Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

The VL Sleeper effect, MK III

Started by 350stato · 26 May 2014 · 140 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

bo5tonArchived member
Cheers for dropping into Clark Rubber. Looks like they stock the same as what is stocked down here. However I think that smaller one is the 22 x 13 which is what I tried but didn't quite seem right, not the 22 x 19 in your previous photos... So i'm going to email them and see what's up. Thanks for checking though! Looknig forward to the next update!
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by bo5ton [View Post] Cheers for dropping into Clark Rubber. Looks like they stock the same as what is stocked down here. However I think that smaller one is the 22 x 13 which is what I tried but didn't quite seem right, not the 22 x 19 in your previous photos... So i'm going to email them and see what's up. Thanks for checking though! Looknig forward to the next update! You're right, although the same part number, that kind of sucks, definitely worth contacting them about it, hopefully they still do that size ---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 00:19 ---------- Another very minor amount of progress tonight, Cam and Crank oil seals arrived and got them in, Got the Cam gears and new gates timing belt on, tensioner fitted, ATI Balancer on, Motor is almost complete, only thing left to do to motor is find and fit an oil pickup and refit the lower sump, make an adjustable aternator bracket as I wont be running the factory tensioner pulley as it won't work without power steering or air-con, Once these are done then its ready to make engine mounts and fit it up, gearbox is ready to go, now I need to get the 1JZ van conversion out of the way so I can get into fitting this up and make a car out of it, So while a small update for a couple of hours work, It's quite a big step. ---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 15:47 ---------- Threw an old JZ dummy block in the mock up shell, Everything looks like it'll clear quite well, will have to double check sway bar clearance but I assume it'll be ok, keen to get some mounts made up, Motor will actually sit back a little but its only balancing there for the moment Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Small bits sorted, Finished putting in the door locks, cleaned the original gasket's as new ones seem to be made of unobtainium, Just as well, they came up like new anyway, Finally started on some inside stuff, not a great deal but it makes me feel better about it lol, Door trim's cleaned up well, not that they needed a lot and most things are in fairly good nick but some bits has it's fair share of 30 years of grot Cleaned up all the door handles etc, makes a huge difference when every single bit is cleaned, was nice to see a door complete finally.. The more I look at this car the more I think I am pretty lucky with the purchase, most of these rear ashtrays regardless of trim colour seem to fade back to a pale blue, these are still very well coloured Never even been used which is awesome! as previously stated, 30 years of grot... And still amazed at how well it cleaned up, this is obviously the drivers window winder, the rest were not even half as bad Rest of the door trims on, pretty happy with the outcome, getting keen to sort the shifter so I can get the carpet in and finish the rest of it off Mirror cover's are perfect, Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Small bit done, found a set of mounts to suit 2JZ into VN-VS from Goleby's parts, so I bought them from him and went and bought a VN K-frame... Threw the K-Frame to the mock up body.... OK, had to push the heap of sh!t with a flat tire just so I could get the damn thing close enough to the compressor! Got it in the shed for the frame change, this is the car most of the conversion stuff will be done on so I don't need to worry about it getting dragged around on a trailer or scratched while making/fitting stuff up, once I've got a fair bit done I'll pull it all out, clean/paint everything and put in all the new suspension and bushes etc in the Gold car, Dropped the front end out.. VN K-Frame in Decided to put in the manual rack as well so I can be sure of exhaust clearance etc, I swapped this manual rack set for a power steering setup :P Dummy engine in with mounts, seem to fit ok but left one does need a spot to be clearanced a fraction but super easy enough Dummy block and C4 gearbox in, box fits easy as expected being a small box, still need to make a gearbox crossmember but at moment we just welded a bit of old box steel to a standard auto crossmember to hold the gearbox in place China Manifold and GTX42 turbo fits.. It's kind of like Holden knew this was going to happen and made a clearance spot..... Hopefully I'll find some more time to get some other stuff mocked up in the next few weeks Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
ooh! nice update
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Not a great deal going on but I did get some guys out to do the pin stripping, the front kick is a bit longer than original but I'll live with it, they are also trying to match the lower decal set so hopefully they'll be able to sort something for that, pretty happy to have the stripe back on it, sorry for the **** phone pics... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
dougall83Archived member
Wowee gettn a bit done and I love pinstripe looks mint
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Well, I bought a thing for it lol Will see what thats for later, And no, It's not for writing a list of jobs or parts on... Ok, really, I've got the sh!ts on, I'm moving house and I'm sick of this bloody thing, I'm sick of it sitting around year after year, pushing it around and looking at it's sorry arse, so I bit the bullet..., I bought some stuff, everything else can p!ss off, I'm doing my VL!! lol Just bought a decent list, few things missing from the pic as it's not yet turned up but you get the drift.. 30mm lower King Springs, same as FE2 Koni Red Adjustable shocks Whiteline lower control arms with bushes Whiteline Z bar/radius rod bushes Whiteline Link pin kit Whiteline Swaybar and "D" bushes New strut tops TRW tie rod ends New rack ends and boots DBA 4000 T3 Clubspec VT front and VL rear rotor's Bendix Ultimate brake pads New front wheel bearing's New trailing arm bushes to suit my bigger ones New Neoprene diff bushes Bonnet strut kit So that should be enough parts to keep me out of mischief for a while, The K-frame is currently at the sand blasters getting it's 30 years of grot removed, strip some bits and some paint and things might start to happen.... This is my "hold up the bloody gearbox" mount we mocked up in the wagon shell untill I make a crossmember, Also, when the motor was mocked in the wagon, I came across a small drama, the turbo dump pipe does not fit between the steering rack and the fire wall, can get a 2' pipe at best through there, there was a big hump in the way.. I did say, "was" in the way, mind you, Jake the painter has had a f cking fit at me for this one lol Engine mounts also required a little touching to fit the motor, they fouled on a couple of small sections picture doesnt really show it but it does have clearance but can be seen how much it did foul by Also had to touch this bit on the block, does nothing anyway Good as new!!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Just stumbled across this build, looks awesome! I love the white gold just like my old Calais. I thought I was going crazy cause the shade of gold was darker than it was supposed to be but it did have a respray at some stage before I bought it.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Im salivating waiting for this to finish Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Got a couple little jobs done, Dragged out my badges for the car, the "EXECUTIVE" badge is a NOS item, rest is the best 2nd hand items I could find Got that fridge magnet out, took a razor blade and a rule.... Apparently the original badges are 29mm up and about 45mm in from the edge of the guard Cut some strips of magnet to the correct size... Trial fit.. Did the 3M tape thing on the badges... Checked for bog... -.- pretty happy with it.. 2nd verse same as the first Didn't get time to have a crack at the boot badges and still deciding on measurements for them, think 22mm in and 14mm up sounds right but will double check on an original car when I find one... Stripped and painted up an old set of front struts I had kicking about... Painted up the VN K-Frame... Manual steer rack all recoed thanks to a mate.. K-frame with reco rack and New LCA's all layed out Decided to try show the old girl some love.. Front end is very original.. Front strut's out... Rest of old junk out.... Old vs new front end stuffs Front end stripped from the car, looks very empty in there... Fitted up the VN K-Frame and swaybar.. Original "Z" bar/radius rod's removed and quick paint up.. Fitted up the LCA's, Original "Z" bar's and steering rack, all the new Whiteline bushes installed Decided the wheel arches needed some love, cleaning these SUCK! Painted up with body deadener, much betterer... Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
New Super pro strut tops, decided on standard replacements as I have no need for adjustable stuff New strut stuffs all sorted for fitting.... New King Spring goodness, 30mm lower (FE2/BT1 spec) Struts all put together ready for install New Whiteline link pin kit.. Front struts and VT hub adaptors fitted, I bought all new wheel bearings as well so everything is new and should last quite a few years... New VT DBA T3 rotor's... Pretty happy to finally fit these things up, am more than happy with them, VT Front calipers and VL rear's have been removed and sent away to be reconditioned, as soon as these return I'll be able to finish off the front end and put it back on it's wheels Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
Great job. Looks nice and fresh under there.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Thanks mate, getting a real itch on with this thing.. Got the calipers back today, Got the fronts on, brake lines and wheels and it's back on it's feet, still have to do rear end though Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AnthoArchived member
Front end looks good, she will handle a bit better now too
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Little more weekend progress, Got the front brake lines fitted, excuse the rubbish late night phone pics A mate pulled the column for the manual rack intermediate shaft, he was swearing at me about this job... Poor old girl even got to see some day light.. C4, meet 2JZ, 2JZ, meet C4 Finaf#ckingly.... The car has received some 2JZ love!!!! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MUSArchived member
#boom
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Quick 5 min job that makes the world of difference, Bonnet strut's fitted.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
350statoArchived member
Not a great deal today but something is better than nothing, So I forgot to put the number plate light in the rear bar, *dumbarse* so I had to remove half the rear end to fit it back up, Decided I may as well put the bloody number plate on while I was there.. Then decided I really should do something about the back of it... Couldn't find any info on where the badges sit or find an original to measure off so I just went with the "Turbo" badge measurements, 14mm up & 22mm in, Looks about right to me.. Did the same with the "Holden" badge on the other side Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
They look good to me man
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 10 guests active in the last 15 minutes

3,683 threads, 23,233 posts and 47 images saved from CT