Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

New build with updates!

Started by melbv · 17 July 2016 · 124 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Although my current setup is not a N/A bottom end. Mine has high comp and it makes great power on E85. I assumed you would of been running E85. What bottom end you running ? Yeah I will be running e85 for sure now
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Precision rods and CP flat tops.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Precision rods and CP flat tops. So you chose to go high comp over a low comp setup? Any specific reason?
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Not really, I knew I was going to be using E85 and it was by chance I got the pistons and rods really cheap. We were hesitant at first but once it was on the dyno it started making good numbers.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Not really, I knew I was going to be using E85 and it was by chance I got the pistons and rods really cheap. We were hesitant at first but once it was on the dyno it started making good numbers. What setup you got and number you pulled on the dyno ?
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Precision rods, CP pistons, JPC oil pump gears, TX2 cam, Internal gated 35/40 low mount manifold .63 ex housing .70 comp cover, JPC Plenum, 2400cc siemens injectors, E85, R33 5 speed. Has previously made 495rwkw on 43psi.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Precision rods, CP pistons, JPC oil pump gears, TX2 cam, Internal gated 35/40 low mount manifold .63 ex housing .70 comp cover, JPC Plenum, 2400cc siemens injectors, E85, R33 5 speed. Has previously made 495rwkw on 43psi. 43psi on high comp????? Nice figure mate!!
0 likes
AlastairArchived member
Its nothing special. Heaps of people running higher comp than what was being built back in the day.
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Nice..... Gives ne some hope... I just got offered an rb30 head with h2 cams for $100 off a friend... Anyone know what a h2 cam is???? Can't find info about it anywhere!!!
0 likes
DinodoreArchived member
Try asking the mate whos selling it to you lol Probably dont need any form of headwork for the power you are after for the price
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Dinodore [View Post] Try asking the mate whos selling it to you lol Probably dont need any form of headwork for the power you are after for the price Lol yeah he doesn't know either, he bought it off a mechanic lol...
0 likes
Jet R31Archived member
If your using 98 oct..decompress it If its e85..carry on.. Cheers Darren ---------- Post added 17-08-16 at 19:56 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Alastair [View Post] Precision rods, CP pistons, JPC oil pump gears, TX2 cam, Internal gated 35/40 low mount manifold .63 ex housing .70 comp cover, JPC Plenum, 2400cc siemens injectors, E85, R33 5 speed. Has previously made 495rwkw on 43psi. 43psi on a 3540?... cheers Darren
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Yeah mate I just read a looooooong thread in high comp setups and I think that's the way to go. Are 1600cc injectors too big for A street car?? I can swap my 660 injectors for 1600cc e85 injectors... I hope this thread helps people, because if I had not started it and gone with what I thought was norm I would've splashed 10k on an engine rebuild and 10k on bolt ons to end up with a motor that could still blow. If this motor blows I'll throw another in there turn down the boost a little and still have enough power to burn rubber every gear EDIT until I gotta fork out 4K on a box hahaha!!!! ---------- Post added 18-08-16 at 11:45 ---------- Would anyone know if there is a way to find out if work has been done to a head ? Rocker cover is off and head is off the car? If there are things to look out for when I inspect it would be greatly appreciated
0 likes
DinodoreArchived member
Some form of machining marks in the ports possibly, maybe markings on valves/cam etc
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
I honestly don't see how 4 pages of random questions is going to "help" anyone i don't mean to sound rude but talking about it and doing it are completely different Everything u have asked has been covered so many times over so many years 300kw is a number get ur vl and start building it mate Start a build thread and throw up plenty of photos
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] I honestly don't see how 4 pages of random questions is going to "help" anyone i don't mean to sound rude but talking about it and doing it are completely different Everything u have asked has been covered so many times over so many years 300kw is a number get ur vl and start building it mate Start a build thread and throw up plenty of photos Thanks for the comment. Yeah it has been covered extensively and most of the information is found all over the Internet. However I thought it would be good to put up a thread of a build front start to finish on a budget. It will be a recent thread not 5-10 years old and I'm sure it will help a tonne of people along the way including myself. It's a challenge I reckon because it's not as easy as I thought it would be and anyone that reads this once competed will have alllll the information, advice, ups and downs, difference of opinions all in one thread. That's what I wrote to someone else, I believe it makes sense. If you dontthink these questions help then that's ok, but every question gets closer to the finished product. Because of questions and answer from this thread I have purchased almost everything required to have a 350rwkw car. The goal has kept increasing and seems more doable as the days go by. The amount of people who actually participate on this website is very very very low these days, so instead of complaining throw in some ideas or critique the setup and get a good discussion going. If people weren't hammered every time they put up a post maybe there would be plenty more active threads.
