Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
11-08-12, 05:08 GMT+10#61 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT
[View Post]
oh mate, i work for STOCKS, its a shame i didnt know you were after springs and shocks, would have got them really cheap for ya.
Out of interest who served you and when did you come in?
Kelvin
Kelvin. I don't live up your way so the chances of me calling in are pretty slim. Grant looks after me.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-08-12, 12:54 GMT+10#62 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER
[View Post]
Snap! Hahaha. I'm hoping I can get my painter to colour match the whole console.
Hey where is your old Rep these days? Do you know if much else has been done to it? I've still got the NZV8 magazine with it in. Insperation for me to work towards a magazine feature.
alex's car is in hawkes bay the guy works for my dad at the blade shop on omahu road. bit worse for wear than when alex owned it though.
0 likes
11-08-12, 13:06 GMT+10#63 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER
[View Post]
Kelvin. I don't live up your way so the chances of me calling in are pretty slim. Grant looks after me.
Oh yea fair enough.
Grant is on to it and would have given you a good deal.
By the way, went through your build thread...Beautiful car, well done.
Keep up the good work and keep the progress pics coming.
Cheers
Kelvin
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-08-12, 17:34 GMT+10#64 Quote:
Originally Posted by 12maneym
[View Post]
alex's car is in hawkes bay the guy works for my dad at the blade shop on omahu road. bit worse for wear than when alex owned it though.
That sux man. Alex would have invested a decent amount of money into that car.
0 likes
11-08-12, 18:06 GMT+10#65 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER
[View Post]
That sux man. Alex would have invested a decent amount of money into that car.
I remember in 1998, when I was 18, I bought my EVLHSV plates thinking I was going to buy a genuine walky, at the time they were around $25k and I decided I could build one better and cheaper 10 years later and probably $65k+....... you live and you learn
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-08-12, 18:40 GMT+10#66 just read the thread! looks awesome! cant wait to see this at a met??
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-08-12, 19:46 GMT+10#67 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
[View Post]
I remember in 1998, when I was 18, I bought my EVLHSV plates thinking I was going to buy a genuine walky, at the time they were around $25k and I decided I could build one better and cheaper 10 years later and probably $65k+....... you live and you learn
**** you and I are the same age. There was a genuine wlaky for sale where I live in 1998. It was $23k. It had 150k k's on the clock. I was really stretched for fiance and asked my old man to lend me some extra. In the end I was like ah its to higher k's. So I bought a manual vn ss instead. Bad move that was. Then sold the vn and started my vlt passion. I wish I had started building a rep earlier on in life. The price for stuff now is ridiculous. I've tracked down some genuine tweed. I could buy a nice car for what the guy wants per metre
You lived and learnt that you built one of nz's best looking replicas. If not the best to date. Well worth it man.
---------- Post added 11-08-12 at 21:00 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT
[View Post]
Oh yea fair enough.
Grant is on to it and would have given you a good deal.
By the way, went through your build thread...Beautiful car, well done.
Keep up the good work and keep the progress pics coming.
Cheers
Kelvin
Thanks man. I'll do my best. Money is running low now. Got to sell some things.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-08-12, 18:56 GMT+10#68 Fitted the strut mounts and new shocks and springs. Just deciding what to do with the control arms. Ball joints aren't that great and the bushes don't look to good either. Nolathane or new rubber?!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:23 GMT+10#69 Dam you this thread makes me want to work on my fleet haha keep it up man coming along good
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:30 GMT+10#70 Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT
[View Post]
Dam you this thread makes me want to work on my fleet haha keep it up man coming along good
Lol. I like that. Fleet! Just get that wagon back on the road. Gutted I have been away for so long and missed so much stuff.
I'm starting to get a bit of a VLT itch again! Loved my old ones.
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:37 GMT+10#71 Do those adjustable strut tops require a cert ?
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:48 GMT+10#72 Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkins
[View Post]
Do those adjustable strut tops require a cert ?
What adjustable strut tops?! Ahahahaha. Have to see I guess.
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:49 GMT+10#73 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER
[View Post]
Lol. I like that. Fleet! Just get that wagon back on the road. Gutted I have been away for so long and missed so much stuff.
I'm starting to get a bit of a VLT itch again! Loved my old ones.
So much to do so little time for me at the moment haha i've only sat in the calais and turned it over and that was in the dark but yeah your right need to get things moving with the wag !
There used to be lots going on in the NZ side but it has dropped off the last year or so perhaps lots are in the build ?
VLT itch aye lol go on itch it hehe
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
19-08-12, 20:49 GMT+10#74 Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkins
[View Post]
Do those adjustable strut tops require a cert ?
nah mate no need to cert them. your all good there.
