. Howd did you find this. ? Do the pacemaker and crs bits do the job?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
yeah I used the CRS starter kit to swap the starter to the passenger side. its a tight squeeze to get the steering intermediate shaft through the headers but it does fit
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLWAGONIT [View Post] yeah I used the CRS starter kit to swap the starter to the passenger side. its a tight squeeze to get the steering intermediate shaft through the headers but it does fit Do you have any pics of that?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by priceysVL [View Post] Do you have any pics of that? (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/5585D53F-E719-46AA-A367-0DD054DCD6F9_zpsi0umjdl0.jpg.html) (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/29322A49-57C4-4086-AAF4-50AC2575E6E2_zpss8fswzol.jpg.html) Thats about as good as I could get ---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 09:59 ---------- Scored a set of FR18s that need some restoration action on the weekend. (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/D6DF2595-2484-4FF5-975A-A33838868A2D_zpsxfojacvf.jpg.html) (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/03AC5C60-B6D9-49A8-80F2-0460C5568B77_zpsqfuu17gd.jpg.html) (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/vlwagonit/media/E0AE13CD-2B27-4A60-AD5C-641ACB9CB4D6_zpsiatg0oax.jpg.html) I only got 3 lips with them, 2 of which are stuffed and the other one needed the valve stem removed and the hole welded up to match the centers and barrels. I have purchased 3 brand new lips and 4 brand new center caps for them and should be getting the 3 lips on Friday so I'll start rubbing back the centers for paint some time soon. Not in a huge hurry to get them done just yet. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
TheChadArchived member
<3 I'm still not sure which Simmons I like more though... do you still have the gold set of 15s?
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by TheChad [View Post] <3 I'm still not sure which Simmons I like more though... do you still have the gold set of 15s? Nah I sold the V5's about 6 months ago. Wish I had kept them and just horded sets of rims for it though. Got the speedo connected up with other day with the box I bought from Summit Racing and it works mint! The needle doesn't jump at all. The only issue is it is reading out by about 25% or so untill I calibrate it properly but its still better than no speedo at all
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 4 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today100

8,981 threads, 62,105 posts and 788 images saved from CT

26.2% of indexed threads saved