0 likes
mattladsArchived member
hijack to my new build with updates because theres not enough photos in here so here is an engine bay to "help" dougall83 it doesnt let me comment in your build thread but your bay is looking great. this thread has been viewed 2700 times so people are participating they are just using the search button instead.. melby everyone has answered and given you opinions but you seem to just be ignoring them all anyway Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by melbv [View Post] Thanks for the comment. Yeah it has been covered extensively and most of the information is found all over the Internet. However I thought it would be good to put up a thread of a build front start to finish on a budget. It will be a recent thread not 5-10 years old and I'm sure it will help a tonne of people along the way including myself. It's a challenge I reckon because it's not as easy as I thought it would be and anyone that reads this once competed will have alllll the information, advice, ups and downs, difference of opinions all in one thread. That's what I wrote to someone else, I believe it makes sense. If you dontthink these questions help then that's ok, but every question gets closer to the finished product. Because of questions and answer from this thread I have purchased almost everything required to have a 350rwkw car. The goal has kept increasing and seems more doable as the days go by. The amount of people who actually participate on this website is very very very low these days, so instead of complaining throw in some ideas or critique the setup and get a good discussion going. If people weren't hammered every time they put up a post maybe there would be plenty more active threads. Like I said mate u could have 100 pages of opinions and Imo that's completely different to a build thread with photos and trial and error scenarios I started the same as u wanted 250kw to 300kw on a budget likewise I don't disagree with what ur trying to achieve but like 90% of these type of threads there is no "real" help just 10 pages of **** to read thru I'm not having a go mate it's just my opinion, I'm glad there r more kids around who want to build tuff vl,s just don't beat a dead horse too long, ---------- Post added 19-08-16 at 19:26 ---------- Mattlads cheers If u Become a member and u will b able too��
0 likes
melbvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by mattlads [View Post] hijack to my new build with updates because theres not enough photos in here so here is an engine bay to "help" dougall83 it doesnt let me comment in your build thread but your bay is looking great. this thread has been viewed 2700 times so people are participating they are just using the search button instead.. melby everyone has answered and given you opinions but you seem to just be ignoring them all anyway I don't need to take everyone's advice, I take the advice that's beneficial for the build and if I'm convinced otherwise then I'll take that path after some research. Don't understand what the issue is, if someone doesn't like this thread all good move on and continue with another thread. I'm trying to see this through to the end. I really think it will be a good complete thread of a build on a budget and a good goal that's recent and relevant to what's out there today. Building a car isn't a 2 week thing, this is all a process and I'm going through the process. If you wanna help then that's excellent and greatly appreciated, if you don't want to help then also cool but I don't want to have to reply to these type of messages explaining myself every single time. Matt the other day you posted about an mf5 and whether it was an mx7 or mf5 did I tell you there are possibly hundreds of threads asking the exact same question? Or tell you to use the search button? Or did I assist to my best ability? If no one wants to help out then no worries lol, I'll talk to myself on this thread till its completed hahah!!! ---------- Post added 19-08-16 at 18:43 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by dougall83 [View Post] Like I said mate u could have 100 pages of opinions and Imo that's completely different to a build thread with photos and trial and error scenarios I started the same as u wanted 250kw to 300kw on a budget likewise I don't disagree with what ur trying to achieve but like 90% of these type of threads there is no "real" help just 10 pages of **** to read thru I'm not having a go mate it's just my opinion, I'm glad there r more kids around who want to build tuff vl,s just don't beat a dead horse too long, ---------- Post added 19-08-16 at 19:26 ---------- Mattlads cheers If u Become a member and u will b able too�� All good. parts are getting purchased, car is being delivered soon there will be plenty of photos and plenty of trials and error. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Will look forward to ur build thread bud
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 17 guests active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today19

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 80 images saved from CT