Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

1986 VL calais auto

Started by VL-86-92 · 13 Sept 2010 · 71 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

leb vltArchived member
its all coming together mate, better slowly then not at all, na to turbo convos are easy to do and u dont have to have "much" mechanical knowledge.
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by leb vlt [View Post] its all coming together mate, better slowly then not at all, na to turbo convos are easy to do and u dont have to have "much" mechanical knowledge. well i consider myself to have a bit better mechanical knowledge than alot of people doing work to their cars. and reading up on the conversion, it should be a breeze if i dont need to do ECU or injectors. Well I got off my suspension yesterday, and JESUS it feels good to drive again. 6 months is painful not being able to drive. Speaking of which, lebvlt, are you really out from driving till 2015??
0 likes
leb vltArchived member
by ecu and injectors do mean upgrading them or just changing to stock vlt ecu n injectors? yer mate 2015
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
yeah mate, i just meant upgraing from stock N/A ones to the stock turbo ones. Car is being moved into its workshop tomorrow morning where i can begin the long process of fulfilling the image i have in my mind right now. If only i was some photoshop wizard I could explain I'll get some piccies tomorrow of its new home Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
leb vltArchived member
swapping injectors and ecu are straight forward jobs, if ur keeping the stock na plenum then just remove the top half and undo a cpl of bolts and injetor plugs and thats it, ecu is even easier just unplug the na ecu and plug in the turbo 1..
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
sweet. sounds pretty easy. So the N/A plenum can still be used can't it? I dont see why it wouldnt be interchangable? The whole engine will be removed and parted out to clean and paint individual items, so wont need to worry about how had replacing the injectors is. ANd yeah, ifound out that the ecu is a simple swap too cheers leb Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
leb vltArchived member
nothing stopping u from keeping the na inlet mate, apparently it flows better anyways! but its just so much easier to get the injectors out with the top half off..
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
awesome. I'm pretty keen to get cracking taking it all apart. i just need to pace myself with it all because i will be done once and done right this time (unlike the majority of things i do) here is a few pictures of the shed it in, ill begin working on it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully with uni holidays in a matter of weeks ill start to work more and get some cash Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
Well spent a few hours removing everything. Here is where it is at at the moment.. I like to take pictures. Radiator out...Yes that is a fossilised dragon fly in there Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
Well I have found a turbo setup local that is at a price I dont think I can refuse Hopefully I will be able to go check it out tomorrow. *fingers crossed* What should I look for when I go to check it out? Turbo shaft play? Anything else to keep an eye out for when going over it all?
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
well haven't updated in quite a while. I missed out on that turbo conversion but tomorrow I am picking up a different setup for a good price with pretty much everything I will need. The turbo isn't a stock RB30 turbo but an RB25 turbo. I realise it is smaller but has the same flange size and It means I can upgrade to the slightly larger stock turbo in the future. Here is where it is at now Took the front bumpers off cos they were broken and cracked all over and found out that a few pieces of wire was all that was holding the front left piece on as the plastic had broken away Also installed a new indicator arm. Was a hassle simply due to the steering wheel not wanting to come off easily And managed to get the engine and box out. Never thought I would manage it by myself but was easier than I thought. Also. If you remember a while back I had issues with the car running on 5 cyinders and they found low compression in 3/4 cylinders. This is the exhaust gasket and it clearly shows the 6th exhaust outlet has alot more carbn build up. Could this be a cause for low compression in the cylinder perhaps? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VL-86-92Archived member
Got these today. One has shaft play the other is nice and tight. Also got dump pipe and manifold with oil lines and stuff. Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today25

18,369 threads, 200,328 posts and 2,216 images saved from CT

53.7% of indexed threads saved