---------- Post added 19-08-12 at 19:52 ----------
Ben-we do 'Super Pro' bushes, sway bars etc at work, they cheaper than nolathane and not as harsh, just been pricing it all up for my 2 girls. Not cheap aye!
0 likes
20-08-12, 00:46 GMT+10#75 Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT
[View Post]
So much to do so little time for me at the moment haha i've only sat in the calais and turned it over and that was in the dark but yeah your right need to get things moving with the wag !
There used to be lots going on in the NZ side but it has dropped off the last year or so perhaps lots are in the build ?
VLT itch aye lol go on itch it hehe
cos i left aye mike? i miss the cruises and the good old days.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
20-08-12, 08:11 GMT+10#76 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT
[View Post]
Ben-we do 'Super Pro' bushes, sway bars etc at work, they cheaper than nolathane and not as harsh, just been pricing it all up for my 2 girls. Not cheap aye!
Oh true Kelvin. I was contemplating gett the whole nolatane control arm or rebuilding my arms with new ball joints and bushes. What do you reckon? I priced the arms at Repco. Retail $900. Looking on eBay Oz $265AUD + postage (just waiting on a postage price). Its something that needs to be done that will never get done again in my life time. Hahahaha. I hope.
If you could get me some prices for them maybe? I can get ball joints for pretty reasonable. Its just the mission getting them out and new ones in.
---------- Post added 20-08-12 at 09:15 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12maneym
[View Post]
cos i left aye mike? i miss the cruises and the good old days.
I first joined this forum in the late 90's. There was only a couple from nz.
HSVSUX was the NZ Legend. Still is!!! Hahahaha.
0 likes
20-08-12, 08:47 GMT+10#77 All my bushes are Nolathane, and to be honest, I'm not sure the ride is any harsher than it was with rubber bushes. It certainly handles better though. I purchased an entire vehicle bush kit from autolign, from memory I paid $400 ish, but that was with a trade discount. If your not driving your car, and you wanna save a few bucks in labour, pull the suspension apart and fit as many of the bushes yourself as you can. For the ones you can't fit (the press fit ones) take the parts along with the bushes to an engineering shop, or your friendly mechanic along with a box a beer.
Ball joint separators are your friend and go for about $25 at Supercheap. Worth every cent; wish I had purchased one of these straight away instead of fannying about with the two hammer technique!
0 likes
20-08-12, 10:12 GMT+10#78 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS
[View Post]
All my bushes are Nolathane, and to be honest, I'm not sure the ride is any harsher than it was with rubber bushes. It certainly handles better though. I purchased an entire vehicle bush kit from autolign, from memory I paid $400 ish, but that was with a trade discount. If your not driving your car, and you wanna save a few bucks in labour, pull the suspension apart and fit as many of the bushes yourself as you can. For the ones you can't fit (the press fit ones) take the parts along with the bushes to an engineering shop, or your friendly mechanic along with a box a beer.
Ball joint separators are your friend and go for about $25 at Supercheap. Worth every cent; wish I had purchased one of these straight away instead of fannying about with the two hammer technique!
That's not bad pricing. Just weighing up the options. Original rubbers aren't worth buying. More expensive!
Got all the hard work sussed. Fiited everything else before now.
---------- Post added 20-08-12 at 16:20 ----------
This showed up today! Just need the parts to hook it up to. Hahahaha.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
21-08-12, 07:51 GMT+10#79 I can recommend SuperPro, I had them in my VL. From memory there was around $1,000 worth of SuperPro parts on my 3 page invoice from Stocks when my suspension was done
---------- Post added 21-08-12 at 08:59 ----------
I read somewhere you were looking at FR19s? Can I suggest you look at FR18s as they have a chunkier center that suits the Walky kit better than the thinner FR19s... IMO. I also now think the bigger tyre is more suited to the older car
FR18
FR19
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
21-08-12, 08:39 GMT+10#80 Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
[View Post]
I can recommend SuperPro, I had them in my VL. From memory there was around $1,000 worth of SuperPro parts on my 3 page invoice from Stocks when my suspension was done
---------- Post added 21-08-12 at 08:59 ----------
I read somewhere you were looking at FR19s? Can I suggest you look at FR18s as they have a chunkier center that suits the Walky kit better than the thinner FR19s... IMO. I also now think the bigger tyre is more suited to the older car
FR18
FR19
Its sure is adding up. You had coilovers in the front of yours too right?
I do like the 18's. Craig had them on his Walky. I do have my heart set on the FR19's. Not sure if I will go staggered though.
That FR18 is using what look to be genuine wheel nut covers. Pushes the look closer to the original 16's.
Wheels are a liitle way off. Have to sell the wheels I have on there now. Got the trumpets/runners to pay for and then freight and gst to get the TTB's home.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes